• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

No Chains!?!

richardcatdaddy

Occupation
heavy equipment hauler,local
subject

It dont matter what I haul.I will always use more chains and binders that I need to.Can you actually overchain something?IMO,no you cant.Ona D8N,a binder on each corner,two pulling to the rear,two pulling to the front,one on each top corner of the blade pulling chains down,one heavy chain and 2 binders across the ripper.Ona track hoe,345,320 200el 210,binder on each cornernagain pulling rear and front.one chain and binder over the stick,plus a chain and binder on the back of the machine thru the tie down points pulling down.I would rather be safe than stupid and hurt someone.

Walt 66A

Occupation
HE mechanic
Many years ago, I worked for a small contractor that had a hard and fast rule - Only chain down a machine if it has tires on it! If he saw you chaining down a dozer, he made you take them off. His reasoning was that if it decided to move, let it go and not take the lowboy with it! He lost a couple because of that thinking, too. One time, he loaded a crawler and the brake lock didn't work. He just ran it up against the neck of the trailer and left it running in first gear! It worked OK, until he jumped a curb, and the tractor crawled up the neck and off the side of the trailer, almost hitting a new Oldsmobile.

MKTEF

Occupation
Production manager
Securing goods

Her by us we have a program on the military network where you can look up your transport vehicle and goods. :bash
Each type of trailer has sertified chainpoints in the dekking. And then all chains is certified with a controll tag; lenght, thicknes and so on checks.
When we introduce a new machine it will be calculated, pictured and tested on each transport vehicle.
This is then documented in the loading program.
If you want to transport a Komatsu D65 doser on a lowbed, you print out the securing instruction. Tells you everything on how to secure it acording to the law. (+ a security addition
If the military police stops you, and you havent followed the instruction, fines and no military driving admitance for the lowbed:(
Road police came by an accident with a lowbed, and a main battle tank, 110 000Lbs of MBT was hanging on to the trailer when it turned upside down in the ditch.
They dont controll us anymore..:)

srpccorp

By far I am no pro here, but I'd like to ask something. What are the chains that you guys use rated for? I mean a D8 weighs in at almost 85,000 lbs, for 6 chains to be able to hold back that much weight... they'd all have to be able to hold at least 15,000 lbs if not more. How do you know when it's time to retire a chain? Or a binder?

MKTEF

Occupation
Production manager
Chain rating in the NO Army.:cool:
We use chains with a break force of 32 000 Lbs/16000 kg.
Due to regulations they are allowed to secure 16 000 lbs/8000 kg.(EU regulations the Army follows.)
The chains is 10 millimeter thick and of grade 100 quality.:)
The same goes for the binder.
Both has a check tag in metal. Says the rating and has controll points for thicknes, length of the chain and minimum opening inside in the chain.

For that D8 i would use 6 chains directly backwards, 3 to each side, and 3 to the front. If there where trackstoppers i could reduse the number to the sides. Same goes if i can put the blade or the machine against the trailer in front.
Angles on the lashing will reduse the securing force, and more must be added.
This is Norwegian Military regulations, may be strickter than yours.:usa

richardcatdaddy

Occupation
heavy equipment hauler,local
subject

Pretty close on the D8N weight.86,000 is about it without the ripper or breaker as some call it.What I do is use 4 ratchet type bindwers.One on each corner.Hook to the track pad,2 pulling front and 2 pulling back.A chain over the blade arms, a chain across the ripper after it has been lowered.Just remember,if it wants to come off the trailer,no matter how well its locked down,its gonna come off.:usa

Bob Horrell

Charter Member
Occupation
Owner/Operator grading business
In a bad situation you probably wouldn't want it staying with you and the truck. If it came loose and didn't hurt anybody, you would be a lot better off. No matter how well it was secured, I don't think I would like 85,000 to 100,000 lbs staying with me in a bad wreck. Despite that, you still have to secure it the best you can and then hope it doesn't wad you up so they have to take you out in a baggie. Any time you have that much weight moving 55 to 65 mph and then stop it quick, it's not going to be pretty.

