• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Replacement gauges 955L

Rookie955L

Hey guys, new owner of my first tracked/heavy equipment. Building a house on our farm and picked up a great 85J K or L. All the gauges are dead on it and I’d like to get them replaced. Can anyone recommend a site or do you recommend CAT only? I appreciate the help and I’ve got tons of reading to do!

petepilot

Hey guys, new owner of my first tracked/heavy equipment. Building a house on our farm and picked up a great 85J K or L. All the gauges are dead on it and I’d like to get them replaced. Can anyone recommend a site or do you recommend CAT only? I appreciate the help and I’ve got tons of reading to do!
if you can even get them from cat you will pay through the nose for them. I would look for stewart warner after mkt. lot cheaper and just as good

Welder Dave

Cat is ridiculous. They wanted over $4.00 just for the rubber gasket that goes around the oil pressure gauge. The gauge doesn't even come with it.

Labparamour

I have an old Deere 450 crawler that had non-functioning gauges.

I found my gauges were good , it was the sending units that were bad.
Maybe check that first?

Darryl

Rookie955L

Glass is all good just needles are t moving on them. If I were to start looking so I need to pull part numbers for each individually or can I just find a place that sells generic fit all type gauges?

Labparamour

I removed and grounded out the wire at each sending unit and found my gauge needles moved. New sending units fixed my water and tranny temp issues.
Somewhere in her life, someone put a wet gauge in for oil pressure.

Labparamour

I’ve been chasing wires and re-doing the wiring harness.
The manual schematic shows all electric gauges and sending units.
She was a Craigslist purchase by me. I’m finding she had a hard life....

DMiller

Occupation
Cheap "old" Geezer
Likely not as hard as my old Allis. It has all mechanical instrumentation where may not be absolutely clear but readable and functional.

kshansen

Occupation
Retired Mechanic in Stone Quarry
A machine Serial Number would get you some part numbers for the required gauges, plus remove all doubt regarding what type they are.

Agree very much! And if as the first post says "All the gauges are dead" makes me think there is a common problem between them and might just need a wire fixed if they are electrical, but till we know what it has no way to make a accurate suggestion on how to fix.

Like I often had to remind one of my bosses, "Just because there is a Bulldog standing one the hood does not make them all the same!"

Mother Deuce

Agree very much! And if as the first post says "All the gauges are dead" makes me think there is a common problem between them and might just need a wire fixed if they are electrical, but till we know what it has no way to make a accurate suggestion on how to fix.

Like I often had to remind one of my bosses, "Just because there is a Bulldog standing one the hood does not make them all the same!"
That last sentence I have to (huge Mack fan that I am not) disagree with! :) Mack makes a truck that needs driving... Paccar makes trucks that you ride in! :)
I never remember to bring enough paper bags or scissors with me if I'm running a Mack LOL!

Rookie955L

I need to verify it when I get to the farm but he parts book has 85-J2416 on the cover of it. Feel like she’s in good shape just needs a bit of love.

Attachments

• 349C6248-EE02-4145-A3EB-01283646FF56.jpeg
    349C6248-EE02-4145-A3EB-01283646FF56.jpeg
    3.6 MB · Views: 36

Rookie955L

When I use the Ironguide it says this would be a 1969 model. That can’t be right, it’s also got L stickers and the condition makes me think the serial number got wrote down wrong.