• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

old cat saftey vidio that you have to watch

TALLRICK

I downloaded this from the internet archive a few years back and admittedly got a few laughs out of it. A lot more serious than the "bobcat bootcamp" and sure makes some good points. People forget how easily a crawler can coast downhill when the final drive is removed.

CM1995

Administrator
Occupation
Running what I brung and taking what I win
Welcome to the Forums Rowdy16!:drinkup

Cowboy Billy

Occupation
Operating Engineers Local 324
Great Video!

A lot of old safety films look hokey. But that one can still fit in today.

One of my pet peeves is off road truck drivers that get out and stretch or pee when I am loading the truck. One chunk coming out of the bucket and its bye bye. I was running a cat 375 excavator. The hyd pump had grenaded and I got it right after the new pump was put in. About two hours running it I thought the swing felt funny. The next bucket it stayed engaged swinging to the left. And I barly had time to pull the bucket up and go over the cab. I kinda looked stupid with the bucket up swinging in circles until I got it shut off.

Billy

J.BobbyM

Occupation
Construction Equipment Distribution
I watched the sequence where the mechanic loses his hand while swabbing the pin bore on the 988 being shot in the Topeka Ks shop of Martin Cat. They had a fake hand on a stick but gave everyone a creepy feeling even knowing it was faked.

Martin was the nearest Cat dealer to the film maker, Centron Productions in Lawrence Ks and often loaned equipment or facilities for Centron film projects. They were Cat's primary film production company for safety, technical training and marketing during the 70's and 80's.

Tigercat

Occupation
Heavy Equipment Technician Apprentice
First day of Trade School this is what they show you.

Best Movie Ever Made!

John C.

Occupation
Machinery & Equipment Appraiser
We had that every year for MSHA training. It got so everyone knew the film frame by frame. I like the brake can going through the pickup window.

Hendrik

One of my pet peeves is off road truck drivers that get out and stretch or pee when I am loading the truck. One chunk coming out of the bucket and its bye bye. I was running a cat 375 excavator.
I would be bringing this up with the safety/union rep, actually I would stop loading until the driver is back in the cab. End of story.

Cowboy Billy

Occupation
Operating Engineers Local 324
Thanks Hendrik

You are right thats what I should have done. I have been running finish dozer for the last four years. But I still see it all the time.

Jumbo

Occupation
retired
I saw this film many years ago, and shortly after that, I watched a man get trapped between a counter weight and a wall, he was killed and smeared about 4 feet along the wall. As soon as the film started, I had to back out; I still get squeamish seeing that film.

Cletus

Occupation
Operator of Older Equipment, Old Equipment Operato
I think about the 988 bucket scene occasionaly. I saw this film in the late 1970's and never forgot! I allways wonderd what happend to those good CAT films but never took the time to search for them. I am sure glad they are around.
In these later years when life is good for me I feel lucky escaping some close calls and learn something from each one.
My formost thought these days "SITUATIONAL AWARENESS"

coalrulz

Shake hands with DANGER. I have seen this video at different times throughout my career and believe this to be one of the best. Some saftey videos try to be funny, this video and the "Don't tease the Tiger" ,from same era, have always seemed relevant. Deere had some good safety videos involving construction equipment, made in 80's and early 90's, but nothing like Shake Hands With Danger. Deereguy at Davenport said a stunt guy got seriously hurt makin one of the Deere videos.

motrack

Charter Member
Occupation
field service tech
I remember watching those films in the late 70,s. Wish I had a $ for every safety film forced on me over the years!

coalrulz

I sometimes think gentle reminders, such as safety videos and safety meetings have served me well in trying to keep safety in the front of my mind. I guess if your dead set against these things then they would seem like a burden to be put through. I used to think safety interactions (videos,meetings) were nonsense. Then got around the mining world and seen first hand some nasty injuries and how preaching safety helped remind me to not take shortcuts needlessly, or to at least think about the possible harm to me or someone else if shortcut is taken.

WaterDoc

Occupation
Complete water system disinfection services
First day of Trade School this is what they show you.

Best Movie Ever Made!

Haha, As soon as i saw what video it was i thought the same thing. We might have gone to the same trade school. Centennial?