• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Questions for IUOE local 150 members

Heavywrenching

Excellent you won’t regret it!You will need two letter’s of recommendation from 150 operators retired or active when you turn in your application.You’re young enough to start piling in hours for a very comfortable retirement! Good luck!
Oh shoot I didn’t realize the letters of recommendation had to be from 150 memebers. I just have a couple from old bosses and college instructors. Guess I need to see if any of the field guys at work will write one for me as they are all local 150.

Tinkerer

The lower pay scale of an apprentice does not equate to lower income.
If you are a decent worker and easy to get along with co-workers you would most likely work a LOT of hours because you are cheap help in the eyes of employers.
I have seen journeymen get laid off and apprentices stayed.
There was time when certain jobs required apprentices to be employed along side journeymen. I don't know if that is still true.

old-iron-habit

Occupation
Retired Cons't. Supt./Hospitals
Ok that is good to now I had no idea. So for example if a 150 guy at a dealership wanted to leave and go work for a contractor he wouldn’t be allowed to just be hired by that contractor? So essentially you don’t go out job hunting, the union will find you work? The IUOE sounds better in almost every way except maybe stability? Unless I was to get another dealership. That’s the one thing my my current job has at least is stability and no chance of lay offs really.

If you handle your end of things, keeping working is normally never an issue. Believe me, Contractors and Business Agents know who is worth a crap and who is not. Once your name gets out as a good hand, if for some reason you get laid off, because of who knows why, there will be contractors and shops calling for you.

Heavywrenching

If you handle your end of things, keeping working is normally never an issue. Believe me, Contractors and Business Agents know who is worth a crap and who is not. Once your name gets out as a good hand, if for some reason you get laid off, because of who knows why, there will be contractors and shops calling for you.
Appreciate it man. Picking up my application on Wednesday hopefully

Heavywrenching

One more question if anyone sees this, when going into a IUOE mechanic apprenticeship will I be getting a job as soon as possible or is it going to be more like going back to school? I already went to a 2 year program and got an associates degree for diesel tech before I started at the dealership. I want to go IUOE but don’t really want to do school all over again and can’t afford to just be in classes.

Steve Favia

Occupation
Retired local 150 Operating Engineer
One more question if anyone sees this, when going into a IUOE mechanic apprenticeship will I be getting a job as soon as possible or is it going to be more like going back to school? I already went to a 2 year program and got an associates degree for diesel tech before I started at the dealership. I want to go IUOE but don’t really want to do school all over again and can’t afford to just be in classes.
When you start you’re apprenticeship,you’ll probably be dispatched pretty quickly especially with the amount of work out there they really want to get the apprentices out , because you’re already working as a mechanic is going to help, make sure you discuss it with the coordinator.

Ledhead0085

Oh shoot I didn’t realize the letters of recommendation had to be from 150 memebers. I just have a couple from old bosses and college instructors. Guess I need to see if any of the field guys at work will write one for me as they are all local 150.
How do I get 2x letters of recommendation from 150 union members if I can't work with them because I'm not in the union? The couple I know say they will write then but never do.

skyking1

also known as Journeying in. I did that in 1990 after several years of Crawler loader experience and excavator experience.

Ledhead0085

Welcome to HEF, Ledhead !
You don't need those letters until you go to the training site and talk to a coordinator about applying for membership.
Unless you already have done that.
There are vacancy's right now for new members.
I applied 3 years ago and I've called back. They said my application is uncomplete because not having those letters of recommendation. I have CDL A class too. You would think they would let me in since they need people with CDLs. I called again. They said I will have to start over since my application is so old now. I still don't have the recommendation letters.

Heavywrenching

That’s kind of where the “not what you know but who you know” comes in unfortunately. What program are you trying to apply for? Operator, tech, or driller? If you have guys who say they will I would write a basic recommendation letter yourself and then just get them to sign it and put their ID number on it

Steve Favia

Occupation
Retired local 150 Operating Engineer
The letters have to be with the application packet,then all the applications are reviewed but must be complete. All apprentices are required to obtain a CDL through the training site.

Ledhead0085

That’s kind of where the “not what you know but who you know” comes in unfortunately. What program are you trying to apply for? Operator, tech, or driller? If you have guys who say they will I would write a basic recommendation letter yourself and then just get them to sign it and put their ID number on it
I'm applying for equipment operator. I'm not really sure on how to write a recommendation letter for myself tho ether. Im not the best at tooting my own horn. I've tried looking at examples. They all seem pretty bland and I'm sure have been copied and used a million times