• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

New to me

Willie B

Occupation
Electrician
We got the filter housing off. Several hoses, a couple bolts & a spider web of stuff in the way. The whole filter assembly came out. Bolted it to channel, & welded channel to loader bucket. 3/4" breaker bar, 3' cheater, & Sean (6'5", 290 LBS mostly muscle) the filter canister unthreaded.

Found some bits of metal in the filter. A few steel rings maybe 3/8" diameter, #14 wire, one bent. And there was a 3/16 long piece of porous brass, maybe 1/4" ID, 5/16" OD

Tinkerer

We got the filter housing off. Several hoses, a couple bolts & a spider web of stuff in the way. The whole filter assembly came out. Bolted it to channel, & welded channel to loader bucket. 3/4" breaker bar, 3' cheater, & Sean (6'5", 290 LBS mostly muscle) the filter canister unthreaded.

Found some bits of metal in the filter. A few steel rings maybe 3/8" diameter, #14 wire, one bent. And there was a 3/16 long piece of porous brass, maybe 1/4" ID, 5/16" OD
That has to have been the worse filter ordeal I have ever read about or was involved with. Willie !
Scary assortment of stuff in it to.

Willie B

Occupation
Electrician
Filter canister got cracked in all the improvised strap wrenches.
Went on line. A new one is $800.
It was oil soaked porous cast aluminum. Thankfully, not in a critical spot where heat would affect the seal at the thread.
Weld would look good, then bubble as it cooled. It kept expanding trying to get a seal.
It ain't pretty.
Filter canister.jpg

DMiller

Occupation
Cheap "old" Geezer
That will ooze like a bad sore. If have a p/n check some yards or Machinery Trader part look up for a used one while keep using this one until shows up.

Delmer

JBweld on the inside and forget about it. And stick a couple hard drive magnets to the filter cartridge before you put it back together.

Theweldor

Occupation
The Village Idiot
I take you tig welded that housing. Grind it off an do it again if you want to get the oil out of the pores in the aluminium. I have repaired stuff like that and sometimes had to redo it three or four times.

Willie B

Occupation
Electrician
Only ran it 30 minutes. So far no sign of seepage. We even put it together with the old O ring! The new one arrives Tuesday (maybe). Filtered the old oil, put it back. Bought HyTran to replace it. We'll do that when we have the new O ring.
I would not have believed it, no leaks yet!
So far, replacing crushed suction tube, new filter, hydraulics seem to work properly.

DMiller

Occupation
Cheap "old" Geezer
Would just keep a close eye for snail trails or odd controls reactions when using
Sounds as got a win

Willie B

Occupation
Electrician
Would just keep a close eye for snail trails or odd controls reactions when using
Sounds as got a win
I'll keep a close eye. The filter came without an O ring. Nortrax (the only John Deere dealer has to approve me as a customer, no word when, before I can order parts. Ordered the O ring from a less exclusive aftermarket supplier. Should see it Tuesday.

Willie B

Occupation
Electrician
Update:
It is a 12 gallon hydraulic system. My son now reports he refilled with NAPA oil rated to meet the standard specified. He replaced only 8 gallons, some remains in the cylinders.

Checking the suction screen; clean.
Replacing the filter; a couple bits of metal described above. A bit of gunk, not bad.
Found a crushed suction hose between transaxle & pump. I reasoned it interfered with oil getting to the pump.

Tried it for the first time extended use last night. Same as before surgery!
It digs well for 1/2 hour, then loses hydraulic power. Can't lift a bucket full of rocky dirt. Boom settles quickly to the ground when parked.

What do I do next? I hate to start throwing parts at it. A pump might explain the weak hydraulics, but it won't explain the settling. It behaves like my 1974 410 did, that proved to be two defective sections in the backhoe valve leaking past to the reservoir.

DMiller

Occupation
Cheap "old" Geezer
Heating up, expanding clearances within the pump, possibly in the valve body but the settling most likely bypassing oil at cylinder seals.

Welder Dave

You might have burned all the oil when you welded the filter housing. It's common on aluminum, especially castings to have to weld and grind it out several times to get all the dirt and oil out. Just keep an eye on it. The nice thing with aluminum is you can reweld it again and take more steps to burn all the oil out. The weld isn't completely black which indicates you got it pretty clean.

Willie B

Occupation
Electrician
Tried it again before supper. 45 minutes on a hot day digging in soil about half gravel, half boulders. No evidence of earlier symptoms. Plenty of digging power, little settling. If I fully extend dipper, extend it all the way, boom 45 degrees from vertical, I'd guess 3 hours to touch the ground.

Could it have been air in the system, emulsified oil?

Tinkerer

Tried it again before supper. 45 minutes on a hot day digging in soil about half gravel, half boulders. No evidence of earlier symptoms. Plenty of digging power, little settling. If I fully extend dipper, extend it all the way, boom 45 degrees from vertical, I'd guess 3 hours to touch the ground.

Could it have been air in the system, emulsified oil?
Good news, Willie!
Yes, probably air.
Wow 3 hours is good.