• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

New service truck

shadow2

I am still working on this truck the cost is getting to me and just the size of a kw size truck.

Has anyone ever gotten a 550 aluminum body for the daily tools and put the equipment for major repairs on the trailer welding/ lube

I need to carry Mecanic tool excavation tool welding equipment and lube equipment an at least be somewhat mobile

Thanks joe

still learn'n

I have thought of doing that but I never know what I will need when I go to the job to work on one machine it seems like the operators will always have a half a dozen more things to work on but could always say I will do that tomorrow.

It probably won't ever happen but I would like to have a truck with a 20,000lb front axle and and maybe a 18' bed with drive axle close to the back to distribute the weight but not sure how that would come out.

shadow2

anyone have experience with the hino 258alp with the 260hp motor is that enough power for a truck that weight

how bout the new international mv series

Last edited:

DMiller

Occupation
Cheap "old" Geezer
Just scanned thru this, and came to the conclusion if you want to hear what you expect to hear don't ask questions. If the 450 is too small having Boat Owner twofootitis(previous disease I had) will not bear you any consolations, step off the line find a MAJOR league big enough will handle adding more to it service truck and just accept the beating for costs, will pay for itself over a few years where you are not beating a too light chassis to death and then trying to find a replacement twofootitis truck again in short order.

Jeckyl1920

Considering you will have to drive 55 in the slow lane regardless of trailer on a 450/550 vs CDL machine, I would say get a trailer for welder and repair type tools. I would keep daily tools and lube on the truck as you will sometimes not want to move a trailer around on a site just to lube some equipment.

Since you won't gain speed either way, you might as well go for comfort. Less steps into and out of the truck, comfy ride, comfy adjustable seats, and a smooth automatic trans would win me over vs a commercial truck with air suspension and brakes.

That's my 2 cents at least. Put the heavy crap on the trailer and balance it before you start traveling. A properly loaded trailer feels like it isn't there behind a truck.

Try highway products for the body. They will custom build whatever you want..... for a price. But you will save a lot on payload, and have a lifetime warranty.

Also, I would find a trailer with power landing gear. That way you can dump it on the side of the road easily if you dont need it for a stop.

AzIron

In my experience spend the money for a bigger truck you wont be against being overweight all the time you will get better stopping power for the weight and it can last at least 20 years if you take care of it

The trailers are ok but I always find it nice to have everything in the truck together

DMiller

Occupation
Cheap "old" Geezer
Are called Targets down here, or sacrificial anodes. Top a hill doing forty with 25 ton on the truck and there they are two or three abreast and ignoring any comers, Until they hear the Exhaust Brake and tires/brakes.

td25c

Last edited:

td25c

Are called Targets down here, or sacrificial anodes. Top a hill doing forty with 25 ton on the truck and there they are two or three abreast and ignoring any comers, Until they hear the Exhaust Brake and tires/brakes.

Detroit powered service rig might give them a little warning ahead of time .

LOL :D

DMiller

Occupation
Cheap "old" Geezer
That a Gull Wing 9500? Old 8V sounds SMMMOOTH!

The old Cat I run has straight stacks, I use a ear plug in left ear trying to save what I can, exhaust brake rattles Harsh when in full tilt!!

td25c

It's hopped up with some kind of under the hood supercharger ?

Muffler still in place to keep the " stealth sound advantage " .:)

Yank the gear shift like your in a Chevelle . :D

RZucker

Occupation
Mechanic/welder
That is my thoughts on the bicyclists that love to ride 3 wide in the lane and block traffic.:rolleyes:
Had three of those idiots in the road ahead of me this morning... In the dark. One had a wimpy flashing tail light, all three were to stupid to be wearing light colored clothing. Lucky for their dumbazzes I can see well again.

RZucker

Occupation
Mechanic/welder
That a Gull Wing 9500? Old 8V sounds SMMMOOTH!

The old Cat I run has straight stacks, I use a ear plug in left ear trying to save what I can, exhaust brake rattles Harsh when in full tilt!!
I had a Peterbilt with a pumped 335 running straights that would really rattle the cab with the Jakes on. Had to tighten the headliner screws weekly. :D

funwithfuel

Occupation
Mechanic
And they sounded meaner and angrier than anything while running through puny little 3.25/3.5" pipes.
Kids nowadays, everything gotta run through exhaust the size of a garbage can. Phooey

RZucker

Occupation
Mechanic/welder
And they sounded meaner and angrier than anything while running through puny little 3.25/3.5" pipes.
Kids nowadays, everything gotta run through exhaust the size of a garbage can. Phooey
I had an old IH Loadstar crane truck with a 6V53 that sounded like an angry wasp on the road. Replaced it with a Paystar 6X6 with a 6-71 inline that wasn't much faster or less noisy but got around offroad better and had 2 tons more crane.

RZucker

Occupation
Mechanic/welder
I love an old driptroit at full song. Thanks
Please, don't call them "Driptroits". If they have been assembled properly they do not leak. if they leak from the gaskets, that's because they have been running longer than you have been alive in most cases. usually the only "leaks" on a Detroit are the air box drains. They will leak a bit of oil that gets past the oil rings if the owner is running 15/40 oil.
Personally I'm sick of the attacks on Detroits, I have built about 100 in the last 30 years with zero leaks. Most of this Driptroit crap is just that. Yes I have seen gasket leaks because some Neanderthal over torqued pan gaskets or rocker covers.