• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

New Case 580 Super E project!

sporklift

New hard lines; painting (again!)

I have to admit the hard lines were less expensive than I imagined - about $100 for two hard lines and the needed fittings. I think one of the fittings is 304 stainless because the body is not magnetic, but the threads are. If it were 316, the cold working wouldn't have made the threads magnetic.

I'm happy I'm following ATCO's advice - I feel better already knowing I'm not risking rust chunks circulating back to the pump. But the downside to hard lines - I have to paint them... and wait for the paint to dry. The way I'm doing it now, I have to apply thin coats (primer, then paint) and leave it to cure under heat lamps in my garage which is hovering around 45F lately. So it's taken 2 more days to let the paint cure properly.

hard lines short unpainted.jpg
hard lines primer drying.jpg
new hard lines.jpg

sporklift

System Flush

Today should be the day I put the new hard lines back on the machine and fire it up!

Before I do, maybe you guys can help me ponder the best way to flush the old hydraulic fluid (which had water in it). I would simply follow the procedure outlined on this forum where I raise both the loader and backhoe, then detach and cap the filter, and drain the system in stages.

However, I just replaced all the lines on the backhoe (not including the loader or stabilizer lines). So these lines should be empty already. I would have to fill the system up with new hydraulic oil to raise the loader and backhoe, only to then purge a fair bit of that new oil out.

Would it be better to simply drain the reservoir and top up with new fluid before firing it up? After draining the reservoir, the only oil left should be in the loader and stabilizer lines. I'm hoping that it's a relatively small amount of old fluid that would remain.

I've got 15 gallons of fresh tractor oil in my garage, but hate to waste new oil if I don't need to. What do you guys think?

Last edited:

sporklift

Guess what part I misplaced!

Got the hard lines back on and routed - no more capped lines sitting out in the rain!

The previous owner did a number on the hard lines, including a special tube, P/N D69421. The way he bent it forced me to route one of the hydraulic lines a bit funny. I called the dealer, but they said the part is now obsolete and they can only get me used parts.

I installed new hose wrap to keep the wear points protected, although my photos were taken just before I put the wrap on.

Next, I drained 14 gallons or so out of the reservoir - including water that had settled at the bottom of the tank! The oil was creamy - no surprise there. After topping back up with new fluid, I was ready to start the machine and work the air out of the lines.....

But in the process of rebuilding the backhoe section, I misplaced one key component. Literally. I am missing the ignition key! Lol! How funny.

new boom cyl chrome closeup.jpg

backhoe lines rerouted1.jpg

backhoe lines rerouted3.jpg

backhoe lines rerouted2.jpg

sporklift

Working!

These repairs may have taken me along a circuitous path, but I fired her up for the first time today, and it's working! There were a few fittings that needed to be tightened just a tad bit more, but generally my new routing worked.

As a quick test, I dug a small pond, maybe just 15 yards worth. Somehow all the "work" I had to do around the property didn't feel like work at all!

Before I do any serious work, I'm going to need to replace all the missing clamps along the boom and fine tune where I put clamp the hoses so that the bend relief and service loops work in all positions.

Anyway, time to go move some more dirt!

ScottAR

Nice work! I still think running a backhoe is about the most fun you can have with your clothes on although I haven't run a grader yet...

sporklift

Looks good sporklift. I bet you're grinning like a mule eatin' briars. :)

You know I am! I tried to explain to my wife why it makes me so happy... she gave me the "I don't get it, but I'm nodding yes" look. LOL

Nice work! I still think running a backhoe is about the most fun you can have with your clothes on although I haven't run a grader yet...

I'll have to take your word for it - I've never run a machine naked! :eek:

Just kidding, I know what you mean. Even just watching machinery in motion can be fun, but when the machine does what you are thinking, it's hard not to smile! Something about the kinematics of it.

All that said, my brain is not yet connected to the control pattern. I'm used to running a cat pattern excavator and it's quite a readjustment.

But hey, I've got a tank full of diesel - sounds like time for more practice!

willie59

Administrator
Occupation
Service Manager
Hi sporklift, you can get the tubing support blocks from Case to clamp the tubing to the cylinder.

580B CK backhoe hydraulics resized.gif

Also, it looks like they used live swivels where the hoses from control valve, hose A and B, connect to the Tee's at the cylinders. I don't know if they are necessary. Once you get to operating your machine, if you have a problem pinching those two hoses, or it works the fittings loose, you might consider fitting those two swivels. ;)

sporklift

Hi sporklift, you can get the tubing support blocks from Case to clamp the tubing to the cylinder.

Yeah, I was going to fabricate some clamps - probably machine them from delrin or similar. Maybe I should check with Case - the stock clamps might cost less than I imagined. For temporary use, I put a block of urethane rubber between the hard tubes and the cylinder:
temp_hose_cushion.jpgtemp_hose_cushion2.jpg

Also, it looks like they used live swivels where the hoses from control valve, hose A and B, connect to the Tee's at the cylinders. I don't know if they are necessary. Once you get to operating your machine, if you have a problem pinching those two hoses, or it works the fittings loose, you might consider fitting those two swivels. ;)

Wow, good catch! I didn't realize those should have been live swivels. I'll keep a close eye on them.

Also, I added hose warp to protect the obvious rub points:
boom_tube_end_hose_protectors.jpg

Singletree

Occupation
Diesel power electric plant operator and contracto
You are having too much fun Sporklift, glad to see you get it together. Merry Christmas to you and all in HEF.

Sporklift, say hi to my cousin in Vancouver, Wa. HaHa. Just kidding, but he does live there.