lgammon

with the 312 we do four at the corners. with all the loaders the front of trailer has a heavy bar across the front that we slip the teeth of the bucket under and one chain across the back the bar has 1/2" plate on each side and 3-4 rods from the trailer holding it on so its not going any where. we have done this for 30 years and never lost a load. even wreked a truck or two and never lost a load. with the 420e cat we chain across the main piviot on the back and use 2 short chains and ratchets in the front. the skid is what every one will get on me about. we have 4 inch straps made on to the gooseneck, i just slip one threw the hand holds on the front of the machine, i know i know bad me. i have chains on the trailer but i hate getting that grease all over me with the chains. and if i wreck i don't wont that thing with me, and lets be real about that, is it any better to have a machine and trailer on top of some one or just the machine? if it is going and you have all those chains on it, it is just going to take the trailer with it. i don't think that it is any safer

Camarogenius

I'm a trucker by trade. It does my heart good to read about all of this "Over securing". I'm a bit of a "securement nazi". That's meant to say that I'm anal about making sure nothing EVER moves on my trailer.
I've actually been laughed at for over chaining.
I just tell them it's insurance.
I think I've pissed off a couple of my drivers, cause if I don't like the way their load is secured, I'll go out and bust it loose and re-secure it to my satisfaction. I'll do it right in front of them. If there's any serious deficiencies, I'll chew their ass while I'm doing it.:Banghead

DBGoalie

Occupation
Network Admin
Moving anything without securing it is just plain negligent. The way I look at it, my wife and kids are out driving around during the day, and if some idiot didn't properly secure his or her load and something happened to them, I can't even begin to imagine how that would feel. I understand accidents happen, but an accident is something that can't be avoided. A piece of equipment that falls off a trailer because it wasn't secured, that can be avoided. I wouldn't even move a dozer from one end of a development to another without throwing binders on it. How did I know that someone's kids wouldn't come running into the street from one of the houses that were sold, or someone comes driving into the development looking at the pretty houses and gets in my path and I have to hit the brakes?

RollOver Pete

Occupation
Operating Engineer/mechanic
Ouch!

:cool:

Attachments

• 405520657WSVTWs_ph.jpg
    405520657WSVTWs_ph.jpg
    38.1 KB · Views: 630
  • 405521198nyxfZu_ph.jpg
    405521198nyxfZu_ph.jpg
    33.1 KB · Views: 631
  • 2494074190065476939WFpvzO_ph.jpg
    2494074190065476939WFpvzO_ph.jpg
    42.5 KB · Views: 645

OzDozer

Occupation
Semi-Retired ..
Oh, yes .. chain down EVERYTHING .. big items, AND small items .. or else, it can get very expensive .. and a lot of times .. very painful, too .. :(

Attachments

• boatpickup.jpg
    boatpickup.jpg
    44.8 KB · Views: 561
  • Truck wreck Europe.jpg
    Truck wreck Europe.jpg
    49 KB · Views: 578

Ford LT-9000

Banned
Occupation
Rolling around in the dirt
Okay that Nissan with a boat has to be a prank but that blue cab over with the pipe is serious was that a fatal ?

Steve Frazier

Founder
Staff member
It appears to me the Nissan was towing the boat and rear ended another vehicle coming to an abrupt stop. It seems pretty conceivable to me that the boat could climb the truck if it were not tied properly due to the shape of the bow. The front of the bow has scuff marks most likely from riding up over the rubber bumpers of the trailer.

LowBoy

Occupation
Owner, Iron Mountain Iron & Equipment (Transport)
Most likely what happened. We had a similar accident 3 miles from here last summer. At the foot of the mountain I live on, is an abrupt left turn (with no dedicated turning lane,) leading into the National Forest, to a series of beautiful reserviors used by daytime boaters. A guy with a boat in tow was stopped, waiting to make this left, when an out-of-stater slammed into the boat trailer at about 50 m.p.h., shooting the boat over top of the tow vehicle and it slid a good 100-150 feet before stopping in the middle of the highway. No serious injuries thank Goodness, but made a mess out of all the vehicles, and changed everybody's plans for the weekend. It ended up at the service station where my boy once worked, and the boat wasn't in too good of shape, trailer was shaped like a "U", there was packages of hotdogs, buns, charcoal and exploded beer cans everywhere.:drinkup