• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Readying for the KW

kshansen

Occupation
Retired Mechanic in Stone Quarry
When I prime a engine oil system, I use the bulk oil metering gun on the hose reel. Remove the twist nozzle on end and have JIC fittings for gun and block.
Pumps the oil system full in no time.

Done that more than once, with VC's off just to see oil up at the top end.

DMiller

Occupation
Cheap "old" Geezer
Already opened the box and yes match, but the turds be Oklahoma grown!
Cannot remember starting a engine without prelube since I was a pup,
Was why I built the old tank.

DMiller

Occupation
Cheap "old" Geezer
Oh to end any confusion, the unboxed seat was already unboxed when got it, the one in the box is the photo of the one in the box!! And is still in the Box!!

DMiller

Occupation
Cheap "old" Geezer
Weather finally REALLY shut me down, have parts coming in can pick up but Cold sat upon our little region and shop is shuttered for now. Fluorescent Lighting has dimmed to half, no heat on larger bay side and water in there can now freeze anywhere close to door. Hands do not like me anyway but cold basically shuts off prolonged use. So until warms up truck sits patiently.

DMiller

Occupation
Cheap "old" Geezer
Even our Ground Source is unhappy today, barely keeping up. Gonna have to add a Water Boiler heating coil or a Wood Stove, or Both.

crane operator

Even our Ground Source is unhappy today, barely keeping up. Gonna have to add a Water Boiler heating coil or a Wood Stove, or Both.

I've always wanted a wood stove in our house, we're all electric and just a heat pump, so if the power goes out, we're in trouble. My last house had propane heat, so I could run my blower and electric off a small generator and could have heat when the power was out. Made it through a week of this kind of weather with no power with just a small generator.

My house now just doesn't have a good place to put a chimney in. Small generator won't turn my heat pump. I guess I could do outdoor boiler, but then I still need power. Maybe one of the propane wall heaters?

The best is - the local utilities are all over the news to have everyone "conserve energy". They shut down several of the coal generators in springfield in the last couple years, and have converted some to natural gas. We'll guess what. With the cold the wells are supposedly freezing up in texas and OK, and solar and wind just don't cut it.

Natural gas prices are supposedly up also, so guess who's getting bigger bills. Next thing we'll be back to third world status like CA with rolling blackouts.

DMiller

Occupation
Cheap "old" Geezer
Just announced in our local Rag Newspaper and on COMO tv news CNG prices surging UP, asking for conservation as bills will also surge UP.

DMiller

Occupation
Cheap "old" Geezer
When Built did not alot a spot for a flue either, spray foam insulated and Hardy Concrete Sided so a Major PITA to set one now. Insurer did not want to have to adjust our bill for inside fire source so put it on back burner, bad choice.

IF, major BIG IF ever get to build anything else will have some form of wood fired heat.

skyking1

We are in the same spot no gas only electric. Our Split mini's will keep up till about 25 and then they do struggle, so the last two days I turned on the electric furnace. @DMiller our next house will also have a place for a wood stove.

Don.S

Electric baseboard heat here and everything else in the house is electric. I am about as cheap as one can be so first thing i did when i bought this place was put a big wood stove in the basement. My electric bill is every two months and gets about 75$ more expensive in the winter. Would not trade that stove for anything

Willie B

Occupation
Electrician
Mrs B parks in a sea of Subarus & Priuses every day at the school she teaches. Carbon footprint is an obsession. ONLY environmentalists are allowed to work there. They take a dim view of her Jeep Grand Cherokee in the lot. She drives 1.5 miles to get there. When the subject comes up, she asks how much oil or propane they use for home heating. We use none.

DMiller

Occupation
Cheap "old" Geezer
Prius and Leaf cars, any of the battery power cars require TONS more energy than solar will provide, not gonna get it off the grid without being Drilled for Fuel Produced or Fossil. The batteries use Lithium and require Severe mining with MILLIONS of tons of waste and waste water, about as dirty as it gets.

BigWrench55

Prius and Leaf cars, any of the battery power cars require TONS more energy than solar will provide, not gonna get it off the grid without being Drilled for Fuel Produced or Fossil. The batteries use Lithium and require Severe mining with MILLIONS of tons of waste and waste water, about as dirty as it gets.

Not to mention all of the plastic holding those pieces of crap together. :)

Don.S

• 6.08¢/kWh for energy consumed up to 40 kWh per day times the number of days in the consumption period (1st tier)
  • 9.38¢/kWh for the remaining energy consumed (2nd tier)

Don.S

So right now i am finishing the basement so if i run the stove hard its just too hot to work. We are averaging $5.30 a day for hydro. That powers everything in my house.