• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Pictures to share

hvy 1ton

Every year the township rents a reclaimer for a month or so to fix up the paved secondary roads around here. When they chew up the roads the add bitumen from a tanker.

milling_drum

Occupation
asphalt mill operator (ret)
Thanks for the Pic's Graderman. I used to work for Miller back in the Mid 90's in Toronto. I also worked for them in Atlanta. They used to send machines to Atlanta from Canada all the the time and they all came from different divisions.

In New Brunswick they are called "New Brunswick Industrial Cold Planing" in Quebec its "Talon Seqbec" or something, I mighta spelled that wrong. Miller are the biggest Road construction outfit in Canada last I heard.

Grader4me

Yes, they are a large company I believe. I know they go right out staight. They aren't afraid to work either, and they do a great job. I'm going back down there tomorrow to help the grader operator out so maybe I'll get a few more pictures.

oakland

COPPA
Occupation
high school
hey milling drum i got some pics for ya:D these are from a project here, they have 3 terex stabilizers. the contractor is porter yett from portland oregon. you can see more of the project in the showtime section under freeway widening:drinkup

Attachments

• terex1.jpg
    terex1.jpg
    47.1 KB · Views: 1,496
  • freeway work 004.jpg
    freeway work 004.jpg
    27.6 KB · Views: 1,485
  • freeway work 008.jpg
    freeway work 008.jpg
    34.6 KB · Views: 1,494
  • freeway work 062.jpg
    freeway work 062.jpg
    43.8 KB · Views: 1,484
  • freeway work 061.jpg
    freeway work 061.jpg
    68.5 KB · Views: 1,491

milling_drum

Occupation
I gots some pictures of Dustrol's 30 year old 14ft machines that I was running briefly this year....

Unfortunately, I took a few risque pics of my G/F on that same roll of film and she dumped the CD with ALL pictures....need a digital for sure.

I'll get em scanned soon but they might be kinda icky cuz of the scan...

telescooper

The ground man must not have seen the manhole:mad:. dosen't look like they stopped to check things out either
Telescooper

Bellboy

COPPA
Occupation
Student
Now my youth and ignorance is really showing. What is it like to drive on a recycled/reclaimed/milled piece of road? I have seen a few of those big wirtgen reclaimers/recyclers here, and the idea seems good, but I can't be sure 'coz i've never seen the finished version of a remilled road(recycled material mixed with asphalt) I would probably try that, but i have no idea how nicely it finishes. I saw a segment about a wirtgen recycler once on TV, and they were finishing with single drum soil compactors, (smooth drums), tandems and then peumatic rollers.

I also saw an article about green road building compared to the traditional methods, and somewhere they said that the recycling method saves around R9.69 per ton on a recycled road base. The numbers get bigger the more you recycle the road.

Last edited:

Steve Frazier

Founder
Staff member
One of the roads near me was recycled a few years ago. They ground up all the asphalt to a base like material and compacted it. It was left for about 2 weeks, at that stage it was like driving on a gravel road. After the 2 weeks, they came through and put down binder followed by oil and stone top. Today it's like driving on any other paved road. I'm in a rural area where we have no manholes nor curbs, just the occasional culvert crossing under the pavement.

Grader4me

As Steve said, after it's leveled out, shaped and compacted it's the same as driving on a gravel road. It makes a good road after it's been chipsealed. If left to long before sealing it bonds together and becomes like pavement again. Then it becomes hard to grade.
We have hauled this reclaim to gravel roads to see how it would work. Once leveled it made a beautiful road but after a few weeks it turned back to pavement again. Places in the road that didn't bond, separated and became potholes, so we ended up with a not so perfect road.
We have hauled crushed rock over top of this and Chipsealed. We have also just Chipsealed over the reclaim and that has worked good to.

crushers

Shanghai zenith company provide grinding mill

:)http://www.zenithcrusher.com
lilian@zenithdream.com

Shanghai Zenith Electric Power Equipment Co., Ltd. is an international and professional company, which engages in research & development, production and sale of the electric power equipment, powder making equipment, and mining equipment. Our products have been distributed to all the provinces in China as well as over 30 countries and regions in the world.

digger242j

Administrator
Occupation
Self employed excavator
crushers, here at Heavy equipment forums, we have a rule that only paying sponsors are allowed to advertise, and to protect our sponsors, we enforce that rule pretty strictly. The exception is that we will allow a member one "freebie" to let our members know about their product. That's because learning about a new or different manufacturer might help a member out some day.

Welcome to Heavy Equipment Forums, and if you have any knowlege to share about the industry and equipment in general, please do. But you've now had your one free advertisement...

milling_drum

Occupation
Now my youth and ignorance is really showing. What is it like to drive on a recycled/reclaimed/milled piece of road? I have seen a few of those big wirtgen reclaimers/recyclers here, and the idea seems good, but I can't be sure 'coz i've never seen the finished version of a remilled road(recycled material mixed with asphalt) I would probably try that, but i have no idea how nicely it finishes. I saw a segment about a wirtgen recycler once on TV, and they were finishing with single drum soil compactors, (smooth drums), tandems and then peumatic rollers.

I also saw an article about green road building compared to the traditional methods, and somewhere they said that the recycling method saves around R9.69 per ton on a recycled road base. The numbers get bigger the more you recycle the road.

Your tires make a humming sound while riding the grooved pavement...

AtlasRob

Occupation
owner operator
UK milling

For your enjoyment milling drum.
This Wirgen came right on through my work area ( or was it his area I was in ;) ) so I did the honourable thing........... took some pictures :D

onroad 90.JPG

Only taking enough off for the new wearing course

onroad 91.JPG

onroad 92.JPG
travel speed at this depth is a fast walk :eek:
onroad 93.JPG

Never ceases to amaze me :notworthy
onroad 94.JPG

AtlasRob

Occupation
owner operator
Heres a couple of the technical bit :D

onroad 95.JPG

This touch pad seems to give the mm alterations to the cutting drum and is controlled by the groundman
onroad 96.JPG

d4c24a

planning

i spent a week or so behind a planner with a sweeper on the M3 years ago
for gale plant ,who did alot of work for associated ashphalt
it got a bit boring after a while :Banghead
i was glad to get back to my normal job :D
great pictures rob :drinkup
graham

Dwan Hall

Occupation
Self Employed
I also was a sweeping contractor behind a grinding crew last year. I got to keep the millings. I now use them to fill potholes then use a infrared heater to reheat the patch, then roll it. no seam to fail and a patch that is part of the original material.

Just finished a patch in the middle of our airport runway.
The state here also uses the grindings as a sub base (6" thick) then chip seals. This seems to hold well. Only thing is if it does pothole the edges are sharper and the hole is deeper.