• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

older backhoe late 60 or 70 engine problem

tasmanian hoe

Hello again..is there any way i can lift the front bucket up so i can try to move the machine to a workable work space..thanks

tasmanian hoe

Hi...i would like to know now that i have the flywheel spinning a bit how would i get all the diesel fuel atf and acetone out of the cylinders...thanks

Delmer

Rock it back and forth till it goes around a few revolutions easily, put the starter back, run it five seconds with a fresh squirt of oil/atf, wait 5 minutes, repeat. then drain the oil pan, re fill and start.

tasmanian hoe

Rock it back and forth till it goes around a few revolutions easily, put the starter back, run it five seconds with a fresh squirt of oil/atf, wait 5 minutes, repeat. then drain the oil pan, re fill and start.
Thank you very much

kshansen

Occupation
Retired Mechanic in Stone Quarry
Hi...i would like to know now that i have the flywheel spinning a bit how would i get all the diesel fuel atf and acetone out of the cylinders...thanks

Go back to post #20 in this thread and you will see that question was already answered. To make it easy on you here i the key part of my post:
If you have an old five gallon bucket with a top and a shop vac of any kind do a search on this site for "suck bucket" there is a lot of reading about it but it would be an excellent tool for getting the liquid out of those cylinders. Very simple tool to make and very handy to have.

Just spinning the engine over will work but is not exactly environmentally friendly when working outside! And with all that acetone you've been dumping in there if the ignition system is working a stray spark could as they say "Light up your Life!"

tasmanian hoe

Go back to post #20 in this thread and you will see that question was already answered. To make it easy on you here i the key part of my post:
If you have an old five gallon bucket with a top and a shop vac of any kind do a search on this site for "suck bucket" there is a lot of reading about it but it would be an excellent tool for getting the liquid out of those cylinders. Very simple tool to make and very handy to have.

Just spinning the engine over will work but is not exactly environmentally friendly when working outside! And with all that acetone you've been dumping in there if the ignition system is working a stray spark could as they say "Light up your Life!"

Hi..well i havent starting spinning the engine yet..i will be using the suc bucket for sure makes more sense at least i will get a lot of liquid out ..thanks again

Grady

I would avoid using starting fluid in your attempt to get it running again. If you foul the plugs with whatever remains in the cylinders, put in a new set. A tune up isn't out of the question.

Delmer

forgot to add, leave the plugs out until you try to start it. hope that was understood. I wouldn't bother with the suck bucket but that's me. Most will have drained into the pan.

tasmanian hoe

I would avoid using starting fluid in your attempt to get it running again. If you foul the plugs with whatever remains in the cylinders, put in a new set. A tune up isn't out of the question.
Hi.. I think its due for a tune up

kshansen

Occupation
Retired Mechanic in Stone Quarry
Hi.. I think its due for a tune up
If there is any chance of getting a video of the first attempt to start I think it would be interesting to watch especially if it does start!

You will be notifying "The Ministry of the Environment (MOE)" right?;)

tasmanian hoe

If there is any chance of getting a video of the first attempt to start I think it would be interesting to watch especially if it does start!

You will be notifying "The Ministry of the Environment (MOE)" right?;)

Oh yeah.. the ministry was on top of the list..I havent tried to start it yet or did i attempt to remove the liquid in the cylinders...what i did was use a bottle jack did lift the front bucket as much it would go and got an old flag pole and another pole stuck it underneath the bucket and pulled the backhoe to a little better spot to work on..thanks