• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

New service truck

funwithfuel

Occupation
Mechanic
You gotta remember, I grew up in 70's-80's. Everything was powered by Cummins 290's Cat 3208 or DD6-71. Ford Louisville, GMC brigadier, ol hendrickson's. They all had em crammed in there sideways. I remember the first time I changed the alternator on a 6-71 in a L8000. Took me 3 hours to fight that damned dog house outta there and a week to get the hands to come clean.
I like em, just don't like working on them. Especially since I never learned to do it right.

Don't be mad, I mean no offense.

funwithfuel

Occupation
Mechanic
I'll have to take a picture of some of the old iron that looks like it's from the 70s or older at the yard. Like a cable operated dozer.
That would be cool. I like the old stuff. I used to b!tch there wasn't enough room to work on stuff. Then someone decided,let's cram emissions controls in there too. Dirty b@st@rds!

RZucker

Occupation
Mechanic/welder
You gotta remember, I grew up in 70's-80's. Everything was powered by Cummins 290's Cat 3208 or DD6-71. Ford Louisville, GMC brigadier, ol hendrickson's. They all had em crammed in there sideways. I remember the first time I changed the alternator on a 6-71 in a L8000. Took me 3 hours to fight that damned dog house outta there and a week to get the hands to come clean.
I like em, just don't like working on them. Especially since I never learned to do it right.

Don't be mad, I mean no offense.
Yeah, being an old Detroit guy I sometimes get worked up about misconceptions of what they really were about. Again I will state that properly assembled... they don't leak.

funwithfuel

Occupation
Mechanic
In all honesty I did build one from a bare block. It was a little 3-53 from an Insley H800 way, way back in like 88 or so. Soon as I had oil pressure, full throttle, full load for what seemed like forever. I was praying,"don't pop"
She survived, didn't smoke, didn't leak, didn't lope either. Don't know how I pulled that off. I was proud of that little engine that could.

RZucker

Occupation
Mechanic/welder
I wish I could find a vid with sound of an old Wabco B-70 with a 12V71 and Nelson manifold mufflers and 5" stacks. I think that was the ultimate sound show from any Detroit.

funwithfuel

Occupation
Mechanic
Got to road test an ol GMC general with silver 8V92 . We did a lot to it. Clutch, brakes, exhaust. Resealed high/low piston and some other odds and ends. Took her out and had shifted 6 gears by the stop sign. I think it was only a hundred feet or so.:p. twin stacks with a shack in the back. That thing was loads of fun.

DMiller

Occupation
Cheap "old" Geezer
I worked on many old Detroit's that had outlived their assemblers where the engines still ran good enough the owners would just keep tightening the leaky spots, I earned my DD wings with black stained arms/clothes that would not come clean as the next one arrived before could get it scrubbed off. Driptroit is a colorful friendly way of remembering my early mechanic days, not as a offense just a moniker. Nothing is worse than cleaning Centrifugal oil filtration in a towboat with a angry tri-load of 149's! had to be done by hand with hands, IIICK!

funwithfuel

Occupation
Mechanic
sounds brutal, When my kids were born, the pediatrician looked at me and the wife. Looked at me again and said ,"aren't you gonna wash before handling the baby?" I was like, "this is it, You can dip these puppies in bleach, they ain't coming any cleaner, I could go wash in gas , is that alright?." All I wrenched on back then was DD and Mack , the occasional CAT and lots of Cummins NHT. Those days made me what I am , so , yeah.

DMiller

Occupation
Cheap "old" Geezer
In the tows, would cycle one engine off allow to cool SOME then go after service work, filtration was ALWAYS Last just before reloaded oil. A little water some mung from oil adds the smell was truly stomach churning and of course Black as a Coal mine with carbon that WILL NOT wash away. We tried ATF, Gas, Diesel, and gallons of GOOP, Citrus cleaners anything could find. Got married with black under my nails WOULD NOT scrub out, tis the life of a mechanic!!

Birken Vogt

Charter Member
I still get some customers who refuse to change their oil for thousands of hours. Now I handle that stuff like toxic waste because it stains like an old Detroit.

But the worst is carbon electrical brushes that have been used up. All that carbon dust goes around and covers absolutely everything in pure black.

In years gone by I bare-handed everything. Not any more. Now rubber gloves before I touch anything messy. Same with ear plugs. Won't even mow the grass without them.

RZucker

Occupation
Mechanic/welder
I worked on many old Detroit's that had outlived their assemblers where the engines still ran good enough the owners would just keep tightening the leaky spots, I earned my DD wings with black stained arms/clothes that would not come clean as the next one arrived before could get it scrubbed off. Driptroit is a colorful friendly way of remembering my early mechanic days, not as a offense just a moniker. Nothing is worse than cleaning Centrifugal oil filtration in a towboat with a angry tri-load of 149's! had to be done by hand with hands, IIICK!
Used to work on a bunch of Scanias with centrifuge oil filters, kept 2 extra shells on the shelf to do quick swaps, and clean them when the service work was done. Rubber gloves and a plastic scraper were the key tools.

RZucker

Occupation
Mechanic/welder
I remember when Mack was hanging those off everything in place of the third filter. Nastiest contraption ever for a service component.
I actually ran into one on a Cummins 290 in an old PIE tanker truck. A real "White Freightliner" from 1976. Not sure if it was full flow or the bypass. Wait, had to be the full flow, it did have a Lubrefiner filter too.

DMiller

Occupation
Cheap "old" Geezer
Centrifugal's on the boats were 16" diameter, almost 2 feet deep, three per engine where could stagger them on/off, as you removed the cartridge also had to remove the residual sludge from the housing. I really wanted to meet the Enganear that set those putrid bastards up or thought they were neat. Later units had conventional disposable filters none of this idiocy, but did save the old river rats some money in nothing to buy but lid seals. The old 149's ran for hundreds of hours on these monstrosities with no ill effects. I never had to overhaul one so do not know how well the inner parts survived.

RZucker

Occupation
Mechanic/welder
Centrifugal's on the boats were 16" diameter, almost 2 feet deep, three per engine where could stagger them on/off, as you removed the cartridge also had to remove the residual sludge from the housing. I really wanted to meet the Enganear that set those putrid bastards up or thought they were neat. Later units had conventional disposable filters none of this idiocy, but did save the old river rats some money in nothing to buy but lid seals. The old 149's ran for hundreds of hours on these monstrosities with no ill effects. I never had to overhaul one so do not know how well the inner parts survived.
So those could be shut off and cleaned while the engine was running? Worked on some big Cummins V16's that you could change out filters while they ran.
Worst oil change I ever did was on an old Alco locomotive with a 244 V12 engine, 205 gallons of oil and 12 (iirc) filters in a huge housing. local oil jobber arranged a vac truck to suck it all out, and sent a bulk oil truck to refill it when we were done, Of course it was special 40WT oil for locomotives.