• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

New Case SV340 Tier 4 Final

dave esterns

stumpywally what ever happened to you getting a jcb skid steer? i see they have a series 3 unit now that has some nice upgrades. i am hoping to get back into a jcb skid steer as soon as possible. once you have one its impossible to go back to a conventional skid steer. I think they probably have the bugs out of them by now. i would recommend the large frame unit, because the arm is much tougher. although a wheeled loader would probably be a lot nicer than a skid steer if you can make it work.

i was looking at a case skid steer the other day. I'm a bit confused by the goofy front door. and the excessively crude electric joystick setup. i could overlook that. but i cannot overlook the excessive joystick effort. it would be less work to run the mechanical controls. the bobcat joysticks are the same way. excessive joystick effort. i got rid of the rubber boots on them and that made them work easier (i'm assuming at the cost of an early demise of the joysticks). but the low effort, short throw joystick is one of the main reasons i would go back to the jcb. and the nice joystick arm rest. and excessively nice ergonomics all around. and side entry. and ridiculous visibility etc.

i do not understand the high effort of the case and the bobcat. the cat and deere are not as bad. but the old school taks, and cats, the ones who started it all, are no effort joysticks. no effort whatsoever. now that is what i am talking about! that is a unit i could drive around all day. i would develop massive wrist/hand problems with the high effort joysticks.

StumpyWally

Liv'in the Dream ---------------> in Ballston, NY
Occupation
PE Civil Eng'r, Computer Sys. Mgr., Retired
stumpywally what ever happened to you getting a jcb skid steer? i see they have a series 3 unit now that has some nice upgrades. i am hoping to get back into a jcb skid steer as soon as possible. once you have one its impossible to go back to a conventional skid steer. I think they probably have the bugs out of them by now. i would recommend the large frame unit, because the arm is much tougher. although a wheeled loader would probably be a lot nicer than a skid steer if you can make it work.

Dave...I haven't given up the idea of a JCB skid steer, just for the pleasure & ease of entry/exit of the cab. But wet ground is a problem....wheeled unit doesn't allow OTT because of side door, & tracked unit is REALLY heavy, over 10,000 lbs...& the problem with either of them (along with most other skid steers) is the very small ground clearance (8" to 10").

So, I have been thinking about a compact wheel loader instead. Side entry, great cab, & usually much more ground clearance, although would probably have to put wide, flotation tires on it...& then probably chains in the winter. I've started to compare specs between brands/models, but no clear winners yet. Got any recommendations??