• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

No Chains!?!

Senator215i

Occupation
operator/maintainer for QLD rail
Saw at the end of last year when i was one the way home from work a brand new hitachi think it was about a 25ton machine only chained the undercarriage the boom and stick flopping round side to side hitting the ramps on the trailer.

Senator215i

Occupation
operator/maintainer for QLD rail
Also have seen lots of skidsteers straped down just through the handles on the front of the cab. Have seen one with just a strap of the top of the cab.

BIGBEN2004

I have seen many skid loaders with only one yellow 3" strap over the cab holding them down. Needless to say I stay clear of them knowing it could come off at any moment.

dayexco

Saw at the end of last year when i was one the way home from work a brand new hitachi think it was about a 25ton machine only chained the undercarriage the boom and stick flopping round side to side hitting the ramps on the trailer.

do the new hitachis have a switchable swing brake? without hydraulic pressure, doesn't the swing brake automatically apply?

Chaz Murray

Here is a prime reason for chaining down loads....not only that the main reason we do not like narrow neck goosenecks

Attachments

• NarrowNeckAccidentr.jpg
    NarrowNeckAccidentr.jpg
    44.4 KB · Views: 257

AtlasRob

Occupation
owner operator
chains

Is it just me or are there no chains on the undercarriage of that Hiachi Excavator?

Checking the original photo I managed to detect one chain on the undercarriage to the rear but I cannot see a chain to the front, though I believe there would be one.

iron kid, In the UK that rig will be plated to run at STGO 2 which means max gross of 80t so he will be OK.

Last edited: