• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

On Road Diesel In Off Road Equipment

Coaldust

Occupation
Cargo Tanks, ULSD, RUG, Methanol, LPG
Nige brings up a good point. Sometimes we do stuff and forget why we do it. The reason we originally chose Powerservice with the Afton Chemical lubricity additive was because it was compatible with the mono acid based lubricity additive that Tesoro was selling at the Port of Anchorage terminals.

That is an important point. If you wish to add a lubricity additive, it needs to be compatible with the fuel you are purchasing. Yes, bad things can happen if you don’t. I’ll add a link to a paper you can read to learn why.

Fuel lubricity additives are either acid-based or neutral based. Two types of acid based additives- Those are:

Mono-acid (single long-chain polar end molecule
Acid-based dimmer (double long-chain end molecule

Neutral based:

Ester

Talking with my colleague who knows more than me, he explains that about 50% of the fuel in the North American market meets the D6079 HFRR rig test under ASTM D975. Why? Because nobody monitors it.

Why does your Detroit DD15 owners manual say don’t use additives? Not because Detroit doesn’t want good fuel lubricity, it’s because they have no idea what fuel you are purchasing and what additives you are going to pour in the tank. It’s too complicated. Too many variables at play.

Coaldust

Occupation
Very good article explaining all this;

https://www.aftonchemical.com/Afton...cid-Lubricity-Improver-Technical-Brochure.pdf

TLDR:

Climate determines what lubricity additive to use.

High TBN HDEO don’t interact well with dimer acid-based fuel lubricity additives

Pipeline anti-corrosion additives can make injectors stick.

dimer acid-based and ester lubricity additives don’t play well sometimes with other anti-corrosion, anti-static, anti-foaming & cetane additives.

Coaldust

Occupation
Keep in mind, you guys running B20, B10 or B whatever in the L48, bio does well with the D6079 HFRR rig test. Adds a significant amount of lubricity. Creates other issues, though. I don’t deal with bio, so I’m not that familiar with the water and biologics issue.

Coaldust

Occupation
Looks like the Shell fuel that Nige shared the example of, uses an ester based DCI-6A. So, he would not want to additize Powerservice to his Caterpillar spread while listening to Cat Scratch Fever.
DCEF81B0-5830-490B-BBE2-FC138AC20FBC.jpeg

JCinNC

It makes your wallet a lot thinner.
just what are you trying to accomplish ?
Bob

Oh, I didn't have a goal in mind other than making sure to do the best possible regarding fuels in older equipment.

Thanks.

Coaldust

Occupation
IDK, JCinNC. I’ll see if I can locate the SDS and backtrack from there to see what’s in it. Sounds like you just need a lubricity additive and something to help with the biofuel issues. The TRC might be overkill.

Where do you source your fuel?

JCinNC

IDK, JCinNC. I’ll see if I can locate the SDS and backtrack from there to see what’s in it. Sounds like you just need a lubricity additive and something to help with the biofuel issues. The TRC might be overkill.

Where do you source your fuel?

Either at a local service station (on road) or can have it delivered by a fuel dealer to a tank on the farm. (off road)

Not really turning over fuel like we used too so I'm weighing the option of getting on road when needed vs. filling the tank and having it sit for a long duration & perhaps becoming contaminated in some way.

Thanks for all the input.

Coaldust

Occupation
You are welcome. Call your fuel guy (Cenex, or the like) and ask for a spec sheet, or just ask if they additize. Your local fuel may be just fine.

Coaldust

Occupation
The TRC product that HCinNC was asking about is not a typical blended diesel fuel additive like we’ve been discussing. It appears to be 100% alkylated naphthalene. AN is a common solvent, cleaner and high pressure, high heat lubricant. It’s a common ingredient in many spray lubes, degreasers, cleaners, penetrating oils, paint and such. It’s a good emulsifier.

So, it Might help with the water issues associated with bio diesel and work as a lubricant.

The chemistry and application of alkylated naphthalene in diesel is way above my head. IDK?
Can’t say if it’s going to do you any good, or not.

Anyone remember putting mothballs in the gas tank? Same stuff.

DMiller

Occupation
Cheap "old" Geezer
One major issue with Bio Blends is they actually attack the plastics in some manufacturers fuel lines, they simply self destruct as the bio removes the bonds in those plastics.

As to additives, many are paraffin based and not compatible in the engines fuel systems anymore.