• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

New CAT D6

Oxbow

pafarmer, rebuilding an older machine seems like a good option to me (if the price is right). Wondering what series your current 6's are, how long did you run them, and how many hours do they have. Downtime becomes a big deal when you have several employees and and can be a major factor when deciding whether or not to upgrade equipment.

And downtime caused by new technology (tier IV) only exacerbates the problem.

On that note PAFarmer, there will be no mandatory emission upgrades on the CCR, correct?

pafarmer

Occupation
Land clearing, demo, site prep etc. Ex Pro Motocro
And downtime caused by new technology (tier IV) only exacerbates the problem.

On that note PAFarmer, there will be no mandatory emission upgrades on the CCR, correct?

Both of my current tractors are 2004 D6R's....50K plus hours each. Hard hours in the woods of the Eastern USA....many winters, thick heavy mud and constant abuse. We run both of these tractors over 4 K hours annually...neither machine needs to be brought up to anything past it's original equipment in terms of emissions unless I choose to bring them past what they were originally. Obviously, I do not want that because of the added cost of doing so and other obvious reasons. Both machines would more than likely go another 10 K or more with little trouble but experience has taught me to not wait until any piece of equipment is nickel and dimming me to death. I simply can't afford any downtime so I find it prudent to replace it, rebuild it or get rid of it way before any of those scenario's present themselves. Our contracts are set up in such a way that if I am not done when I say I am going to be I pay a penalty or we are on progress payments that dictate bonuses for being on time or ahead of where I say I'll be...in other words I can't afford not to rebuild, buy new or otherwise if you are following my explanation of my business and how it runs....I don't fall in love with my tractors, they are simply a means to an end. I do what is best to keep paycheck coming in to my men on a consistent basis, If it means spending money on equipment than that's what I need to do before it's down and there is no plan in place of a long wait time for something to get repaired....off to the woods for a few hours now...

Nige

G..G..G..Granville.........!! Fetch your cloth.
It's also worth pointing out (if I understand the calculations correctly) that for the price of 2 new tractors you're going to get 3; two rebuilds that ought to be just as good as they were when they were new, plus a new one. That has to be quite attractive relatively speaking .......

Shimmy1

Both of my current tractors are 2004 D6R's....50K plus hours each.

How many engines and undercarriage replacements have these tractors had? Just curious, according to your dealer claiming they are 2K away from rebuild, are they averaging 16-17K hours, and they're ready for number 4? If so, those tractors have probably earned a Mother Cat Spa treatment. :)

pafarmer

Occupation
It's also worth pointing out (if I understand the calculations correctly) that for the price of 2 new tractors you're going to get 3; two rebuilds that ought to be just as good as they were when they were new, plus a new one. That has to be quite attractive relatively speaking .......
Yes Nige, it's a pretty good deal for me for sure... These tractors are the backbone of the operation. Wish I could afford three more on top of these three. The work is here for them that for sure....it's always a fine line for me to grow bigger again.. I once had a very large operation but scaled back quite a bit in the recent past because all I did was work and chase business. and one day I found out someone needed me more than I could have ever imagined. also as I grow older and wiser I slowed down and choose to life a little and spend time with my family while I still could and am much happier and healthier for it..

pafarmer

Occupation
What I am looking forward to the most from the CCR process is the upgraded seat. I stand 6'4" and weigh in at 265. The old base mechanical seat was quite wore and the machine would beat us to death in a days time. I upgraded the seating in both machines. Can anyone comment on the air suspension seat ? I asked for the best seat they had and that money can buy to be installed in both machines and assume it the heated and air suspension. My CAT CTL's have heated , air suspension seats in them and I can't say it enough that they are by far the best seat I have ever had the opportunity to use in a peice of equipment. I tried looking up aftermarket construction equipment seating but really didn't find anything earth scattering out there on the market today....All inputs welcome....

Nige

G..G..G..Granville.........!! Fetch your cloth.
Ask the dealer what Part Number of seat they are installing. I can soon tell you whether it has heat or not. TBH I'm not sure that TTT seats have heat unless there are some upgrades that have taken place over the past year or so that I'm not aware of.

Desertwheeler

Occupation
Miner
Our new d10t and 8t seats are very comfy and they are the air seats that came in the machines new.

oarwhat

If they're not heated take them to your local auto alarm/ car starter/ accessory dealer. They install them all the time.

pafarmer

Occupation
Confirmed today that air suspension seating is what's going to be installed in both tractors. No heat in the seat however both machines are full cab tractors so a heated seat isn't really needed. Looking forward to the air suspension....big plus from the original equipment seat we have been using for the last 12 years or so...

pafarmer

Occupation
I'm sorry Nige but I have nothing much to report on. I have not heard from anyone nor have I bothered to check in on progress. I will be down at the shop where the work is being performed the Friday after next and will have a full report at that time..

ILLICEMAN

Occupation
FARMER ex CHEVY DEALER
Well I just bought a 2015 D6K2 LT w/cab. I am trading my JD750C II.It has been a great machine with no problems.I got the Cat w/only 250 hrs on it.I did purchase the extended power train warranty.Looking here for guys that have run one and see how they like it.
This is not my first Cat dozer.

bam1968

Occupation
Excavating Contractor
Any updates yet pafarmer??? Just curious how things are coming along.

ILLICEMAN

Occupation
FARMER ex CHEVY DEALER
Will had my D6K-2 for a wile now.In 50 hrs it has run very good.While my 750 was a great machine this one is 12 years newer and of course a big improvement.The seat no doubt is tons better.The total machine in the cab is very quiet but does let you here the hydro over the engine.Observing the blade is a little better .The 6 way as well as the speed control is a step up.
The radio is great when it gets the station.Not sure if they sent a needed antenna as the still need to send operators manual.
No problem with teir 4 yet.This is my second teir-4 engine and have not had any problems.
Thanks

ih100

I've put several hundred hours on D6K's, the both had system one tracks. The first one was on 30" pads, the second on 20" pads. The wide pads took the bushes out in under 1000 hrs, and had actually popped them out of the chains, while the rollers and sprockets had hardly worn.

The second machine has completely taken out the rollers while the idler, sprocket and rails are barely worn. On the newer machine, the rollers are much smaller diameter and shimmed 1/2" down from the frame to make it up. Also the roller material seems much softer on the smaller rollers. From what I've seen on several machines, I'd never match S1 with wide pads, the bushes can't stand being twisted.

Last edited:

bam1968

Occupation
Excavating Contractor
Any updates yet? Don't leave us all hanging hear PAfarmer. This thread has the potential to include a lot of great invaluable information that this forum is known for. Just my $.02

pafarmer

Occupation
I ended up trading in both machines on Two brand new D6 tractors.....I can tell you the rebuild process by CAT is nothing short of amazing in both time and quality....anyone considering this route should not hesitate....