• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Questions for IUOE local 150 members

Heavywrenching

Hey guys, I have read threads on this forum for a long time but just recently joined. Here’s a little background on me and why I’m making this, most likely long, post. I’m a heavy equipment mechanic for a dealership in the Chicagoland area. My shop is IAMAW local 701 (primarily an automotive union). The Chicago IUOE local 150 is currently taking application and I’m thinking of applying. Everyone I talk to say local 150 is where the money is at for anything involving equipment. My current shop’s pay scale is decent, but from what I can find it is 5$ - 10$ below the local 150 scale. The unions also provide insurance. Our 701 insurance is enough for one person, but once you get a family on the insurance with you it gets expensive. Local 150 has double the amount monthly for insurance. The last factor is pension, the local 150 has a great pension and the 701’s is a total joke. I’m a year and a half into my 701 apprenticeship but it seems like the Local 150 is better in every way and I don’t want to wait until it’s to late or I’m too invested into the 701 to start over. I guess what I’m looking for is any Local 150 mechanics or operators on here that have done the apprenticeship and can give me some insight on what I could expect. Any IUOE from other locals are welcome to chime in also. I’ve never worked anywhere but dealerships, but I want to get myself into a position that is going to be the best for myself and my wife in the long run. Thanks guys!

old-iron-habit

Occupation
Retired Cons't. Supt./Hospitals
I have no direct knowledge of the workings of Local 150 but after working 44 years and 7 months before I retired I would certainly go in a construction union again. Like everything else you will get out of it what you put in. I good hand will make good. No one is going to carry a slacker.

DMiller

Occupation
Cheap "old" Geezer
Was in Teamsters 600, IAMAW 777 and IBEW 309 before got into IUOE 148(Stationary). Best Union for benefits and wage packages was IUOE, has changed down some as is power station but general consensus between IBEW or Teamsters were the only others I would have considered remaining in. Teamsters was hardest to get into where had the harshest Local to Company control methods, IBEW was decent but often cow'd down to management to keep employed, IUOE 148 has started down that road. Only had 9 years total IAMAW, had 21 years IUOE and 2 in IBEW.

Steve Favia

Occupation
Retired local 150 Operating Engineer
I’m a32 year member of 150,absolutely the best,pay scale ,insurance,pension make the move from 701you have a relatively short amount of time in you won’t be sorry.The amount of work in Chicagoland area is really good right now and into the foreseeable future especially for good mechanics! good luck!

dust eater

I have 37 years in 150 and no regrets. Apply for an apprenticeship, don't be discouraged if you don't get in the first time. the training site is top notch as is the insurance and the pension. There are no short cuts though you will have to complete the whole program. The first 2 years you'll starve, but so worth it in the long run.

John C.

Occupation
Machinery & Equipment Appraiser
I was in the International Association of Automotive and Aerospace Workers twice and receive a small pension from them now. Getting out when I did was probably the best move I ever made concerning unions. The first time I was in I was an apprentice. Was supposed to get two years off the apprenticeship and when the paper work came in, they only gave me one. Retirement vesting at that time was ten years and the economy busted when I had three and a half years and got laid off. Checked in at the hall to get a withdrawal card and was told that any job I found where the union was in place I would have to turn it over to someone higher on the withdrawal list. I didn't look for a union job after that. About eight or nine years later I had another opportunity at another dealer and went to check on the withdrawal card and was told I had to pay initiation fees again because I was out longer than in. Vesting the pension was five years this time and I did that and left that employer. I got notification after the meltdown in 08 that the pension funds were depleted and that I may lose part of the meager checks that I earned as the government will have to make up the difference because of the unions incompetent pension managers.

I don't know from the acronym that you used that these are the same unions, but all the shop employees in the union I was in have dropped them and taken 401K programs. It didn't make sense to pay for a pension that is being used to pay those who already retired and there be nothing left for the young people currently paying into it. I was lucky in that when I left, the union bought an annuity on me and pays me from that. Maybe my benefit won't drop. Those that stayed got the shaft. Everyone in my days there complained that there wouldn't be any social security by the time they retired and that the union pension would keep them going until they died. Social security is still here and the union pension is now nearly gone.

