• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Priority flow control valve

roddy

This circuit is used to charge the brake accumulator then the dump/hoist and steering pilot circuit etc. on a 7.5 yard scoop.

I'm a little green and trying to make sense of the print but don't understand the priority flow control valve symbol. Anyone care to take a crack at explaining it to me?

Auxblock_zps0cf747d8.jpg

JackDeere

The pump flow comes in at port #8. Flows through orifice 4 to the check valve at the charge valve. Tees out at the charge valve spool and goes down to the park brake valve, hand pump check check valve, ( to release the park brake in case of pump failure), to the brake accumulator. The brake accumulator will charge automatically as long as there is pump flow. Once the accumulator if fully charged the pressure builds and will spool the charge valve against the spring and open the pump flow to the rest of the machine. The purpose is to maintain brake and steering pressure before the rest of the machine. May not be exact but that's the general idea.

Cmark

What the priority valve symbol means in detail I dont know. I've not seen a priority valve symbol like its before but in general, its job is to take pump oil in at the left side then send oil firstly to the right side to make sure the accumulator charging valve (item 5) has the brake accumulator fully charged. Once that's happened, the accumulator charging valve will close. (The pressures acting on both sides of the spool will equalise, but the spool will be pushed to the left by the bias given by the adjustable spring you can see on the left side)

Now the priority valve is going to send flow out of the bottom to the fan motor. This then returns to the valve to go through a filter (8) and become pilot pressure limited by relief valve (7). Excess oil from this relief valve goes to the cooler whose internal pressure is limited by relief valve (6).

willie59

Administrator
Occupation
Service Manager
Cmark is pretty much spot on with the operation of the priority valve and the rest of the circuit as well. And to agree with him as well, as I view the schematic, I see nothing that indicates it operates anything other that the brake circuit (along with accumulator on that circuit), the charge valve (which is nothing more that a circuit pressure regulator), and the fan motor, which as Cmark noted, return oil from fan motor goes on to become pilot system pressure supply. I see nothing on this diagram that indicates it powers steering or loader functions other than possible pilot controls of these functions.

Back to the priority valve symbol, it is a priority style flow regulator first of all, non adjustable orifice. The line coming out of the side of the orifice going to the fan motor is a by-pass (or secondary) circuit. Priority flow first goes through the orifice to the brake circuit, once that circuit is satisfied with pressure, the valve allows oil to the by-pass circuit (fan motor). The arrows going perpendicular through the priority and by-pass circuits indicate they are pressure compensated, meaning, their ports open or close to account for changes in input pressure/flow (such as throttling of engine) or changes in demand downstream to maintain a constant flow/pressure on the circuits.

The thing I haven't seen before is the fourth line (additional by-pass circuit) going to the charge valve. That circuit is not pressure compensated, rather it goes through the .020 orifice before going to the charge valve. That line is basically a sensory circuit that is part of what makes the charge valve do its job of regulating circuit pressure.

Here's a typical diagram from Parker of a priority pressure compensated flow regulator with a secondary circuit.

Priority flow regulator.png

Cmark

Thanks Willie.

Looking again at the "sensing" line from the priority valve - orifice - charging valve I'm thinking it's maybe to "switch over" the priority valve, that is...

When the accumulator pressure is low [zero], the charging valve spool moves to the right, this allows the sensing line to drain to tank which (presumably) somehow causes the priority valve to stop flow to the bottom (fan) circuit.

As the accumulator pressure rises, the charging valve spool moves to the left (as previously explained) which blocks the sensing line, which (also presumably) tells the priority valve to send flow to the fan circuit.

As the accumulator pressure slowly drops through natural leakage or brake application, the pressure is maintained through the orifice in the priority valve and the check valve in the charging valve and the charging spool doesn't move. However if there is a large drop in accumulator pressure, the spool should move to the right, draining the sensing line and switching the priority valve fan circuit off.

The problem is, I don't see how the charging valve can ever work as drawn. If the charging spool is to the right, the sensing line is drained to tank and can never build up pressure on the right to equalise the pressure at the left end of the spool. And if the charging spool is to the left, the sensing line has nowhere to drain to to allow the spool to move right.

Does this make any sense??

