• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Overload of the Day

Old Doug

Doug it's the same max GCW irrespective of whether the tractor is a 6x2 or a 6x4 - 44 tonnes or 97k pounds when a 3-axle tractor is coupled to a 3-axle trailer.. Max axle weights are 8.5 tonnes for a non-driven axle or 10.5 tonnes for a driven axle. That being the case the 6x4 has a little more flexibility regarding individual axle weights but that will still not affect the total GCW.

Fuel consumption-wise 6x2 are apparently somewhere between 2.5-3.5% more economical on fuel than their 6x4 brothers all other things being equal. These days it's common to see a lift-up axle on the tractor and maybe 2 axles on the trailer, so a lot of difference in tyre wear when running empty.
I dont under stand why there isnt more single drive tag axle trucks here. Now with computers and air bags the truck could regulate the weight on the drive axle for better traction.

DMiller

Occupation
Cheap "old" Geezer
By axle weight does not really change tag, pusher or driver so long as suspension is rated for that weight. For big loads adding a two or three axle Geep and Converter dolly at ends of trailer to spread more weight across more axles is the only option.

Nige

G..G..G..Granville.........!! Fetch your cloth.
By axle weight does not really change tag, pusher or driver so long as suspension is rated for that weight. For big loads adding a two or three axle Geep and Converter dolly at ends of trailer to spread more weight across more axles is the only option.
Or reduce the need for more axles by having more sensible (i.e. higher) axle weights for big loads...?
Over here STGO regs permit up to 12.5 tonnes per axle compared to the 10.5 limit to which a regular truck would have to comply.

EDIT: To expand a bit more on that thinking it's a combination of speed and weight that potentially can destroy highways. I recall years ago we had some "100-ton capacity" trailers, but when you read the data plate it was 100 tons @ a maximum of 5 mph, but only 50 tons above that. Oversize/overweight loads generally travel at lower speeds so why not have an option that would permit them a higher axle weight limit (at a certain maximum speed. 40 mph maybe.?) instead of having to add dozens of extra axles.?

Last edited:

Old Doug

I was thinking if you had a single drive axle and it was slick or a ruff parking lot someone that know what they were doing could put more weight on the drive and get the job done but if it was computer controled when the drives lost traction it would start adjusting air bags till every thing was ok then when speed was regained the axles could go back to haveing the same weight on them. It looks like there would be money saved not running to drive axles .Wear and tear less moving parts cheaper truck and fuel savings .

crane operator

I'm going to break the rules again- this one's offroad!

The guy waving to speed up is a hoot- 2-300,000lbs and we're going to start grabbing gears and drag that goldhofer over the ridge and keep it from jacknifing. Sure.

But the best is the guy in the back truck who bails when it starts to get ugly, then hops back in afterwards. It always makes me chuckle.

ianjoub

big-truck.jpg

cfherrman

I was thinking if you had a single drive axle and it was slick or a ruff parking lot someone that know what they were doing could put more weight on the drive and get the job done but if it was computer controled when the drives lost traction it would start adjusting air bags till every thing was ok then when speed was regained the axles could go back to haveing the same weight on them. It looks like there would be money saved not running to drive axles .Wear and tear less moving parts cheaper truck and fuel savings .

Makes sense to me

92U 3406

Occupation
Wrench Bender
I'm going to break the rules again- this one's offroad!

The guy waving to speed up is a hoot- 2-300,000lbs and we're going to start grabbing gears and drag that goldhofer over the ridge and keep it from jacknifing. Sure.

But the best is the guy in the back truck who bails when it starts to get ugly, then hops back in afterwards. It always makes me chuckle.

That dude put himself in the absolute worst spot. Its gone, bro. Just get out of the line of fire and watch the show. Nothing you can do at that point.

92U 3406

Occupation
Wrench Bender
That truck would have most likely left the Finning shop in Fort MacKay, travelled a couple kilometers north on Hwy 63, turned onto the Albian Sands access road, then onto the East Athabasca Hwy. They had just turned off the East Athabasca Highway when the video started. Truck was probably headed to Kearl. Stuff like this gets moved daily up the highway, nothing special to see after being there the first couple weeks.

terex herder

Radial tires are a lot better than the old bias plies. I can remember when 400 hp could boil off a set of drivers on a hot day. How much hp could a single drive axle handle on a hot sunny day without cutting tire life more than, say, 10%?

92U 3406

Occupation
Wrench Bender
Not to mention how hard it would be on the axle to put the full power and torque of a large engine into it. At least with tandems or tridrives you're splitting all that torque across multiple axles.