• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Readying for the KW

DMiller

Occupation
Cheap "old" Geezer
Did get to Cat picked up spacer plate almost scared to open the box. And KW
This is a Tousan Dollas!! $1k a Grand!!!!
Sitting on the back seat of my car next to a Kleenex box.

ECBBB7B4-85BB-4295-8C2C-91EC404178F4.jpeg

DMiller

Occupation
Cheap "old" Geezer
Mostly interior stuff
Steering column parts, fasteners, shift boots, p/s seal kit, two fuel caps misc SMALL parts

Did get a quote on seats
Legacy higher end units Long wear Cloth upholstery $590and change each. High back swing down longer arm rests
Is gonna check availability for two entire seatbelt assemblies(shoulder belt retractors trashed) call me tomorrow
Seats Always on special thru them.

DMiller

Occupation
Cheap "old" Geezer
Yep, and still SPENSIVE as all get out!

Today got clutch return spring on, column tilt mechanism replaced and cable installed/adjusted, replaced pins in throttle assembly and piddled with getting the excess trash hauled out for today's trash day!
That Tousan Dollas parts all laid out and the pins for the throttle pedal.
IMG_8967.JPG IMG_8968.JPG IMG_8972.JPG
Tomorrow will have PTO seals to install and reset to refill box, then p/s steering input and output seals to replace. It was on a Ross gear really similar to this TRW unit I almost lost Left Eye.
Parts buy from IPD has been charged to my Visa, hope they come early next week. Spotted a "Good Used 6NZ Processor" on fleabay, it should be here tomorrow, already downloaded the SIS electrical diagrams and pin identifiers for the Edit, reposition.

Last edited:

DMiller

Occupation
Cheap "old" Geezer
Current order at KW is OE style Floor mat, both seat belt assemblies, under dash panel 'S' clips and Two seats. There be OVER a Grand Day!!

DMiller

Occupation
Cheap "old" Geezer
Those will be the last orders for a short time. Will work on finish cleaning and assembling majority of engine then have to allow a Cash reload in the Bank for the exch injector set and single turbo/manifold kit. Also still awaiting the MO SHP MVI Div inspector to show up, may be awhile as we received 2" snow today, he may be busy elsewhere.

Willie B

Occupation
Electrician
I'm feeling just a bit better about my "big truck".
When I offered a fire department 1/2 the asking price for a seldom used fire truck, I thought I had a bargain. It had 640 hours total on the engine, much of that sitting idling while training was in progress. These drive the pump behind the transmission, so the odometer piles up miles while the pump rotates to prevent freezing.

I figured roughly 10,000 miles + unknown hours pumping, (200?) The rest idling to circulate. Odometer recorded less than 31,000 miles.

Everything looked good, some rust on the springs. Maxi cans were not pretty.

I ran the numbers in my head, paid the fire chief, and drove away.

I flatly refuse to total the money spent. I couldn't live with myself.

Latest event was radiator rebuild. We buggered the hood when a cable let go unexpectedly. I then discovered there was a lot of hood repair before I bought it. I've searched the country, only found one claimed to be unbroken around the hinges. It is half a country away, and they want half what I paid for the rest of the truck.

The nose, (first four inches of the whole truck) has been in the cellar weeks now as I find too little time to try my hand at fiberglass repair. I'll fabricate reinforcement to carry hood weight past the headlights to larger surface above. Other styles of GM trucks had headlights farther from the hinges, they didn't get stress cracks around the hinges.

I hope to cure a shake, I believe is driveshaft issue, add AC & persuade Mrs. B to tow the camper with it. It dumps, so I could carry a runabout vehicle of her choice on the bed, (a Jeep of many varieties).

DMiller

Occupation
Cheap "old" Geezer
Received phone call from Rep
Really respected politically correct email
Wanted to report the managers for DOR and DMV div of DOR are being summoned to the Capital chambers
Seems mine is one of HUNDREDS as to less that courteous and less than instructive or helpful complaints
“They will be getting this changed”

DMiller

Occupation
Cheap "old" Geezer
And I did get the ID OD second inspect done today, That form is in the mail back to DMV currently. Also resealed the PTO, should be able to get the air side reconnected tomorrow to cycle it and keep seals cut in. 489 series Chelsea, shaft exposed on both ends as has a lube thru port for a spline coupling, it also got a blocking plug installed. Found one gasket three cover bolts thru threads, indicator switch, both shaft seals and a mounting bolt thru the threads leaks.

