• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

New Zealand Trucking

lancef

Thought as Ive been in the states driving a bit and now back home I would show some pics of how we operate down here.Simply put as far as weights go on big trucks ie 18 wheeler tractor with say quad semi we can go to 45500kgs gross ( 103000lbs approx ).Wont do a essay hopefully you enjoy the pics.:)

Attachments

• snow 010 (Custom).JPG
    snow 010 (Custom).JPG
    62.1 KB · Views: 3,044
  • AD 1 (Small).jpg
    AD 1 (Small).jpg
    78.3 KB · Views: 3,434
  • June 08 018 (Small).jpg
    June 08 018 (Small).jpg
    59.4 KB · Views: 2,951

lancef

Glad you both enjoy them.

Attachments

• Oct 2007 006 (Small).jpg
    Oct 2007 006 (Small).jpg
    48.8 KB · Views: 3,167
  • May 08 08 038 (Small).jpg
    May 08 08 038 (Small).jpg
    56.3 KB · Views: 2,904
  • Trucking 003 (Small).jpg
    Trucking 003 (Small).jpg
    23.8 KB · Views: 2,894

King of Obsolete

Occupation
marketing my life style
yes nice snow digger, in a couple of weeks we will be having snow here in the great white north. then i can play with my cats, LOL

why so big of head lites on the western star????

thansk
KoO
Published Author

AtlasRob

Occupation
owner operator
Thought I would show some pics of how we operate down here.Simply put as far as weights go on big trucks ie 18 wheeler tractor with say quad semi we can go to 45500kgs gross ( 103000lbs approx )..:)

Nice pics, quite some contrast there between the FH12 in the snow and the ? ( big yank truck :) ) in the town enviroment.
Big W on bonnet :eek: possibly a Western Star ( thanks Koo :D )

Can you please explain the wheel and turning set up in the pic of the FH12.
I know its a 6x4 unit and take it the last is a standard twin axle trailer with a king pin but how are the 3 axles in the middle configured, we dont have anything remotely like that in the UK that I have ever come across, and the two boxes seem very close together.

As for weights we can now run at 44t (44,000 kg) on 6 axles, but with permits and loads of paperwork can and do go alot heavier.

Last edited:

Bob Horrell

Charter Member
Occupation
Owner/Operator grading business
Can someone explain the air cleaner set up on the Western Star? That is the first time I have seen something like that.

Squizzy246B

Administrator
Occupation
Digger Driver
Can someone explain the air cleaner set up on the Western Star? That is the first time I have seen something like that.

Pretty much standard setup for our part of the world Bob although NZ is less likely to be as dusty as road trains experience in parts of Aus.

The air ram is up high for clean air and filter is generally larger than standard.

http://www.westernstar.com.au/wstar_au/index.asp

The pics at the top of the page will change every so often.

Tacodriver

Occupation
Yarder op, hoechucker, lowbedder etc..
Nice pics, quite some contrast there between the FH12 in the snow and the ? ( big yank truck :) ) in the town enviroment.
Big W on bonnet :eek: possibly a Western Star ( thanks Koo :D )

Can you please explain the wheel and turning set up in the pic of the FH12.
I know its a 6x4 unit and take it the last is a standard twin axle trailer with a king pin but how are the 3 axles in the middle configured, we dont have anything remotely like that in the UK that I have ever come across, and the two boxes seem very close together.

As for weights we can now run at 44t (44,000 kg) on 6 axles, but with permits and loads of paperwork can and do go alot heavier.

The lead trailer has a 5th wheel over the rear axle. Called a Super B train. Up here in Alberta and B.c that would legal grossed @ 63500kg

bear

Occupation
Math, Physics, keeping out of trouble and doing od
Look ooooooooooouuuuuuuuut! Yer on the wrong side of the road. :D Nice rigs running there. Thanks for sharing. And yes ther fer a minute I thought I saw an accident in progress. That means it time for bed and 3 hours of sleep go to school and then work and then three more hours of sleep and do it again, all week. Glad my financial aid disbursement will be here in another 2 weeks all i do on weekends is sleep.

Bob Horrell

Charter Member
Occupation
Thanks for the info. Squizzy. I figured it was for that, but it would only work if you were following someone close. On the construction sites I work on, the dust is in the air higher than those intakes, so it wouldn't make much difference. It could also double as a deep water crossing snorkle, however, it you ever crossed water deep enough to need them, clean dry air would be the last thing to worry about.
On an Ice Road Truckers episode I was watching, I noticed that the Western Stars had an input out to the air cleaners from the warm engine compartment. Cleaver, those Canadians.

RonG

Charter Member
Occupation
heavy equipment operator
Thanks for the info. Squizzy. I figured it was for that, but it would only work if you were following someone close. On the construction sites I work on, the dust is in the air higher than those intakes, so it wouldn't make much difference. It could also double as a deep water crossing snorkle, however, it you ever crossed water deep enough to need them, clean dry air would be the last thing to worry about.
On an Ice Road Truckers episode I was watching, I noticed that the Western Stars had an input out to the air cleaners from the warm engine compartment. Cleaver, those Canadians.

Mack has a damper to draw under hood air whenever the wipers are on.Their intent I believe was to keep the snow out of the air cleaners which is a problem with plow trucks.Ron G

Squizzy246B

Administrator
Occupation
Digger Driver

Bob, some of our roads aren't the best......

Attachments

• roadtrain.jpg
    roadtrain.jpg
    48.7 KB · Views: 1,626

Bob Horrell

Charter Member
Occupation
Looks a lot like the roads where I live. A lot of them are private dirt roads several miles in length with a bunch of homes/ranches off of them. My ranch is over a mile off the main highway on a dirt road shared by about 30 other properties, some as far a 5 miles farther than I am.