• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Perkins Engines

Jim D

Occupation
equipment operator
JGS, I wouldn't get hung-up on exactly where the engines are made; I'd look at the installed track record in other construction equipment. And at the Tier 4 Final compliance, or whatever it'll have to be to sell your equipment here in NA in the next few years.

I have a handful of 4BT and ISB4.5 engines (irrigation pump 4BT engines with 10 years and very many hours without failures). The B3.3 isn't the same family design as the larger B series. The larger B series are as bullet-proof as any engine I've seen.

PS 4BT engines from Brazil have been as reliable as any others...

Last edited:

JGS Parts

Occupation
Owner JGS Machinery
Thanks for that info Jim D

mate i just want to sell something that i know the blokes in the states will be happy with. I have had great feedback in Australia with my machines even have been sent photos of them working in Australia , I know the markets are different as a hell of a lot of people have pointed out. just gotta figure out ow to get them into the market in the US.

Would be happy to upload the photos if people wanted to see them.

ih100

JCB ,Stopped useing Perkins Engines in their backhoes When Caterpillar bought the company .
JCB uses their own Engine now .

No they didn't, it was another five or six years before they stopped, and after that Perkins still went into some backhoes and fast-tracs for certain customers.

tctractors

It might be worth noting that Perkins Engines would have built the most well liked and proven engines in the World, the little 3 pot thing in P.C. or Direct injection form has no other engine known to better it, the rebuild kits for these little bangers are just a few ££, the cheapest engine on the Planet to repair or re-build, Cummins does not have an engine in this low basic class, the Phaser 1004-6 (1004 = CAT 3054)again is a tough little engine that would out last and out work any other engine within its class, plus when they are worn out they do up for buttons.

ih100

It might be worth noting that Perkins Engines would have built the most well liked and proven engines in the World, the little 3 pot thing in P.C. or Direct injection form has no other engine known to better it, the rebuild kits for these little bangers are just a few ££, the cheapest engine on the Planet to repair or re-build, Cummins does not have an engine in this low basic class, the Phaser 1004-6 (1004 = CAT 3054)again is a tough little engine that would out last and out work any other engine within its class, plus when they are worn out they do up for buttons.

I'm afraid the old 3.152 has gone now, due to the emissions nonsense. It had a run of close to 50 years and very little changed in that time. The last ones still had nearly all unf bolts in them.

Jim D

Occupation
equipment operator
mate i just want to sell something that i know the blokes in the states will be happy with.

Well... only one half, or less, of the blokes here will ever be happy with any one thing or any one brand. It's the Ford vs Chevy thing (Ford vs Holden in Oz?)

Would be happy to upload the photos if people wanted to see them.

I'd like to see any pictures.

Cat and Cummins have very good brand recognition and loyalty here. The only new Perkins engines I've seen have been Cat branded. If you had a Cat branded engine in your loader, the Cat lovers would swoon and the Cat haters would dis' it... vise versa for a Cummins engine. You can stand in the center of any bar in American any yell "Iveco and Yanmar engines are s**t", and not one drink would be spilled... and a waitress would seat you at a table and ask you what you want to drink!

(My silly way of looking at it is; I'd buy the heaviest engine, avoirdupois, for the requisite power. Never owned a B3.3, but the 4BT's are boat anchor heavy and they are boat anchor reliable. The light weight Duetz and VM engines that I have haven't been reliable, by construction standards.)

Last edited:

stock

Occupation
We have moved on and now were lost....
Jim don't forget to look at ISUZU they make some bullet proof engines.

Jim D

Occupation
equipment operator
I'm afraid the old 3.152 has gone now, due to the emissions nonsense. It had a run of close to 50 years and very little changed in that time. The last ones still had nearly all unf bolts in them.

That's the real drag, all the new engines are electronic, the old, good, mechanical ones are out of the picture in N American and the EU.

Jim D

Occupation
equipment operator
Jim don't forget to look at ISUZU they make some bullet proof engines.

I've never had one! They have a good reputation here, but no one wears Isuzu branded hats or T-shirts here... You'd never be able to start an argument over here about whether you're looking at an Isuzu or a Diawou or a Mitsubishi or a Yanmar engine. "Wat zit?" "Duho no.." Only the mechanics say they know the difference, and we users don't believe them!

Last edited:

JGS Parts

Occupation
Owner JGS Machinery
G'day guys

Wow heaps of good info here well we looked at ISUZU and Yanmar problem we found is that they where not a good fit for the Transmission we run the only real choices we had left where Perkins and Cummins . Cummins in Australia is very good for us as we can use a Tier II or Tier III engine also with no issues so we can get them cheap and quick, but for the NA market that was not the case there can be upto a 5 months wait to get an engine from Cummins if it is for Tier IV,

But I think we will stick with the Cummins for now and look at the Perkins a bit more down the road or have it as a cheaper option for customers who want it.

Also here is some photos of 2 of my smaller loaders in Australia , got really good feed back on these machines we are building another 8 machines this week coming all for export to Australia.

2013-01-13_11-14-32_108.jpg2013-01-13_11-14-45_31.jpg2013-01-13_11-15-01_461.jpg

Jim D

Occupation
equipment operator
JGS,

That loader looks like it is a little bit larger than a 907/908 Cat. It looks like it has more height and reach, loading the truck.

FWIW, here in N America, sales of machines to the ordinary bloke contractors are facilitated by the seller's financing of the purchase. Cat seems to big the 'big dog' in that arena, with available financing. It might be that a source for sales financing is more important than the brand of engine in the tractor, for sales here in NA.

Cheers, Jim

Last edited:

JGS Parts

Occupation
Owner JGS Machinery
G'day Jim

yeah mate you are right in Aus its the same CAT now has 0.9% intrest on there machines and that and lets be hounest who has 500K sitting in the bank to just go out and buy a new machine and a lot of the banks and finacing mobs there rates are fairly high.
that is why i think maybe in australia you see a lot of the chinese gear maybe more so then the states beacuse of lack of the EPA laws and also beacuse they are dirt cheap.