• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Post your specialty shop tools here

TOM V

Occupation
Mechanic, Welder, Office work ect.
Jim correction onthat ram, it is 3.5" long with 1/2" stroke

JimInOz

Thanks for the advice,Guys.At least I know what to look for.
I might buy from the USA,as the local prices will be crazy....any thoughts on suppliers I should deal with?
My other requirement ,near the end of my repair,is the need to press fit the sprocket.
What am I gonna need there?

Thanks again,
Jim.

TOM V

Occupation
Mechanic, Welder, Office work ect.
Jim looks like you need sprocket puller/pusher,but you will need specific tooling for that machine your working on.I always wanted to buy this equipment but never found it used,don't use it too often so could not justify buying new,plus alll the different tooling.

JimInOz

Hi Tom,
Thanks for the advice.I'll get a mechanic to press the sprocket on.
I found a cheaper version of that Enerpac short ram,on eBay for $280....I think I'll go with that.I've had a good run with the cheaper knock-off jacks,although they only get used on a weekly basis.

Jim

Last edited:

willie59

Administrator
Occupation
Service Manager
Here's a cool 3/4" drive ratchet that we purchased for our service truck, the EZ Red MR34. It has a knurled handle for good grip, and is 24" long.

EZ Red ratchet.jpg

But if you need a longer handle, no need to get cheater pipe, pull back the locking collar,

EZ Red ratchet (1).jpg

and the handle will extend to 40 inches.

EZ Red ratchet (2).jpg

Has a total of 6 locking positions to hold handle firmly in place.

EZ Red ratchet (3).jpg

cutting edge

I cant live without my OTC digital pressure gauges

otc-3490.gif

MAc large angle wrenches(anyone who's ever worked on a feller bunchers can attest to this),the afformentioned hollow ram jack and of course,air powered vacuum pump for pulling a vacuum in hydraulic systems to prevent spillage when working on them

4112m09RDML.jpg

mitch504

I've got a 3/8 ratchet like that, that was given to me, and I thought it would be useless. Turns out, I like it a lot.

I never thought to see if they made other sizes. I think I'll get a 3/4 and a 1/2".

P.S. Yes Ron, I'm afraid The Mechanic Formerly Known As ATCO is going to have to put up with a bunch of "slick Willie" jokes, maybe even from me.:rolleyes:

Last edited:

heavylift

Here's a cool 3/4" drive ratchet that we purchased for our service truck, the EZ Red MR34. It has a knurled handle for good grip, and is 24" long.
I have a 1/2" one like that, snapped the head off it on a lugnut. KingTools is the brand. I had it for about 20 years, it was a sad day,
So I get out the trusty google engine, search, find, email, then get a phone call,

They say the usual whatevers, which translated to out of luck, put on hold, miracle happens, send tool to them at my cost for a new tool.

I'm now the proud owner of a brand spanking new ratchet, although it's not my favorite ratchet . but the always there cheater pipe is handy.

that would be one of the few snap on tools that I own ... a crooked 3/8" flex ratchet... the best thing about it is the kids don't like it. :)

tctractors

cutting edge could you explain that air vac item some more, I have never seen anything like it in the U.K.??

mitch504

It is an air powered vac pump designed for servicing air conditioning systems. It works by blowing compressed air through a venturi. They are low volume, but they will pull a hard vaacum.

cutting edge

It is an air powered vac pump designed for servicing air conditioning systems. It works by blowing compressed air through a venturi. They are low volume, but they will pull a hard vaacum.

That's right,but I built a hose that adapts the A/C fitting to a -4 jic,with adaptors to plumb into hydraulic tanks. I also have a few tank caps with fittings on them,for loaders and Backhoes and such.

Sure beats draining a tank to do suction hoses and orings or swapping out hydraulic pumps and coolers.

RonG

Charter Member
Occupation
heavy equipment operator
When I was in the army engineers we used a system of that same principle to evacuate the remaining air in the pontoons that we used to build the bridges across the rivers in my TD-18 thread.
The old solvant guns worked the same way.Ron G

3rdGenDslWrench

Occupation
Heavy Equipment Field Mechanic/ Truck Mechanic/Aut
Anybody ever used one of those Cat 963s to take the cylinder head bolts out of a D8H? I was helping my dad one day and the one inch airgun would budge them....both of us at the end of a 8 foot pipe wasnt doing anything so our last resort was to use something that wouldn't give up. That also proves that there really is a difference in Snap-On tools and everything else. I thought for sure when I was pushing the ratched with the loader something would give up but we got all of them out of the one head like that.

mitch504

At the Co. I worked for in the late '80s-early '90s, the standard way we always tightened the walking bushings on camelback Macks was to work a 1" ratchet with a trackhoe.

equip guy

Occupation
Ag and Construction Equip mechanic
Willie, I'm looking at getting one of these for bushings, pins and other stuff. For your typical small to medium and large ag equipment, what tonnage ram do you reccomend. Also I know you need a hardened threaded rod for these, but they don't seem to list the rod. Where should I look for that stock? Thanks for the good work on here, I especially enjoy the shop talk section.
Ok all you wrench benders, this is a shop forum, let's see the tools and gagets you work with to get something done. There's a lot of small owner/operators/repaimen on this forum that I'm certain would like to see "a better way" to get a task accomplished. I think I've posted these pics somewhere buryed in the forum sections, beats me where the heck they are though, so I thought a designated tools thread would be a good reference place for the useful shop tools that we work with.

This is a tool that's as handy as a handle on a shovel head. A hollow ram Enerpace hyd cylinder. This one goes for around $850 to $1000 retail depending on where you look, I scored this one on ebay for $375 + shipping, no regrets spending that money for this tool. You can use it as a typical pushing jack cylinder like other porta power cylinders, but you can also insert up to a 1 1/4" rod through it to perform pulling tasks. It's handy for removing and install bushings in cylinder rod ends for example. Very handy shop tool, have used it on many occasions.

I've got it set up here to remove and install rubber isolater bushing inserts on a Case Maxi-Sneaker vibratory plow. Ever tried to remove or install compressed rubber inserts with a hammer? Good luck with that! With this tool, piece of cake. Here's the removing set up with a pushing sleeve on backside of the insert.

View attachment 71227

Tighten the nuts on the threaded rod until pushing sleeve is against the steel bushing in center or rubber insert,

View attachment 71228

Then simply pump the cylinder.

View attachment 71229

Bushing removed slicker than snot on a door knob.

View attachment 71230

Re-installed new bushings by greasing everything with silicone lube, fitted new bushing on backside of square tubing socket, fitted up the pulling rod and simply pulled the new isolater in place. I've used this tool to install bushings on loader arms, excavator bucket pin bushings, all kinds of tasks I used to do with a sledge. I'd rather use this tool as opposed to a sledge anyday.