• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Pictures of your Backhoe!!!!!

NEK715B

Allis 715B Backhoe

Here's a picture of my Allis... 1982. I gather there not many of these around, but I've found it to be an affordable machine (6k) for working around our property. Having spent my career in the Automotive repair industry, this my first Diesel, and first piece of equipment. (other than farm tractors). I should have got involved with Backhoes years ago!!

Could anyone tell me whats the Transmission fluid capacity of my Allis 715B Backhoe and the location of the drain plug?
Last night I began to drain the Transmission from what looks like the Drain plug, but I got a very dark "Oil colored" fluid. I know it wasent moter oil, and I know it wasent gear oil. I am thinking it could be hydrolic fluid. It had the consistancy of transmission fluid (a little less viscous then hydrolic fluid) It dident smell or taste like transmission fluid though.
Could this just be very very old trans fluid. I know I have old fluid and it has some water in it because in cold weather the tractor will not move do to the water freezing i guess.
The reason why I thought / think thats the correct drain plug, is because i followed the dipstic - filler tube down, and that plug is on a small box on the transmission directly below it.

Yassen-TE

Occupation
Musician;backhoe operator
Nice backhoe,Emerson.My first was the same-580 Super K,but side shift version.It was excellent machine,today a friend of mine own it,there is around 15000 hours!Did you have ever some difficulty because of the 2WD?

Emerson

Mines actually 4wd.. I couldn't imagine having a 2wd tractor.. I've already got stuck 3 times on my property.

Emerson

Here's some pics of this winters big project with the backhoe. Without it I would have been in alot of trouble.

spliterhoe.jpg
spliterhoe2.jpg
spliterhoe3.jpg
spliterhoe4.jpg

I was replacing the axle on my wood splitter when it fell off the jackstands..

case 580sm

Occupation
full time backhoe operator
Nice machine, hope it lasts you, I had a 86' 580e, and just traded it 2 yrs ago. Miss it but love my new super m.

All the best,

case 580sm

adolphous

Occupation
builder
ordered maunal, should be here soon, thanks

machine runs clean case 580sm.... great! issue now is leaking from hoe controls so boom drops.... annoying.

adolphous

Occupation
builder
it drips off the bottom of the backhoe control valve generally. no where spcifically that i've noticed yet, but i've been working on electrical stuff lately (see threads.... console alarm, and charging problems).

robin yates uk

if the control valves are similar on your machine as they are on a JCB, it looks to me as if you have some damaged O rings on one or more valves.I see you have mentioned the boom dropping so that valve block is where to look first, obviously.Before buying O rings from the machine supplier, ask a general engineering warehouse if they stock same size and thickness rings, much cheaper bought this way

adolphous

Occupation
builder
ya, it's just the boom dropping, everything else is solid, and holds well. are those orings a big deal to change? i don't mind topping up oil every now and again, but the boom dropping makes it harder to control the hoe, and it's really annoying.

robin yates uk

like most maintenance jobs on any machine, if you know what you are doing, it is simple.When you get your manual there should be an exploded view of the O ring assembley, Follow instructions and keep everything spotlessly clean and you should be ok.

dwloop

Adolphous,

The boom dropping and the backhoe spool leaking most likely have nothing to do with each other. The are several issues that let cylinders bleed down, leaks being one of them. But I think that if you have a leak large enough to let the boom bleed down, that would be a large quantity of oil lost. My bet would be on the cylinder packing, or spool load checks, in that order. Your newly obtained service manual will have procedures to check for packing bleed.

Others may disagree, thats my 2 cents...

Need to start a new thread on that one... :D

HTH
Dave

Last edited: