• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

NEW Cat 150 AWD

ovrszd

Occupation
Retired Army
Well they took my 150 AWD today to get the new plow and wing gear put on at Craig, got the fall grade all finished up on all my roads, so time to start preparing for the winter season, I will start on my chains tomorrow, my tires on the 150 are much wider than the 140H tires so some changes will be made, Winter is coming Guy's.

Did you change tire size or just brand?

We used to run 14s. Went to 17.5s several years ago. Required buying new chains. We donated our old chains to a neighboring township that couldn't afford to buy new chains.

20/80

Occupation
operator
Did you change tire size or just brand?

We used to run 14s. Went to 17.5s several years ago. Required buying new chains. We donated our old chains to a neighboring township that couldn't afford to buy new chains.
The factory tires on the new 150 AWD are wider then the tires my 140H has on it, about 4" wider, the cross chains will have to be longer to fit the tir

ovrszd

Occupation
Retired Army
The factory tires on the new 150 AWD are wider then the tires my 140H has on it, about 4" wider, the cross chains will have to be longer to fit the tir

Yep. So you have went from 14s to 17.5s. You can buy all new chains cheaper than buying crossbars and trying to rebuild what you have. I prefer Peerless brand.

20/80

Occupation
operator
We have all the chain gear to build our own custom chains at our shop, ladder type, probably cheaper to buy a set though, I usually make up 6 chains and use those spider bungee's to keep them tight, two per wheel works the best.

ovrszd

Occupation
Retired Army
We have all the chain gear to build our own custom chains at our shop, ladder type, probably cheaper to buy a set though, I usually make up 6 chains and use those spider bungee's to keep them tight, two per wheel works the best.

I've never used bungeees. I don't understand the concept. Put the chains on properly and nothing is needed. No bungee is going to hold a chain tight against the tire that's not installed correctly. Might take up the slack at crawl speed. But the slack shouldn't be there in the first place. Everyone has a different concept. Do what works for you. Properly installed chains will never "crawl" on the tire. And never need anything additional to hold them.

Welder Dave

People were recommending putting bungee's on tractor tire chains but all they did is pull the chains tight which caused them go down into the lugs on the tires which defeated the purpose of the chains. They work much better when they can flop slightly and self clean if they get packed with snow or mud. I basically put them as tight as I can manually and they work the best. One guy even suggested I had the wrong type of chains but had the Duo-Grip for ag tractors the same as his. Grader tires are even better for chains as the lugs are wider and much harder for the chains to get stuck down in between the lugs. Winter tires shouldn't have any problems if they're tight. Same with truck tires but you see lots of them with bungee's too.

ovrszd

Occupation
Retired Army
People were recommending putting bungee's on tractor tire chains but all they did is pull the chains tight which caused them go down into the lugs on the tires which defeated the purpose of the chains. They work much better when they can flop slightly and self clean if they get packed with snow or mud. I basically put them as tight as I can manually and they work the best. One guy even suggested I had the wrong type of chains but had the Duo-Grip for ag tractors the same as his. Grader tires are even better for chains as the lugs are wider and much harder for the chains to get stuck down in between the lugs. Winter tires shouldn't have any problems if they're tight. Same with truck tires but you see lots of them with bungee's too.

Very well stated.

I don't running any type of tightener. I run 2 link crossbar chains. If running 10+ mph I like to see the crossbars raise an inch or two above the tire. I've never lost a chain so that argument doesn't hold water to use tighteners either.

I ran Michelin radials for years. They were bad about allowing the chain crossbars to go into the lug gaps. I'm currently running Bridgestone radials. They are much better about not doing that.

With that said, I still prefer Michelin tires.

Here's an example of the crossbars in the tire lug gap on Michelin tires.

DSC00373.JPG

Reactions: DB2

20/80

Occupation
operator
The ladder type we use are famous for lifting the cross chain a couple of inches of the tire even when put on as tight as you can get them, chains will move on your tire till they get settled in than you can retighten, with our chain settup if the cross link is lifting off the tire then that cross link is being drug under your tire causing it to twist then eventually break, worst if you spin your tires with chains in a bad situation, the spider bungee's keep our chains tight and prevent the raising and twisting of the cross chain preventing a break, also you can travel faster down the road without hurting or your chains flying to pieces, if you notice some of your cross chains twisted when you take your chains off that's a sign that there to loose and being dragged under the tire.

20/80

Occupation
operator
That looks like some pretty serious snow.
Ovrszd we run a 4 link chain settup, I noticed on your tires that your cross links run on a angle across your tires, are they made to run that way or did they just twist on you? thanks for the pics.

ovrszd

Occupation
Retired Army
The ladder type we use are famous for lifting the cross chain a couple of inches of the tire even when put on as tight as you can get them, chains will move on your tire till they get settled in than you can retighten, with our chain settup if the cross link is lifting off the tire then that cross link is being drug under your tire causing it to twist then eventually break, worst if you spin your tires with chains in a bad situation, the spider bungee's keep our chains tight and prevent the raising and twisting of the cross chain preventing a break, also you can travel faster down the road without hurting or your chains flying to pieces, if you notice some of your cross chains twisted when you take your chains off that's a sign that there to loose and being dragged under the tire.

Only time I ever broke cross chains were when I was trying to get that last little bit out of them and wearing them too thin. We use Peerless "heavy duty" chains. Haven't broke a cross chain in 15 years or more. Definitely not since we went to 17.5s and heavy duty chains.

A bungee isn't capable of keeping a cross chain from twisting if that's a problem. But then I don't exactly know what a "spider bungee" is. Do you have a picture?

ovrszd

Occupation
Retired Army
Dave, when all else fails Google it. You are right. Here's a pic of a spider bungee for semi tires.

178875.jpg

20/80

Occupation
operator
Dave, when all else fails Google it. You are right. Here's a pic of a spider bungee for semi tires.

View attachment 247775
Yep that's them, we use 2 per tire, we use the bottom of the barrel type for our chains, using the heavy duty type chains are not a option for me, just the lowest quality chain, would love to have heavy duty chains like yours. thanks

ovrszd

Occupation
Retired Army
Yep that's them, we use 2 per tire, we use the bottom of the barrel type for our chains, using the heavy duty type chains are not a option for me, just the lowest quality chain, would love to have heavy duty chains like yours. thanks

I totally understand budget constraints. Sounds like your gonna have to buy new chains. Check on the price difference, 2 link versus 4 link, heavy duty versus standard.

When we changed from 14s to 17.5s we had a very, very good salesman. When we were setting up the machine and I said we wanted 17.5s he immediately said "you understand you are going to have to buy new chains?" Good salesman. Wish we still had him.

20/80

Occupation
operator
I totally understand budget constraints. Sounds like your gonna have to buy new chains. Check on the price difference, 2 link versus 4 link, heavy duty versus standard.

When we changed from 14s to 17.5s we had a very, very good salesman. When we were setting up the machine and I said we wanted 17.5s he immediately said "you understand you are going to have to buy new chains?" Good salesman. Wish we still had him.
We just buy the supplies in bulk, the operators are expected to make and put together your own chains for their machine and keep them in good repair, I don't mind doing it at all.

ovrszd

Occupation
Retired Army
We just buy the supplies in bulk, the operators are expected to make and put together your own chains for their machine and keep them in good repair, I don't mind doing it at all.

I'm a one man show so I understand. Although the Township doesn't wear out enough chains to use the bulk build method. The chains I'll run this Winter are 6-8 years old, can't remember for sure. They are 50%. So I'll get a couple more Winters out of them. Have four new chains on standby.

If you are running 4 link you might try to convince the boss to let you build a set of 2 link. More than doubles the traction. Minimizes slippage.

When I need chains it's because I'm pushing the plow thru 6-8ft high drifts and using a wing.

DSC00378.JPG

DSC00475.JPG

20/80

Occupation
operator
Those are some great pictures and a great job cleaning up, I love the V plow and wing for opening up drifted in roads, in our area if it calls for the V plow to be put on its serious mega snow and is going to be a fun long day, we used to use square cross link hard chain or ice chains some called them back in the day, man did they stick to the ice good, they don't use them anymore of course to pricey, in one of your pics of a drifted in road, years ago we would plow the fields on each side of the road to keep the main road from filling in, it works great.

Cat 140M AWD

Occupation
Motor grader operator
I'm a one man show so I understand. Although the Township doesn't wear out enough chains to use the bulk build method. The chains I'll run this Winter are 6-8 years old, can't remember for sure. They are 50%. So I'll get a couple more Winters out of them. Have four new chains on standby.

If you are running 4 link you might try to convince the boss to let you build a set

That’s some deep snow there either it was warm and sticky snow or your v plow doesn’t scoure very good my township got a new balderson v plow when they got there new machine in 16 well worth the money for a new v plow. As far as chains go I run the regular bar style chains but I honestly haven’t needed to chain up in the last 10 years with the Michelin snow plus tires and 6 wheel drive makes a big difference.

Last edited: