• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Post your specialty shop tools here

willie59

Administrator
Occupation
Service Manager
Ok all you wrench benders, this is a shop forum, let's see the tools and gagets you work with to get something done. There's a lot of small owner/operators/repaimen on this forum that I'm certain would like to see "a better way" to get a task accomplished. I think I've posted these pics somewhere buryed in the forum sections, beats me where the heck they are though, so I thought a designated tools thread would be a good reference place for the useful shop tools that we work with.

This is a tool that's as handy as a handle on a shovel head. A hollow ram Enerpace hyd cylinder. This one goes for around $850 to $1000 retail depending on where you look, I scored this one on ebay for $375 + shipping, no regrets spending that money for this tool. You can use it as a typical pushing jack cylinder like other porta power cylinders, but you can also insert up to a 1 1/4" rod through it to perform pulling tasks. It's handy for removing and install bushings in cylinder rod ends for example. Very handy shop tool, have used it on many occasions.

I've got it set up here to remove and install rubber isolater bushing inserts on a Case Maxi-Sneaker vibratory plow. Ever tried to remove or install compressed rubber inserts with a hammer? Good luck with that! With this tool, piece of cake. Here's the removing set up with a pushing sleeve on backside of the insert.

Enerpac hollow cylinder 011.jpg

Tighten the nuts on the threaded rod until pushing sleeve is against the steel bushing in center or rubber insert,

Enerpac hollow cylinder 010.jpg

Then simply pump the cylinder.

Enerpac hollow cylinder 007.jpg

Bushing removed slicker than snot on a door knob.

Enerpac hollow cylinder 006.jpg

Re-installed new bushings by greasing everything with silicone lube, fitted new bushing on backside of square tubing socket, fitted up the pulling rod and simply pulled the new isolater in place. I've used this tool to install bushings on loader arms, excavator bucket pin bushings, all kinds of tasks I used to do with a sledge. I'd rather use this tool as opposed to a sledge anyday.

koldsteele

Occupation
Owner Heavy Equipment Mechanic
Well what if i want the TP90000 model ...lol Atco you the man..

Last edited:

willie59

Administrator
Occupation
Service Manager
Well what if i want the TP90000 model ...

Well, that makes two of us koldsteele. :D

Ok folks, here's another tool I wouldn't want to be without. Need to drill a good size hole in some thick steel on a machine? Don't have a particular fondness for being wound up like a pretzel with a big electric hand drill? Or maybe you would just like to have a hole that is clean, straight, and not shaped like an egg.

The solution is actually quite simple; Jancey mag drill with annular cutter bits (Slugger bit). These things are awesome to work with and will produce nearly machine shop quality holes. Admittedly, these drills are expensive, I think we paid around $1,500 for this one, but if you have a project to do, a lot of rental shops rent these tools. A mag drill will make your life so much easier on tough drilling projects.

Jancey mag drill edit.jpg

Keep in mind that a mag drill needs a flat steel base to get a good hold and it usually requires at least 1/4" to 3/8" thick steel or the magnet won't activate. If your working on thinner steel, you may need to tack weld a thicker base plate on top of work steel, or place a steel backer underneath to get a good magnet base. Also, if you're drilling horizontal, always have a rope or strap attached to the drill and something overhead in case power gets accidently interrupted, that way drill won't fall to the ground.

Here's the thread about that pic that shows the type of work you can do with a mag drill and annular cutter bits just to give you an idea. It was a stuck pin that I could have beat my little brain out using a sledge to remove it, or spend half an hour with a mag drill and remove the pin with a ball peen hammer. Option B sounded soooo much better to me. :cool:

https://www.heavyequipmentforums.com/showthread.php?t=13113

Last edited:

FSERVICE

the mag drill is priceless i have used mine in the field also be sure to use the crane to hold it there "the welder has been known to run out of gas at the most inopertune moment) thought you filled it was the answer i got from my helper

bill5362

Occupation
I own a excavation company and a rolloff container
Fservice I always use a safety chain on our mag drill when work overhead or on its side. I was drilling an I Beam in the shop upside down when someone helping me caught the extension cord and unplugged the drill. After falling about 15' in about 1.5 seconds the outcome was good on the drill, a few hundred dollars in repairs. Side note it scared the crap out of me as it fell down beside me, glad I wasn't under the drill.... lesson learn well.

heavylift

power failures and mag drills are expensive... we had one drop about 75 feet... there was no repairs... just a butt chewing... about 30 years ago

and lanyards attached to the drills after that..

RonG

Charter Member
Occupation
heavy equipment operator
I see those once in a while at a good price used but cannot justify buying one but it is something that I would love to have.It is surprising how many people in the trade have never heard of them.Ron G

Stevol

Has anybody here ever use the "Slide Sledge" for driving out pins and or bushings?
Seen a video on utube about it and was wondering if its worth the cost?

willie59

Administrator
Occupation
Service Manager
Has anybody here ever use the "Slide Sledge" for driving out pins and or bushings?
Seen a video on utube about it and was wondering if its worth the cost?

We just recently purchased a short and long slide sledge and some attachments. Haven't used it much yet, but it is a handy tool. I hope to get some shots of using it for various tasks. :)

willie59

Administrator
Occupation
Service Manager
We also have a slide sledge and it works well as most of the time im by myself. Make sure you get the extra weight for it.

That's why my boss purchased one nowing75, because many times I'm out in the field by myself. Not long ago I had to remove a breaker from a 235B Cat by myself, and it turned out, unknown to me, that the dog bone link was tweaked. That was a project to remove the pins by myself with a sledge and drive pin, one I don't want to do again soon. :Banghead