• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

New Zealand Trucking

bear

Occupation
Math, Physics, keeping out of trouble and doing od
wow! that last truck is scary. otherwise, just keep the pics rolling

I know I love those giant guards that get put on those trucks. If I'm thinking correctly ( which is more and more in doubt these days) to keep kangaroos and other critters from doing major harm to the truck. This reminds me they're making a fourth Mad Max movie now or soon. The first is a classic the others... ok but didn't have enough or any of that bad ( as in sweet, awesome or anything else that denotes coolness) XB Falcon. too bad it later died a fiery death... sigh :Banghead Any of you guys Down Under ever drive one? if so don't tell me if they happened to be crap :rolleyes: Any way time fer a weekend innit?

AtlasRob

Occupation
owner operator
The lead trailer has a 5th wheel over the rear axle. Called a Super B train. Up here in Alberta and B.c that would legal grossed @ 63500kg

Sorry being a bit thick here :eek: just to be clear. Of the three axles on the lead trailer, the 3rd is actually stuck out back of the trailer and has a fifth wheel on it ?

RocksnRoses

Occupation
Owner operater crushing & contracting business
Sorry being a bit thick here :eek: just to be clear. Of the three axles on the lead trailer, the 3rd is actually stuck out back of the trailer and has a fifth wheel on it ?

G'day Atlas Rob,

The three axles are actually a tri-axle group mounted to the trailer chassis of what is called the A trailer, which is the first trailer. The body on the A trailer, whether it is a pantech, stock crate, flat top or tipper is shorter so that there is enough room at the end of the trailer frame to mount a fifth wheel, which then has the second trailer (B trailer) attached to it.
With tippers, the tri-axle group slides in the trailer frame so when tipping the A trailer, the B trailer is unhooked, the axle group is slid forward and then the A trailer can be tipped. To slide the axle group there are air operated pins that lock it to the trailer frame, these are released, the rig is reversed and then the trailer brakes are applied and this in turn slides the axles forward where they are locked again and the trailer can be tipped. It also can be used as a single trailer as well as a B Double.
This link explains it a little better. http://www.tefco.com.au/Models/BDoubleATrailers/SliderATrailer/tabid/718/language/en-US/Default.aspx

Rn'R.

surfer-joe

Cabovers are rare here anymore, see an old model on the highway once in a while. See about as many set up as a straight flatbed as with 5th wheels. I don't recall ever seeing a cabover on the Ice Road Truckers series.

AtlasRob

Occupation
owner operator
G'day Atlas Rob,

The three axles are actually a tri-axle group mounted to the trailer chassis of what is called the A trailer, which is the first trailer. The body on the A trailer, whether it is a pantech, stock crate, flat top or tipper is shorter so that there is enough room at the end of the trailer frame to mount a fifth wheel, which then has the second trailer (B trailer) attached to it.
With tippers, the tri-axle group slides in the trailer frame so when tipping the A trailer, the B trailer is unhooked, the axle group is slid forward and then the A trailer can be tipped. To slide the axle group there are air operated pins that lock it to the trailer frame, these are released, the rig is reversed and then the trailer brakes are applied and this in turn slides the axles forward where they are locked again and the trailer can be tipped. It also can be used as a single trailer as well as a B Double.
This link explains it a little better. http://www.tefco.com.au/Models/BDoubleATrailers/SliderATrailer/tabid/718/language/en-US/Default.aspx

Rn'R.

Top Man Rn'R Thank you very much for the explanation and the link :drinkup
I would never have worked out the set up, and for a tipper I would have assumed ( never assume ) it was a side tip :eek:
The nearest I have seen in the UK is on a brick carrying artic, it has a deck above the triple axles to carry a full load, but for access to tight sites the triple slides under ( minus the bricks ;) ) and I now know where some smart *** got the idea from :thumbsup

mouse

Occupation
(wishfully) avoiding work as much as possible
I know I love those giant guards that get put on those trucks. If I'm thinking correctly ( which is more and more in doubt these days) to keep kangaroos and other critters from doing major harm to the truck. This reminds me they're making a fourth Mad Max movie now or soon. The first is a classic the others... ok but didn't have enough or any of that bad ( as in sweet, awesome or anything else that denotes coolness) XB Falcon. too bad it later died a fiery death... sigh :Banghead Any of you guys Down Under ever drive one? if so don't tell me if they happened to be crap :rolleyes: Any way time fer a weekend innit?

giant guards? i assume you mean the bull bar which is more of use for cattle, water buffalo and camels than roos.

4th mad max looks likr getting underway soon but is being filmed in africa. they did start on it a while back but shelved it (inc all the cars built for it) cause of the gulf war.

and fyi the xb is/was a pos in the handling stakes, too light in the rear end.

lancef

Gald you guys are enjoying the pics.Here a couple more.

Attachments

• 015 (2) (Small).JPG
    015 (2) (Small).JPG
    55.7 KB · Views: 1,487
  • july 08 013 (Small).jpg
    july 08 013 (Small).jpg
    48.6 KB · Views: 1,490
  • Trucking NZ 007 (Small).jpg
    Trucking NZ 007 (Small).jpg
    67.3 KB · Views: 1,508

lancef

:) Hpoe you enjoy.:eek:

Attachments

• Jan 08 028 (Small).jpg
    Jan 08 028 (Small).jpg
    40.7 KB · Views: 1,511
  • March 08 041 (Small).jpg
    March 08 041 (Small).jpg
    45.6 KB · Views: 1,494
  • May 2007 006 (Small).jpg
    May 2007 006 (Small).jpg
    75.7 KB · Views: 1,507

lancef

A t950 based in Christchurch.

