• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Post your specialty shop tools here

willie59

Administrator
Occupation
Service Manager
Depends on the work you're going to need it for equip guy. The one I have is a 30 ton cyl and will accept a 1 1/4" rod, can't remember the stroke. You may not need one of that tonnage, but at times it's been awesome for me doing bushing on big excavators. One of the best tool investments I've made.

I use a grade 8 threaded rod, got it from a local bolt/fastener supplier. If you don't have anything local, I'm sure you could find some grade 8 rod on the web. :)

equip guy

Occupation
Ag and Construction Equip mechanic
Thanks. You are right on it being pricey. I'm looking at an OTC 30ton and it's around $850 I have to buy new as I work for a municapality and they need a paper trail and warranty. So I'm looking for the best "bang" for the buck. I'm going to be doing bushings on a JD 444 soon so I hope I"ll have it when it makes the shop.

eric12

power probe short finder and test probe are great for electrical work, i had a short in a kobelco 200 and i traced it with the short finder in about 15 minutes. huge time saver. also the test probe is like a test light but it tells you if its grounded or hot and the voltage and you can power an accessory or light to see if the accessory or light is the issue or a connection. great tool and not to expensive if you buy it from amazon

Nige

G..G..G..Granville.........!! Fetch your cloth.
For things like track shoe & master link bolts, large loader collet bolts, wheel nuts, etc, basically anything that needs loads of torque on it - we use RAD Air wrenches. http://www.radtorque.com.au/

I first came across them in Indonesia and haven't found anything better since. Forget your air impact tools or hydraulic torque wrenches, this is the kid for the job ......... and a lot safer to boot. http://www.radtorque.com.au/products_pneumatic.php?sub=13

cps

Occupation
plant mechanic
Hi Nige, do you have any of the battery powered ones, i think one of those would be great!!

Nige

For what we use, only air power has sufficient "whoomph" to do the job. For example D10 track pad bolts need something close to 2000 ft.lb of torque from your wrench after you've put the initial torque on them plus 120-degrees. We're changing track shoes on one or other of our tractors pretty well every week.

Regular "small" hardware we just use 1/2"-drive rattle guns on.

Last edited:

mitch504

Is that just a storage box and regulator?

Do you set the torque by controling the air pressure in?

JDOFMEMI

Nige

What model do you reccomend for heavy equipment work? What kind of price range are they? just a ballpark will do, to see if I can keep drooling over it or not.

Ross

Nice RAD gun .. Very common ..

You guys work too hard Nige ... Never done a track bolt in years .. Thats a dealer track program job.

Nige

Nice RAD gun .. Very common ..

You guys work too hard Nige ... Never done a track bolt in years .. Thats a dealer track program job.
That was us checking that the dealer had done the track bolts correctly. We've had too many bad experiences of re-shoed tracks loosening bolts in the field. How they can do that when they have a plc-controlled Cat Track Torque wrench in their shop beats me. But then again they probably don't have anybody who knows how to use it correctly TBH. A bit of a Catch-22 really. I don't trust the dealer to do the job 100% correctly and honestly would prefer to do it all by ourselves (if for no other reason than to save the hassle of transporting tracks to & from the dealer shop), but right now I just don't have enough manpower.

Mitch. Each RAD gun comes with a chart equating the air pressure to the torque it will achieve. Basically just hold the gun so it's free to rotate and squeeze the trigger. While the socket is rotating set the air pressure to the necessary value. Stop the gun, apply to the first nut, squeeze the trigger, and let go when the nut stops rotating. Repeat for all the others. One person can tighten all the bolts on 2 tracks (300+ bolts) in less than 2 hours.

JDOF. The RAD gun in that picture is a RAD model 4000, capable of 4000Nm (3000lb.ft.) of torque. IIRC we paid about $5000 for it. Basically the gun, air pressure regulator, & hose all come in the black carrying case you see in the photo.

JDOFMEMI

NIge

Thanks. I would love one, but for now at least it is a bit out of my budget. I must say, it is the best gun I have ever seen.

Ross

That was us checking that the dealer had done the track bolts correctly. We've had too many bad experiences of re-shoed tracks loosening bolts in the field. How they can do that when they have a plc-controlled Cat Track Torque wrench in their shop beats me. But then again they probably don't have anybody who knows how to use it correctly TBH. A bit of a Catch-22 really. I don't trust the dealer to do the job 100% correctly and honestly would prefer to do it all by ourselves (if for no other reason than to save the hassle of transporting tracks to & from the dealer shop), but right now I just don't have enough manpower.

Ah well Ide never trust a RAD Gun TBH .. Its only as good as the Air pressure. Depends on the conditions its used in.

For the other guys Ide just buy a Multiplier. Mechanically sound. Norbar 25:1 Anti slip back. CAT / Proto 18:1 are excellent as well but Pricey. All 1/2 in 1" out.

Nige

Ah well Ide never trust a RAD Gun TBH .. Its only as good as the Air pressure. Depends on the conditions its used in.
I'm sorry I don't totally understand that statement. We have shop air @ 120psi and 300cfm. For example to do final tighten on D10 track bolts needs about 2000ft.lb. of torque. (650ft.lb. + 120 degreees). That equates to 51psi on the RAD gun air pressure regulator. Are you implying that the torque the RAD gun produces will vary significantly when it is only required to supply less than 40% of the shop air pressure and at flow rates that are so low they are almost insignificant..? That is also the reason why the RAD gun pressure regulator must be set when the gun is turning against no load, not against a resistance.

Without wanting to sound boastful I can honestly say that we've never had things like track shoes, wheel bolts, etc, come loose when we tighten them. Only when others do it. Then again we do try to do everything right like making a point of cleaning paint and other contaminants off before we assemble, many others in my experience do not. We also try to keep our equipment in good condition and have it tested/calibrated regularly.

RAD guns also work very well on things like the 1-1/4" bolts for D10 & 994 GET that need around 1800ft.lb. of torque.

StanRAUUS

Ross

Totally understand what you guys are saying BUT .. It can drop to -40c here, Need allot of tanner gas if you get what am saying. And I just cannot trust them, I mean when they hit torque and you let go, Then hit it again and the bolt moves a little .. Always bugs me .. Well Not for GET as this is usually welded afterwards.

Get some pics of the Hi-Torq's up Nige and really amaze these guys.

The Hand held multiplier was a recomendation for the other guys in the thread and not for production. I Had a 25:1 and aquired a CAT unit. For private use as a contractor. I wouldnt dream of using my own tooling like that in this job.

Per Eriksson

We use an electric one, we can set both tourqe and angle and then it does the job and unloads when done so it can be lifted off with ease.
Has 20 programmable settings in memory for frequent jobs. cost about 7000euros.