• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Replacement gauges 955L

Welder Dave

85J is from 1968 to 1977. 1969 is from 1411-2675 and 995L starts at 85J4672 (late 1971). It is not uncommon for people to put wrong stickers on a machine, especially if they try to pass it off as a newer machine than it is.

Nige

G..G..G..Granville.........!! Fetch your cloth.
I need to verify it when I get to the farm but he parts book has 85-J2416 on the cover of it. Feel like she’s in good shape just needs a bit of love.
Just because the Parts Book covers that Serial Number range doesn't necessarily mean the machine itself is in that range. He could have bought a Parts Book from eBay for a "955". Just sayin'
If none of the gauges work (isn't this where we came in..?) that would be slightly at odds with your "good shape" comment, at least in my eyes anyway.

For info 85J1-4671 were produced/badged as 955K. 85J4672-11762 (last built) were badged as 955L.
As Dave said the change in model from K to L took place at the end of December 1971. Basically January 1972 was the first 955L off the production line.

Last edited:

Dave Neubert

When I use the Ironguide it says this would be a 1969 model. That can’t be right, it’s also got L stickers and the condition makes me think the serial number got wrote down wrong.
I think the Ks had brake peddles coming up thru the floor and the Ls had the pedals coming down from the dash

Reactions: DB2

kshansen

Occupation
Retired Mechanic in Stone Quarry
Just because the Parts Book covers that Serial Number range doesn't necessarily mean the machine itself is in that range. He could have bought a Parts Book from eBay for a "955". Just sayin'
If none of the gauges work (isn't this where we came in..?) that would be slightly at odds with your "good shape" comment, at least in my eyes anyway.

I guess it all depends on what one considers "good shape"! You can have a machine with shinny paint and nice straight sheet metal that looks like it just left the factory but still have systems full of rust and crap from sitting. By the same token you could have a machine that has almost none of the paint left on it and a kink or two in every panel that is near perfect in operating condition.

A machine with no working gauges would raise many warning flags for me as does nice shinny paint!

Don't know if this machine came through an auction but do know that many auction places will bring in an outfit to pressure wash or even sandblast equipment and paint to try to get price up when the bidding starts.

Last edited:

Rookie955L

It’s original paint, second owner that rebuilt the trans and engine. He stopped excavating a few years back and used on the farm mostly. The excavating company that lowboyed it for me wanted to buy it before it got to my farm. Also UC is 90%. But I agree the gauges need fixed ASAP....

Rookie955L

You’re absolutely right! On the way to the farm. Been over the road the last 4 days. I’ll update this evening. I appreciate all the input.

Welder Dave

It’s original paint, second owner that rebuilt the trans and engine. He stopped excavating a few years back and used on the farm mostly. The excavating company that lowboyed it for me wanted to buy it before it got to my farm. Also UC is 90%. But I agree the gauges need fixed ASAP....

Original paint and wrong decals doesn't add up especially on 40 year old machine. Neither does none of the gauges working. How can a machine be so well cared for the paint is close to like new and none of the gauges work???

Nige

G..G..G..Granville.........!! Fetch your cloth.
How can a machine be so well cared for the paint is close to like new and yet none of the gauges work???
.........and it has the wrong model number decals on it as well ....... Maybe it's just my suspicious nature but I'm getting the whiff of week-old fish.

Sometime or other (maybe even before the current owner took possession) it would appear, to me at least, this machine has been "tarted up" to present itself as something it isn't. Aka a "DuPont/Ritchie Bros/20-gallon" overhaul or whatever it is known as in your neck of the woods. :(:(

kshansen

Occupation
a "DuPont/Ritchie Bros/20-gallon" overhaul or whatever it is known as in your neck of the woods. :(:(
20 gallons? do they really put it on that heavy around you? Here we call it the 5 gallon overhaul!

I have to admit I'm "guilty" of wrong model decals myself. Back around 30 years ago when I rebuilt my old Farmall BN I could not find BN Decals so I "cheated" and used the only thing I could find and that was plain "B" decals.

Rookie955L

Well never got the pictures but after cutting in a 1/4 mile drive and running hard for 25-30 hrs I’ve got more info. Few of the gauges work, Oil pressure and Engine Temp. Glass is glazed over for the rest and dead. Starts great, no smoke, and steers and has plenty of power. The down side is it’s eatting oil about half a gallon or more of oil. I started a new thread and posted some pics. I feel like I got lied to about the model but I do know the UC is in great shape. I hope the leaks aren’t too bad....

Rookie955L

I’m getting new gauges ordered up and can’t find what this red button does. Mine isn’t functioning obviously but if it’s needed I’d like to repair it. I’ve attached a picture from SIS.

Attachments

• CB37AED5-F1CB-4442-B17A-C5F04B474B84.jpeg
    CB37AED5-F1CB-4442-B17A-C5F04B474B84.jpeg
    80.8 KB · Views: 18

kshansen

Occupation
Well not sure where that picture came from on SIS but this is the picture I find in the operators manual section:
85J2416.png

As I suspected that red button is for the 40 amp main breaker. If it pops out you need to find the cause and fix it.

Just know that it only comes out a very little amount almost too little to notice, but if nothing has power that is the first thing to check. It should make a noticeable "click" when pushed in to reset.

If you have SIS access go to "Media Search and enter this: -SEBU5511 and it should take you to the Operation manual

DMiller

Occupation
Cheap "old" Geezer
That circuit breaker will have a little play in it, not a lot just a slight movement and wiggle able. When they Pop it will stick out about a full 1/2" set will be about 1/8-3/16" tall off surface.

bunkclimber

I have a 977K and the trans temp gauge was dead last year,I went online and bought a mechanical aftermarket trans temp gauge,installed and it was OK for about a year then stopped working altogether..now the shiny chrome surround is rusting and looks like s@#$,even with it being a barn kept machine..I shoulda bought a SW or Autometer gauge for it,probably just another $10