If it is the same union and you are not near vesting the retirement, I would say to run like the wind.

Tinkerer

To the op of this thread.
You need to call the Local 150 Training Site and get an appointment to talk to one of the coordinators. That is where you will get the answers to your questions.
Are you wanting to work in a dealership that has a contract with 150 ?
Or are you interested in buying your own truck and work out of the hall with it ?

Steve Favia

Occupation
I believe the apprenticeship is still taking applications.At the meeting last month the agents we’re willing to talk with anyone interested in starting an apprenticeship,having a hard time filling seats,with the amount of work especially since end of the year push.I would think since you’ve already started the trade you might have a pretty good chance of getting in.

Heavywrenching

I believe the apprenticeship is still taking applications.At the meeting last month the agents we’re willing to talk with anyone interested in starting an apprenticeship,having a hard time filling seats,with the amount of work especially since end of the year push.I would think since you’ve already started the trade you might have a pretty good chance of getting in.
How would I get in contact with one of the agents or someone in 150 to talk to? Just call the hall?

Heavywrenching

To the op of this thread.
You need to call the Local 150 Training Site and get an appointment to talk to one of the coordinators. That is where you will get the answers to your questions.
Are you wanting to work in a dealership that has a contract with 150 ?
Or are you interested in buying your own truck and work out of the hall with it ?
New
Hey everyone, I was not expecting so many good replies so quickly! You guys are awesome. But to answer some more of the questions, my hope would be to get a job through the union with either a 150 dealership or with a contractor in their shop or service truck. I’m only 22 and don’t currently have the cash to buy a truck and work for myself. To be honest I probably don’t have the knowledge to work for myself yet either. I’m doing well but still have a lot to learn in the industry. As I said I have a decent job right now which is really the only reason I’m nervous as I don’t want to leave something decent with the ideas of somethingbetter in my head only to get myself into trouble.

Heavywrenching

I have 37 years in 150 and no regrets. Apply for an apprenticeship, don't be discouraged if you don't get in the first time. the training site is top notch as is the insurance and the pension. There are no short cuts though you will have to complete the whole program. The first 2 years you'll starve, but so worth it in the long run.
That’s the thing, the bottom of the 150 scale isn’t that much different than where I’m at the on our contracts scale right now, probably a 4$ an hour pay cut if I started out at the bottom in the 150 but seems like the benefits and pension make up for that. Not to mention the 150 pay will be better in the long run. What are dues like in the 150?

DMiller

Occupation
Cheap "old" Geezer
IUOE here had a Base figure per month then a percentage of Gross wage added on if get into six figures. My own at $46/hour came out to around $90/month

Steve Favia

Occupation
I would contact the Training Site and talk to the coordinator or his secretary and tell them you’re experience and you’re situation. They may have you go to one of the district halls and fill out the application packet, I believe it’s a 25 dollar fee. They make a decision on the application’s you’re experience will help a lot.You’re pay scale will accelerate quick! Strongest trade union, make the move you won’t regret it

Heavywrenching

I would contact the Training Site and talk to the coordinator or his secretary and tell them you’re experience and you’re situation. They may have you go to one of the district halls and fill out the application packet, I believe it’s a 25 dollar fee. They make a decision on the application’s you’re experience will help a lot.You’re pay scale will accelerate quick! Strongest trade union, make the move you won’t regret it
Thank you for your insight and encouragement sir

Tinkerer

An IUOE mechanic with his own truck doesn't mean that he is self-employed. Although a few of them are.
They get their work thru the hall.
Contractors will always pay for your truck to be used while you are employed by them.
It is sometimes more cost efficient for them not to own the truck.
The company owned trucks are almost always the ones that work full time.
I saw a lot of mechanic owned trucks work year around.
I turned down an offer (request) to work as a mechanic in a company owned truck.
I stayed with that contractor running dozers for many years after that offer.