• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

new ride

Natman

Operating near two major interstates and near state borders like I do, the Port of Entry is a major deal, or can be if I'm not up on my game. Thus my questions about the weight thing, count your blessings! As in being told once my mud flaps were 2" too high and I'd better fix them before crossing through again. I did, and about 3 days later tore one off while backing up a hill. They give us local guys absolutely no slack at all.

Sounds like you're going through what I did with your new rig when I changed over from the stone age 22101S to the National 1300. The winch thumper is for sure great, besides everything else just being easier to operate smoother. A couple days ago I had a guy in the manbasket 105' up, and when asked to swing about 1' left, I didn't even have to tell him to hang on. Good smooth controls sure make us look good.

Tradesman

Occupation
Contractor
I changed out the new tank for a new one on this septic truck this morning, a new customer, I unloaded the tank off a trailer for him a month ago.
F86823A8-4C11-469F-B8D9-BA7C17D9AE7B.jpeg 23D61C6C-C692-4539-9F24-82EBF8B453A8.jpeg

crane operator

Unless you want to loose all that chrome on the front bumper, you better invest in a roundup. Those steel chokers are going to sit there and vibrate and scratch that pretty truck all up.

Looks nice though, like that air ride?

Tradesman

Occupation
Contractor
Unless you want to loose all that chrome on the front bumper, you better invest in a roundup. Those steel chokers are going to sit there and vibrate and scratch that pretty truck all up.

Looks nice though, like that air ride?
Yep they’re outa here I don’t really have anything short enough to replace it yet

crane operator

if you had a green 6'-8' you could run from one lug through to the other, then put both outer ends on the hook. No shackles, no steel on chrome.

crane operator

One other question. Do you have to disconnect the ball on the bumper and boom up out of the way to check the oil? Western Star makes a hood that instead of a front flip is a side panel like wing doors. I always wonder why they didn't use those on cranes instead of front flip hoods. Probably more expensive. I do like your really short hood though, I bet visibility is great.

Western star 6900HeavyHaul.jpg

Tugger2

I put a 4" belt winder on with an anchor hook for the belt d ring on my front bumper.It saves that extra trip from the cab if no ones around to hook you up.

Tradesman

Occupation
Contractor
I put a 4" belt winder on with an anchor hook for the belt d ring on my front bumper.It saves that extra trip from the cab if no ones around to hook you up.
I've been trying to come with something like that but the couple ideas I've come up with would look pretty bad and for now I'd like it to be purdy
If your near it could you post a picture sometime.
Thanks

Birken Vogt

Charter Member
Are your rear tandems over 34 K lbs.? I go across the scales at the port of entry at 34,300 lbs normally, this subjects me to fines and/or paying 16 cents a mile and that adds up quick. If I leave my rear rack pads/dunnage in the shop, and run the boom out 3' or so, I go across at 33,800. Only since I installed the 1400 lb. counterweight has it been this tight, just wondering how that 30112S weighs in.

I don't think they have the 34,000 rule in the Land of Moose and Beaver.

Kiwi-truckwit

I've been trying to come with something like that but the couple ideas I've come up with would look pretty bad and for now I'd like it to be purdy
If your near it could you post a picture sometime.
Thanks
Our mobiles have that setup. They have a single towing point in the middle of the bumper, so have the winch mounted on a bit of 3in wide plate, with a hole in the end for the tow pin.

Tradesman

Occupation
Contractor
Problem solved, I couldn't get any roundies locally. I think this should be a good answer it can be hooked up with one hand and when you drop it it doesn't hit the chrome or the ground. I call that a win.
I'm also getting my Canadian flag painted on, we people in the land of moose and beavers are a proud bunch.What was that saying about California??? Oh I remember the land of Fruits & Nuts
IMG_2693.JPG IMG_2694.JPG

Natman

It took me going through 2 or 3 Crane Smart ATB switches on my Manitex 101S, before realizing I needed to make sure the headache ball while in transit better be high enough to preclude the ATB line weight from shock loading the switch with every bump in the road! This is probably common knowledge but I had to figure it out on my own.

Natman

My National came set up with a 2" strap winch on the front, so when pulling up to a job the first thing I do is uncrank the winch (using a large wrench that I then hang on a hook off the front stabilizer) and unhook the ball. Then the last thing I do on tear down, after pulling in the outriggers, is jump back in the cab and winch up until I hit the ATB buzzer, then I hold the defeat button and winch up a few more inches (remaining well short of the dead head point on the boom sheave), to get the ATB switch unloaded by it's weight, then I secure the cab and then crank the winch tight. The only problem with this setup, is when some one, trying to be helpful, hooks me up while I am distracted putting the outriggers and pads away, and THEN I winch up that last little bit, and bust my 2" strap! I need to make up a placard (in both English and Spanish) on the front stab, saying NOT to hook me up.

crane operator

How did it go pinning it on? Most guys I know with one, pick it up and set it on the ground 35' away or so, then scope the boom out into it. It makes a big difference how far your rig booms down. And how level the basket is sitting on the ground. Are there test weights with the basket? or do you not have to do that, like you do with a hanging basket?

Natman

No test weights with that type, a buddy with one tells me. Less weight to haul down the road, that's nice. Most of the grainmill work I do requires a cable hung one to access/drop through the spider web of stuff in the way. I have had customers wanting me to get a boom tip type, thinking they'd be swinging around too much, but after using the cable hung one they found it didn't as much as they feared. the trick is to use as little line out as possible, almost two blocked. I do have a one man tip type, home made by me, copied off a Guffire Bros. one, but I only use it for my personal use, not on jobs, ain't certified.

Tradesman

Occupation
Contractor
How did it go pinning it on? Most guys I know with one, pick it up and set it on the ground 35' away or so, then scope the boom out into it. It makes a big difference how far your rig booms down. And how level the basket is sitting on the ground. Are there test weights with the basket? or do you not have to do that, like you do with a hanging basket?
Pinned not too bad, I had to scope out 46 ft. We're not allowed to use a hanging basket without submitting a plan to the ministry of labour and explain why it is safer than any other method, and for that we would need test weight. It worked really well, my client liked it better than the man lift and it was a whole lot cheaper I charged them $500 and they usually pay around $2,000 with trucking for a large man lift. “WIN” I have another on for them on Saturday.

Natman

I'd like to have both, what you have and my cable hung.......