• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

New Case SV340 Tier 4 Final

Georgia Iron

Occupation
Concrete building slab and grading contractor
Hey Guys,

Yesterday I went and ordered my first new skid steer. Actually it is my first new piece of earth moving equipment. I have always bought used. I have been looking for a replacement for my beloved Case 440 series 3 machine for a few weeks. I attempted to get a Case SV300 like I wanted but it seems my old school mechanical controls are not being ordered much anymore in the H pattern.

The SV300 is being phased out. Now its the 280 or the 340. So I have been lifting logs a lot and I decided to go ahead and get the heavier machine.

If you are wondering why I am replacing the Case 440, it is due to a number of reasons. 1. Repairs were going to be needed soon. In the whole time I owned it , the 440 only once broke down with a broken hydraulic hose. But several hoses were about to rub through. It also was just aging. The work I have been doing lately is about all a skid steer can handle. So it was starting to take a toll on the machine. A couple of metal lines sit on the bottom under the engine and they rot over time. The machine was more or less getting ready to need some major R and R, which I do myself and I don't have time to do it now due to work load. 2. The trade in allowance for it was very fair, more or less what it cost me, minus the AC system. 3. I wanted a tighter cab since mine was still letting in some dust. So you figure the repair cost plus trade in allowance and difference between that number and the new cost plus higher value of a machine that will be 8 years newer with 1250 hrs less on it.. Plus a 3 yr warranty on the major parts Made it seem like it was the only smart choice I had.

I have been going back in forth between the Kubota SSV75 and the case sv300. Kubota offered me a very nice deal on a fully loaded hi flow machine with pilot controls and cab and a very fair trade in allowance for the 440. I went and tested the machine and it was nice. In the end I could not see going back to a 75 hp machine when I have been using the 90 hp 440. The entire time I owned the 440 I never once killed the motor due to overloading while operating it. So 90 HP is what I wanted.

I glanced at CAT but they did not seem to like to trade on other brands and they have put just as much electronic crap that they can get china to make inside the machine so you are sure to come back often... HENCE electro hydraulic controls... I believe a steel control rod is better than a small copper wire that is made most likely with some thing less desirable than copper and 1/2 as thin as it should be so you cant even solder on to it. Which to be honest is about how all of them do it on wiring. Dont fix it replace it...

The SV340 is a tier 4 machine that uses DEF and it does not use a DPF muffler and fuel to burn off exhaust. Which is a complete scam if you ask me. Lets waste fuel to burn off some emissions. Makes you wonder if in the long run it is worse for pollution since it burns MORE fuel. But not to get off track. In a few instances I have worked in close quarters with the machine on the outside or inside a building. The exhaust will quickly get to you. So in this case the DEF machine should be better for our health.

Here is the list of what I knew I had to have on my new machine -

Hi Flow
Cab / AC
Hydraulic Coupler
Mechanical joystick controls
At least 90 HP
Wheels

A simple strong machine with a nice sealed Cab for improved health along with a coupler to speed up my work. I did not buy it based on the ROC of 3400 lbs which is cool. I really was looking for a quality machine in the 8000 pound weight range since I run 14k trailers and the machine, trailer weight and attachments add up fast on the weight. This brute weighs 9100 lbs. so it will be a chore to carry it, a grapple, an auger, possibly a rock hound... maybe i will need a 3 axle trailer now.. anyway

I am nervous about my choice. It was hard parting with the 440... I have not seen anything like it since I have owned it. The lift arms and linkages where super strong, never bent them or broke a pin. I was always carrying very heavy logs and stumps.. The last job I was on we were loading dumpsters. We had a cat 262c on site. I could load a dumpster twice as fast with my case. So I know how good the 440 really was. It was light in the rear end but it could work and respond quickly to your control inputs.

The new machine is heavier with the same power so I hope that it does not slow me down on my work. I am also worried about the DEF system and how long it will last till it starts acting up. And I am nervous to see all the computerized engine controls in the belly. And the new machine does not even have a key. I could not even order it with a key. Push button start. Dammit man.

Actually I was looking in the belly of a 300 because I did not even get to see the 340 yet.. I noticed the engine has changed to a FPT F5B FL413 E*B002 i wonder what the difference between that and the FPT F5H FL413 E*B002 is which is what is in the sv300.

Case says I should get 10% better fuel usage with the tier 4 motor vs the Model type 445T/MMC Engine model F4GE9454C*J which was a tier 3 in the 440..

So what do you guys think... I have seen mixed stories about the new case and new holland machines on here...

Last edited:

JS300

Occupation
Power Plant and Cattle
Wow if you changed to a Case 450 we are nearly in the same boat. Kubota is sending out a SVL75-2 today for me to try. I like the Kubota because of the minimal electronics in the cab. I feel like the tracks are going to slow me down on some task and help out on others. I think it's going to be hard to beat my old Case it's a tough machine that's easy to work on. I really want another Case but they only make the vertical lift in the TV380 which cost more than I want to spend and the closet dealers are 100 miles away. I did sit in a New Holland tire machine and it was nice for the money. If I don't like the tracks it's next on the list.

KSSS

Occupation
excavation
I bought a new TR340 this year. I have 400 hours on it and zero problems with DEF or anything else. I am also planning on trading off my SV300 for an SV340. I demoed one for a couple days, I really liked the controls, they really have the EH dialed in, 9K pounds of bucket breakout, they are super strong. I have really liked my SV300, 1200 hours, zero trips to the dealer with the exceptions of an AC line repair.