:confused:

willie59

Administrator
Occupation
Service Manager
Yes, it makes sense Cmark as obviously we can only discuss possible theories of operation since we're not privy to exactly how that priority valve is operating. Genie uses a similar priority valve on some of their aerial boom lifts, but they're more like the Parker illustration, an input, a priority output, and a secondary output that receives flow/pressure after primary priority circuit is satisfied. The fourth line in this one I've not seen before and can only guess what it's doing, especially since the priority output and secondary are pressure compensated and the fourth port circuit is not. Really weird valve.

I get what your saying about pressure changes, especially rapid drop in pressure on brake circuit and how it would affect charge valve, but don't forget about the adjustable spring on the charge valve forcing the spool to the left thereby putting it in the blocked outlet to tank position. Also, the .020 orifice is going to always have the sensor line lag behind the pressure changes in the brake circuit.

Additionally, we don't know what pressure that charge valve is set at to overcome the spring pressure and dump pressure in the sense line to tank. What we can tell from the drawing is the oil goes to the fan motor, then it returns to supply the pilot circuit and to a designated relief valve set at 350 psi. By reason of that relief valve we can assume the pressure returning from the fan motor is below 350 psi, otherwise the relief would always be cracked open creating heat. This, of course, assumes there is not some other form of pressure regulating valve after the oil leaves the pilot lines of this manifold drawing.

Assuming this is correct, that's what prompted me to think the charge valve is operating as a pressure regulator, keeping pressure below the 350 psi of the fan motor return circuit relief valve.

Very peculiar circuit for sure. :)

Last edited:

Cmark

It's interesting stuff isn't it Willie.

IMO we shouldn't have to guess how the valve works. Schematics are to help people troubleshoot and should be accurate. It wouldn't be the first time I've come across errors (even in Cat drawings :eek: )

I still say that, as drawn, the priority spool can never move right as there's nowhere for the pressure on the right hand end to drain to, and whoever drew it is a big panty-waist with carburettor breath.

willie59

Administrator
Occupation
Service Manager
LoL, agreed. There's just too much missing info, not seeing the rest of the "big picture", and no info on adjustment of the charge valve. Interesting though that it's actually called a "charge valve", which in typical applications is a valve that regulates or maintains some form of circuit charge pressure. ;)

roddy

It sounds like you guys know what you're talking about and thanks for a better understanding!

The service manual says when the accumulator pressure drops below 1600 psi the charge vale kicks in and sends oil to the accumulator. Once the pressure is
charged to 2000 psi, the charge valve kicks out and oil bypasses the valve.

Cmark, you mentioned something about the priority valve switching the fan circuit off? The fan motor does slow while the brake accumulator charges.

I will try to find another print that shows more of the circuit.

willie59

Administrator
Occupation
Service Manager
Thanks for the expanded drawing roddy, something more to study. :)

Cmark, upon closer inspection, that 4th line that leaves the priority valve, goes through the .020 orifice to the charge valve, that's a dashed line, doesn't that indicate that it's a drain line from the charge valve?

Cmark

I though a dashed line was just a pilot signal, though I could be wrong. Either way, it should show a tank symbol somewhere.

I've noticed that the spring chamber seems to be connected to tank. Maybe there should be a line connecting the spool end to the spring chamber? Although even then it would still need an orifice smaller than .020 after the spool end to make it work.

willie59

Administrator
Occupation
Service Manager
You're probably right that the dash line from priority valve is considered pilot control circuit. I'm fairly certain the dash line coming from the spring chamber is for venting internal leakage at spring chamber to tank. And I certainly don't claim to know exactly how the priority valve is working. I do declare this is one of the most complex brake control systems on a simple machine that I've ran across. :yup

willie59

Administrator
Occupation
Service Manager
Well, the entire drawing that you posted roddy, it' too small to be legible if one tries to enlarge it. The only way we could work with that drawing would be if you posted it full size at a picture hosting website.

roddy

Well, the entire drawing that you posted roddy, it' too small to be legible if one tries to enlarge it. The only way we could work with that drawing would be if you posted it full size at a picture hosting website.

I used photobucket to upload the others. The original is kind of small to begin with. I will do my best to get a better image posted, unfortunately I wont be able to work on that or get that up for a day or so..

Cmark

What exactly is the problem roddy, or are you just curious as to how it works? (Either option is fine.)

roddy

Just trying to educate myself and get a better understanding of how the system works..