Last edited:

Willie B

Occupation
Electrician
Good luck with that. VT DMV has been a nightmare most of my life:

I once bought a vehicle from the Federal Government. These vehicles come with a pound of paperwork proving it is a legitimate purchase. The Federal Government does not use titles, they do not provide titles. My Jeep was floundering in paperwork 3 months before they figure out how to register it.

I once bought a car from a widow after her husband died. The car was in both names, but as everything they owned was in both names, there was no probate required. It took four months before my car was registered.

After my father retired & turned the business over to me, I bought a pickup for him. He traded his pickup to buy the new one. I paid for the trade cost. It was titled in both names with legal language for rights of survivorship. It took years to resolve that one.

My uncle got old. I & my son accompanied him on boat excursions years. Eventually, he stopped going along, always made an excuse. I stored in my possession for years. He talked of signing it over to me, but never got around to it. Ultimately, he died without any paperwork passing between us. I was his executor, I could have forged something. I opted to be honest. I went to DMV, explained the situation: "I have nothing in writing saying I own it."
The DMV lady asked: "How long have you had it in your possession?"
I answered: "Nine years."

"You own it." she replied.

Go figure?!

I've always considered DMV more THE DEPARTMENT OF OBSTRUCTION.

Willie B

Occupation
Electrician
And I did get the ID OD second inspect done today, That form is in the mail back to DMV currently. Also resealed the PTO, should be able to get the air side reconnected tomorrow to cycle it and keep seals cut in. 489 series Chelsea, shaft exposed on both ends as has a lube thru port for a spline coupling, is also got a blocking plug installed. Found one gasket three cover bolts thru threads, indicator switch, both shaft seals and a mounting bolt thru the threads leaks.
Will you use a PTO?

DMiller

Occupation
Cheap "old" Geezer
Will remain a Option, is no pump attached just blank flanged but still need to cycle the box on occasion keep seals surfaces cut in. Right Tank is compartmentalized, Front HYD and Rear Fuel so a Wet kit could easily be reinstalled, pump lines and control.

DMiller

Occupation
Cheap "old" Geezer
Took little woman's Exploder into Ford last night, rear suspension and a roof rack notice to check on, added a growl seeming from the R Frt. And Yes, the RF Wheel bearing had begun failing due to tree drive over so left message for our Insurance Claims Clerk with Invoice number and costs. $581. and change!!!

DMiller

Occupation
Cheap "old" Geezer
Been at it in shop, dragged out ALL the excess crap and threw on the little trailer still have odds ends and new parts going together. Disassembled Right Door, got stop assembly replaced, have glass out until pick up a few replacement Aluminum 3/16 hucks as two broken for outer window seal frame. Have a few screws to change out and maybe pick up some interior screw head upholstery washers. R Door lock manual knob was broken will see what that entails. Replaced input seal on Steering box today, was working over the counter bores after that and Fedex Frt called, be in town tomorrow, driver will call as close to town with lift gated trailer. Will swap in town to my pickup and come home. Engine internals have arrived.

Will be another trip to KW Wed or Thu, parts arriving there as well, be dropping off Tax paperwork at accountant same trip as not far away.

DMiller

Occupation
Cheap "old" Geezer
Almost forgot Wiper motor to arm linkage is in shop floor, swaged link at motor for R Arm feed is FUBAR where would allow arm to random swing nearly anywhere and pivot point bushings worn to allow the wipers to over travel. Arm spline bores are beaten to a pulp expanded and could move on the spline with nut tight so two of the $150 arms will be necessity!! Splined pivots appear to be in good standing order with the small side pin also OK. Date code on linkage shows been changed around 2007. Per parts mgr at KW, been updated a few times since then.

DMiller

Occupation
Cheap "old" Geezer
Today was busy
Cleaning up small stuff
Procured a pair of newer 3/4-16 taps as my 45 year old unit is getting dull!!
Need to thread chase head bolt holes and make certain CLEAN and able to thread head bolts in unabated

Fedex truck and I met up in town this all showed up today
Checking shipping contents list. Amazing how much stuff scatters out inventorying

1E9D3DE7-B942-4F20-A3F7-DFD8C5CFF57C.jpeg 97F2C70B-1710-406C-B4C4-3260F4B19993.jpeg FFAC4A9B-FFA7-44E2-81A2-C2932C2B0417.jpeg 643DCF74-65AE-44BA-BE26-B015994318F3.jpeg