A brand new Freightliner Argusy.

A old White with a ts14 and 4 axle semi trailer.

Attachments

• Jan 2008 005 (Small).jpg
    Jan 2008 005 (Small).jpg
    53.9 KB · Views: 1,537
  • Ch-Ch 07 007 (Small).jpg
    Ch-Ch 07 007 (Small).jpg
    56.8 KB · Views: 1,568
  • Amberly 2007 001 (Small).jpg
    Amberly 2007 001 (Small).jpg
    49.5 KB · Views: 1,583

lancef

Couple more.

Attachments

• May 2007 003 (Small).jpg
    May 2007 003 (Small).jpg
    54.1 KB · Views: 1,416
  • Sept 07 013 (Small).jpg
    Sept 07 013 (Small).jpg
    40.3 KB · Views: 1,410
  • March 08 08 003 (Small).jpg
    March 08 08 003 (Small).jpg
    76.4 KB · Views: 1,432

AtlasRob

Occupation
owner operator
Couple more.

Great pics lancef and thanks for sharing. Its intresting to see rope and sheet ( tarp + ratchet straps now ) still being used. Is that still very popular or are curtain siders and boxes ( containers ) more the norm? :drinkup

lancef

Yeah still common over here.A lot of trucks like stock or curtin siders are a designed to take there tops off so they are flat tops and can cart hay,steel, timber etc.Being a seasonal country and just as competitive as most countries are in the transport industry we need to adapt to customers requirments.
Example a 8 wheeler Wester Star tractor unit came in our yard yesterday with a tank on so in essence he was a truck and would back in to a 4 axle trailer and be a truck and trailer untill the job was done,then take the tank off the tractor unit ,put on his fitth wheel and back under a 45ft semi trailer and cart containers.
Pics below are how Freightlines like to operate.Loaded with wool unloaded with sides on and then went and got a load of stones and tipping them off.The sides come off as well and stack against the head board,the are made out of aluminum and weigh about 50 pounds each.Then able to cart timber or pallets etc.
Damn I ranted a bit sorry.:drinkup

Attachments

• Freightlines 002 (Small).jpg
    Freightlines 002 (Small).jpg
    48 KB · Views: 1,376
  • Freightlines 005 (Small).jpg
    Freightlines 005 (Small).jpg
    40.5 KB · Views: 1,358
  • Trucking 001 (Small).jpg
    Trucking 001 (Small).jpg
    50.8 KB · Views: 1,365

AtlasRob

Occupation
owner operator
Damn I ranted a bit sorry.:drinkup

No you didn't, that is very intresting stuff and thank you for sharing.
Sounds like your trucks are very very versatile which they know doubt need to be to be productive.
I would be intrested to see a picture of the 8 wheeler ( or similar ) that can swap a tank for a 5th wheel. We seem to have trucks for a job and thats it. Obviously the tractor units swap different trailers, bulk tippers, container sketals, flats, tanks, etc but most of the 8 wheelers now are tippers, and a flat 6 legger are about as rare as rocking horse poo! We get a few "wagon and drag" as we call um ( truck and steerable trailer) and the parcel companies use a box and close coupled trailer set up but our general haulage seems to revolve around an artic. ( or I spend to much time near motorways :D )

lancef

Devanned this the other day

Will try and get a pic of the tractor units for ya.Heres a small job we done,pulled out this tigarcat from a 40ft container put the wheels on and some one took it away.Awsume sounding machine. Took about 3 hours with 2 of us.

Attachments

• sept 08 10mm 006 (Small).jpg
    sept 08 10mm 006 (Small).jpg
    71.2 KB · Views: 1,301
  • sept 08 10mm 005 (Small).jpg
    sept 08 10mm 005 (Small).jpg
    53.6 KB · Views: 1,305
  • sept 08 10mm 004 (Small).jpg
    sept 08 10mm 004 (Small).jpg
    63.6 KB · Views: 1,295
  • sept 08 10mm 015 (Small).jpg
    sept 08 10mm 015 (Small).jpg
    58.6 KB · Views: 1,261
  • sept 08 10mm 016 (Small).jpg
    sept 08 10mm 016 (Small).jpg
    63.5 KB · Views: 1,304

AtlasRob

Occupation
owner operator
Heres a small job we done,pulled out this tigarcat from a 40ft container

I was impressed when I saw Brian Hays machine come out of a box, but I would of lost money on a bet about that Tigercat in a box :D

Last edited by a moderator:

lancef

Im glad peoples are enjoying them.1st two pics are of a bullie I saw in the states when I was driving over there. Check out the sawing action the blade would use with it down,and the third is of our new Western Star.

Attachments

• florida_to_waco_009_custom_3_213 (Small).jpg
    florida_to_waco_009_custom_3_213 (Small).jpg
    45.7 KB · Views: 1,185
  • florida_to_waco_008_custom_125 (Small).jpg
    florida_to_waco_008_custom_125 (Small).jpg
    51.1 KB · Views: 1,190
  • Oct 08 d 004 (Small).jpg
    Oct 08 d 004 (Small).jpg
    47.6 KB · Views: 1,197