• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Replacement gauges 955L

Rookie955L

When replacing the temp gauges, should I use thread wrap or thread sealant when installing into the block? If not I’m the Maine bushing should I use any for the probe nut?

DMiller

Occupation
Cheap "old" Geezer
Main bushing will be pipe thread, use some sort of sealant there, the probe nut is a straight thread and seals on the probe flange to nut face, no need there.

kshansen

Occupation
Retired Mechanic in Stone Quarry
Wot he said above........
Don't use Teflon tape on any thread if oil is involved. Use a good quality liquid pipe thread sealer such as Permatex. https://www.permatex.com/products/t...nts/permatex-high-temperature-thread-sealant/
Just a personal thing with me but I don't like that Teflon tape on anything. It's too good a lubricant.

Had a bad experience many years ago working on a D398 fuel pump.

I was setting it up and had to run fuel lines to the lift pump. As it always seems to happen with pipe fittings if there is an elbow involved it will get tight enough to not leak around 30º past where it needs to point.

Well on this engine that's what happened so I went to turn it just a bit more so line could be hooked up and "CRACK" the lift pump cover split!

Bad thing as I was 8 hour drive from shop where there was a spare pump sitting, good thing is another crew was leaving the shop latter that day!

After that day my first choice has always been something like: https://www.permatex.com/products/t...ants/permatex-high-temperature-thread-sealant