• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

New Zealand Trucking

Juggernaut

As a Yank that lived in the land of the long white cloud for a few years, and I hold a Heavy Truck NZ License, them monsters used to scare the soup outta me and my Kiwi better half when they came sliding around some of those tight turns on Highway One while we were on our motorbike!

kiwi

hi there juggernaut
i take it your talking about there lpg tankers lol..year there trucks are mint
they take alot of pride in there rigs. did you drive a truck in nz?

Juggernaut

NZ Operator

Howdy
I obtained my HT License by attending the accelerated school in Taranaga. 2 day course + $600 = HT License. I needed it to rent a large moving truck, then a motor home we owned. I did hold a CDL in the states years ago. If your not a working operator here, you lose it. My 610 Volvo is actually reclassified and registered as a motor home where as you do not nee a HT/CDL to operate on this side of the pond.

Aussie John

Occupation
Maintenance Planner, mining equipment
On the theme of trucking down-under, here is a rig working on Groote Eylandt in the Northern Territory. It is one of a set of 4 running between a mine site and export whalf. It is refered as a "B Quad". This one along with the set of belly dump trailers is brand new on the day it was delivered to site delivered. Each trailer has a turntable which carries the front of the next trailer. Good tracking and no sway like a conventional 3 trailer road train. Total gross weight close to 250 tons. The Kenworths are powered by double turbo Cat C15s putting out 620hp at 50psi manifold boost.
The Red Kenworth is powered by a 600hp Cummins and hauling 3 side tipping trailers. These Kenworths are fitted with tri-drive axles for extra traction.
Regards,
John

Attachments

• IMG_4878.jpg
    IMG_4878.jpg
    24.5 KB · Views: 1,704
  • IMG_4876.jpg
    IMG_4876.jpg
    34 KB · Views: 1,871
  • IMG_4947.jpg
    IMG_4947.jpg
    30.7 KB · Views: 1,639

D6c10K

The only thing I know about New Zealand trucking is, don't ride a motorcycle in the rain behind a sheep truck...

furpo

74 Kenworth LW924

Thought you guys might enjoy these

YouTube - Kenworth LW

YouTube - Kenworth LW part II

They are a couple of vidios of the old girl carting a load of poplar pulp to Tokoroa.

Engine is now a 400 Big Cam III orgininaly it had a 335 small cam. Gearbox is the 15 speed roadranger. The overdrive round the corner 4th gear option. Diffs are the sshd's

The truck was brought into the countrey by the NZFS then to become part of Pan Pac. The colours are the Paul Carters from Tokoroa.

Enjoy

Aussie John

Occupation
Maintenance Planner, mining equipment
Mitch, yes it is a small community. I finished up there 2 months ago and back in the Central Queensland Coal Fields now, assisting in the maintenance planning on a fleet of 7 walking draglines & a P&H 4100 shovel along with half a dozen O&K diggers - RH120 up to RH200.

Regards,
John

MitchSA

Sounds interesting!! Biggest I get to work on at the moment is 30t excavators and dump trucks, LOL :) Tiny compared to your stuff!! Maybe one day when I'm in Oz I'll get to play with those!!