KSSS

Occupation
excavation
70XT with that low hours is certainly a find. The only thing that would have made that machine better was two speed.

KSSS

Occupation
excavation
Georgia, don't know if your getting yours with the 14X17.5 tires but they are well worth it. I love those tires, you can actually extract the power and capacity out of the machine. I have them on my 300 and will put them on the SV340 which the dealer ordered with the 12X16.5's.

Georgia Iron

Occupation
Georgia, don't know if your getting yours with the 14X17.5 tires but they are well worth it. I love those tires, you can actually extract the power and capacity out of the machine. I have them on my 300 and will put them on the SV340 which the dealer ordered with the 12X16.5's.

I ordered the 16's because they are cheap and easy to find. Normally I only get about 200 hours out of a set before I am wanting some new ones. Maybe I should reconsider. In your post it seems that you also ordered a machine? If so when do you expect to get it and what options did you get. I was told I should get an October slot for the build.. I have not heard anything yet...

KSSS

Occupation
excavation
The machine was stock ordered a month ago and is sitting at the dealer. It is fully loaded minus Enhanced high flow. The large tires will absolutely last at least three times as long. The biggest reason using them is how much more capable the machine is. Greater floatation, greater lift height, more ground clearance.

JS300

Occupation
Power Plant and Cattle
I tried the SVL75-2 out for about an hour yesterday. First impression is that it’s a very nice machine with allot of power. It’s was pretty slick out yesterday (go figure first rain in a month on demo day) but the tracks worked better than expected. The only thing I’m not sure about are the controls. Going from H to ISO isn’t easy but I can get past that with a little time. My deal is that the controls don’t seem smooth like my old Case. I had to really be careful not to jerk it around too much and it feels like there is a spot about mid stick going forward that you jump from 2 mph-3mph. That’s probably exaggerated but that’s how it felt. I tried several attachments and they all performed better on the Kubota than the Case. I’m gonna try to run it 4-5 hours today to get a better feel. I definitely like how quite it is in the cab also.

KSSS

Occupation
excavation
going from servo to pilots, the controls will seem a little jerky on the pilot machine, you get used to it. The attachments should not run better assuming your talking hyd. performance, since your 450 makes more flow than does the 75.

JS300

Occupation
Power Plant and Cattle
I was worried about the flow too KSS but even the rotary cutter seemed to run smoother and quiter. I should have said the attachments worked better because of how the aux rocker switch works. The 450 is like my tractor front remotes either on or off On the SVL75 I can feather them with the rocker switch better.

I ran it several more hours today but am still undecided. The tracks are a definate advantage for ranch work.

Muffler Bearing

Occupation
Truck Mechanic
Speaking from a CASE dealership here, after hours of training on the aftertreatment, I came to understand that the displacement is small enough, and the burn is clean enough that we are no longer chasing particulant matter, just the NOX, hence, just SCR/DEF. One thing I can say for sure about our skidsteers is the belly fills with silt, and if you don't wash it out the vibration cracks the oil pan at the remote drain fitting, I just counted six cracked oil pans on our warranty shelf, and we only need to save stuff for 4 months. not sure if logging will have the same effect. Aside from that I think you'll really like your new machine, at least as a mechanic I don't hate them.:)

Birken Vogt

Charter Member
What engines are they using?

I have a short list of smaller engines that are using ECM and injectors, turbocharging, EGR and catalysts that have no particulate traps and no urea/NOX system.

Others in the same size class have the whole kit and caboodle of urea and DPF on them.

I am slowly trying to build a list of the "good" engines for future reference.

KSSS

Occupation
excavation
Speaking from a CASE dealership here, after hours of training on the aftertreatment, I came to understand that the displacement is small enough, and the burn is clean enough that we are no longer chasing particulant matter, just the NOX, hence, just SCR/DEF. One thing I can say for sure about our skidsteers is the belly fills with silt, and if you don't wash it out the vibration cracks the oil pan at the remote drain fitting, I just counted six cracked oil pans on our warranty shelf, and we only need to save stuff for 4 months. not sure if logging will have the same effect. Aside from that I think you'll really like your new machine, at least as a mechanic I don't hate them.:)

I lost an oil pan in a 2012 Tr320. After that I pulled the remote drain and went back to a plug on the pan. no more issues with dirt building up and causing issues with the remote drain cracking the pan. It took too long to drain with the remote any way.

Muffler Bearing

Occupation
Truck Mechanic
Yeah, that's the best move. I just kind of follow CASE policy which is to put it back with the remote drain most of the time, yet some machines qualify for an update, which is sort of a quick coupler to a short drain line ( just a complicated version of a plug). And we always remove the remote oil filter and put the filter back on the engine.

Birken, I'll work on that list

JS300

Occupation
Power Plant and Cattle
Georgia Iron...can you give us an update on this once you get the SV340. I am really interested in how you like it compared to the 440. My new Kubota SVL 75-2 was delivered this week and so far so good but there are still a few things I like better about my 450.

Georgia Iron

Occupation
Georgia Iron...can you give us an update on this once you get the SV340. I am really interested in how you like it compared to the 440. My new Kubota SVL 75-2 was delivered this week and so far so good but there are still a few things I like better about my 450.

They have pushed my build date to November, so i will be looking at early December if I am lucky at this point.

Georgia Iron

Occupation

Thanks for taking the time to comment about that. I will consider removing the hose once I get to look it over.