• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Perkins Engines

JGS Parts

Occupation
Owner JGS Machinery
G'day guys

Just wondering if anyone has any experiences with the 854F-E34T Perkins we are looking to run it in our smaller loaders like a CAT908 size machine aimed at the North American market.

But not sure if it is a common model in the US thought i would ask the guys on here.

Thanks again to everyone who gives feed back

Tony H

Not familiar with that particular Perkins engine BUT JCB uses some Perkins Diesels in their Tractors that are sold in the U.S.
Teh CAt 980 looks like a JCB 406.. Althought they put a Duetz engine in their 406

JGS Parts

Occupation
Owner JGS Machinery
you guys thing the qullity is the same now as it was back then? i seem to hear from a lot of older blokes that Perkins is the way to go but a lot of guys seem to have no experience with them. so it is hard to know.

Dickjr.

Curious as to what hp range this is? I'm guessing 80 to 100. My backhoe has the 3054 Cat which is a Perkins. All the new Massey tractors use them as well as JCB. I think they are great engines.Very fuel efficient and today that is big. My 416 is turboed engine , as far as the hydraulics it has plenty of power. Pushing sometimes it seems a little light but I will sacrifice that for economy . It fills the bucket fine , just when cutting. I know the comparible John Deere is more powerful but fuel consumption is lots greater. Maybe you can give me a job in your R&D department.

JGS Parts

Occupation
Owner JGS Machinery
Some Perkins engines are being manufactured under license in China. I happen to own one with 1300 hours on it that is now scrap metal.

Yeah steve i remember reading about it i thought your one ended up coming from the UK? well the ones Perkins is trying to push me is made directly by them in china at there factory. I think they got out of the joint ventures and went at it themselfs. But i would love to learn more about it.

Steve Frazier

Founder
Staff member
I assumed mine was British when I bought the machine, I thought at that time all Perkins were. I've done research since and by looking at the casting number it appears mine was made in China, a real disappointment to me. It self destructed due to a metallurgy failure within the oil pump.

JGS Parts

Occupation
Owner JGS Machinery
well i tell you what steve

it has got me worried as i wonder how many of them are the same i mean i have seen chinese pitching these engines are UK built and i wonder just how many of them are? i mean i have seen so many chinese skid loaders and mini excavators all saying that they are UK perkins seems like it might all be a load of BS

Garrie Denny

Occupation
see above
Steve, now you know how i feel about dodgy china made engines that get put into mediun to light machinery that gets exported to U.S.A. Australia and who known where else. (see my thread about motor for Wombat Skid Steer loader). The actual machine looks excellent ad holds up well in my case but after replacing my motor with the same in port when i had issues and it lasted 50 Hrs before overheating and other dramas, i think you got a real good run out of yours in comparrison.I just dont trust the either metal used, or the machining or assembly of their motors, i dont thik they care about quality end of story.

Tony H

MADE IN UK... that is a slippery slope. The Lawyers have played games with this statement. It can be totally assembled in china expept for the last bolt. Put that Bolt in while in a factory in the UK and it is OK to slap on that Made in UK label.

Assembled in China/ Made in the UK

Jim D

Occupation
equipment operator
JGS,

Isn't Perkins a subsidiary of Caterpillar? Might be a tight-rope walk to buy engines for a loader that competes with the 908.

Where I am, in western Nevada, Perkins doesn't have a good reputation.

JGS Parts

Occupation
Owner JGS Machinery
Well Jim would Cummins be a better bet then? they are telling me these cummins are manufactured in Japan and they meet the new EPA 4 for the US so I am wondering what would be the better bet.

Jim D

Occupation
equipment operator
There's a gazillion Cummins engines in equipment in N and S America. I don't think that any one would be critical of your machine for having a Cummins engine in it.

tctractors

Perkins engines are a well known and well liked World Class engine, I think CAT bought them in 1998? they were used by Komatsu before this date in the Dash 5 series Excavators that in many peoples minds was the best Komatsu Excavators ever built, in the U.K. we only like the Home built units, the small motors are a bit of a Mystery here, any trouble with your Perkapillar Call Caterpillar Inc USA as they own em.

Dickjr.

Perkins are still used in JCB. Other options would be Iveco or Yanmar , Mitsubishi , Duetz. Cummins would probably be a good choice because of parts and a lot of people are familiar with them.

Jim D

Occupation
equipment operator
Other options would be Iveco or Yanmar , Mitsubishi , Duetz.

Not Duetz. Two weeks ago I had the timing belt fail in a 3 liter Duetz. (A rubber tooth belt cam drive in a diesel engine...?)(Also the engine-mounted hydraulic pump drive is a rubber tooth belt.) When I was ordering the parts to fix it, the rubber timing belt and tensioner pulley and pushrods and rocker pedestal bolts, the parts guy says to me 'The Germans are smart, they designed the pushrods to bend and the rocker pedestal bolts to break when the pistons hit the valves, so there won't be any damage to the engine.' (!!!) 'Bent pushrods and broken rocker arm bolts are not damage to the engine?' asks I with the hardest stare I could manage. The irony and the hard stare were totally wasted on a 23 year old with an earring in his nose and tattoos on his neck...

JGS, FWIW, for your loader, I'd only pick an engine that has a long/good track record in construction equipment (not something that's only got use in ag tractors). Something that's already used other in mini-loaders, and skid-steers, etc. I'd feel good buying something that has the same engine as a Deere, Cat or Case mini-loader.

Last edited:

JGS Parts

Occupation
Owner JGS Machinery
Well what worries me is like what steve said , see cummins is telling me the engine i want to run is manufactured in Japan but i am starting to wonder if it is really made there the model i am looking at is the B3.3-C60 (teir4i) anyone got any experience with this model? I know with the new Komtsu excavators 65% of all the parts inside the engine are manufactured in china the local reps in china are using it as a selling point for the price of parts.

ianoz

JCB ,Stopped useing Perkins Engines in their backhoes When Caterpillar bought the company .
JCB uses their own Engine now .