• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

New to me

Willie B

Occupation
Electrician
Update;
I took two Port Relief valves out this evening. Not a lot going on. If I get it, a needle in a small port is pressed by a spring. When pressure reaches enough to lift the needle from its seat oil floods the space at the head of a very small piston, overcoming the spring that holds it against a seat.
The needle I mentioned doesn't have a conical seat, only a hole in flat. I think wear, or other miss fit, The needle doesn't always find the hole. Four of eight port relief valves are identical, with the boom lift tightened more. This was tight as it could go. I'd guess it had been attempted before under different ownership.

Seth & I switched reliefs loosening the new crowd out to where the old was, & loosening the new boom just a bit.

Now the boom stays up forever, occasionally the "crowd out" sags, but only a cycle or two.

I'm on the right track. I will order a new crowd relief. I believe they are available. I don't understand why John Deere won't say "use the other relief valve, but turn it up." They could have saved me a lot of trouble.

After removing two valves, finding them to be identical except adjustment, I wondered if the other valves in the stack were available. I asked to speak to Service department at Nortrax.

We discussed the part number: NLA
Alternative part number, shipped from stock pre adjusted to lower pressure: NLA
Can you sell me a rebuild kit?
A: No.
You mean there is no kit for any of 8 port relief valves on this valve pack?
A: No, we list rebuild kits. they're $53.00. I'll have it to you Thursday.

I'm not sure why they couldn't have mentioned that option weeks ago!

dixon700

Occupation
heavy truck mechanic
As for a much earlier subject, not enough front weight, when I replace my front tires on my 580sk I plan to get them foam filled, no worry of flats, and adds a good deal of weight.

Willie B

Occupation
Electrician
OK, never heard of foam as extra weight. Nor have I felt the need for more front weight on the 580K. The over center parking position of the hoe makes a difference in balance. Mine has the 900 LB counter weight in front & I can swing the hoe to the side to compensate for side hill.
The JD locks the hoe center, & hangs it off the rear. Can't seem to keep front wheels on the ground, and I need right foot for the throttle. I'd steer left foot on brakes, but it is needed for the clutch. I need more feet to use a JD.

Of course both my Case 580K & JD 410C are extend a hoe machines. Case says extend a hoe adds 2050 LBS to the rig. heavier tires, heavier counter weight, and heavier hoe.

dixon700

Occupation
heavy truck mechanic
My 580sk is cab, heat, a/c, extendahoe, 2' heavy duty bucket, and I was thinking 1500lb counterweight, but driving up a decent hill the front tires are off the ground. ‍♂️ I mean it's tolerable, but the extra 150lb per tire would help. It's a polyurethane kinda like what seals windshields in.

mitch504

The front tires on my 580sK are filled with water, just like the rear tires on a farm tractor. It helps a lot. And it was free...

Swetz

Occupation
Electric & Gas Company
I have seen tires on small backhoes and forklifts filled with foam...they are heavy! I have also seen a tire filled with foam that was so out of balance that the forklift operator felt like the bounce was going to eject him from the machine. We sent the tires out to be filled, so I know nothing of the process or what went wrong in the case of the forklift, because others were just fine. I remember that once the tire is filled, it is done, so in the case of the forklift, a several hundred dollar tire was scrap. I believe they have to cut them off the rim because they are solid once filled, again, we sent them out so I am not familiar with the specifics, only that we had a bill to pay. All the above stated, they did work as intended....weight and no more flats. Personally, I think I would stick to the beet juice. Willie B being in VT, I dont see water as an option.

DMiller

Occupation
Cheap "old" Geezer
Am using Methanol and water in my AG tractor Fronts as well rears, All tube type. Tires remain Fixable and rims do not need replaced when a tire is due. Know when get a thorn in a front, becomes a fountain.

colson04

Rims are still usable afterwards just have to cut tire off.
The place that fills them will cut them off

For how much? I've got a JLG lift with foam filled tires that need replacing. Tires are original, broken down and falling apart, but they are foam filled. I'd have them replaced already if they were still pneumatic.

dixon700

Occupation
heavy truck mechanic
In PA, I don't think water in the tires would be a great idea, I really don't road my backhoe much, so not overly concerned with out of round. If calcium and stuff wasn't such a pain that requires a pump I'd go calcium since it's the most sense fill.

Willie B

Occupation
Electrician
The old standby has always been calcium chloride. It weighs much more than water, won't freeze, and inside a not leaking tube, is no problem.

One of the absolutes in tractor ownership is that tubes leak, tires leak, oil leaks, coolant leaks. If you got something not leaking, it is empty.

Some use second hand anti freeze in tires. It'll kill a beloved pet when it leaks. I'm not going there.

Some use windshield washer anti freeze. Less toxic, but expensive.

Beet juice is my choice. Tire dealers get 6000 Gallon shipments, and pay for the whole truckload with mark up on the first tire. Very costly, it lasts as long as a tube, and won't kill when it does leak.

We play around in antique tractor pulls, spend too much time trying to figure out how to cast lead into unnoticeable add ons.
Tires get water until October, then get drained. No rule against weight, but hiding weight and pulling 25000 LBS on a boat looks impressive!
I want to add 2000 LBS of lead inside my tires.

motoOzarks

Occupation
self employed
For how much? I've got a JLG lift with foam filled tires that need replacing. Tires are original, broken down and falling apart, but they are foam filled. I'd have them replaced already if they were still pneumatic.

Can't say for sure but maybe for free for your business
The place I go said he would remove the old tires for free after I told him it cost me a chainsaw chain removing them myself........