• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

My old Case 530 Roosa Master pump

rodcap

Occupation
Retired Ag. & Heavy Eqip. Tech.
That pump DOES NOT HAVE a check ball return connector..
Some information is exactly worth what you pay for it..
SA.

It may not look as in the diagram I posted. It may be a 90° fitting, or a "Tee".
The purpose of the check is to prevent return fuel from entering the pump, blocking fuel delivery from the fuel tank return line, or injector return line.
Of course, you might know that.

Last edited:

rodcap

Occupation
The check is to maintain case-pressure near 3-4 psi, and also to preventing return fuel from entering the pump housing during low case pressure.
Most, if not all pumps will operate without the check in place.

When the governor flex ring degrades, particles of it become lodged in the check and slow, or stop the return flow. When this happens, the case-pressure within the pump will equalize to the transfer pressure. Once this happens, the delivery plungers move away from the rollers and no longer deliver fuel to the injectors. With that said, the engine will not crank and/or run.

Reactions: DB2

DMiller

Occupation
Cheap "old" Geezer
That is exactly what happened to the stanadyne on my 180 Allis, pulled the fitting, cleared the choke and was in business to get it home and get the pump off for repairs. All I had to do was bring the timing mark up in the side sight window, pulled the batt cable so would not bump and dragged pump off. Pump gone thru, new transfer pump as well flex coupling parts, cleaned and new umbrella seals, back in business and doing well some 6 years later.

harleyboy1

Found DB reseal kits on e-bay for $30.00 bucks shipped. Have not decided what to do yet. Neighboring town pump shop wants $450.00 to reseal.

Reactions: DB2

thepumpguysc

Occupation
Master Inj.Pump rebuilder
Kit # is 24371> but theres more to it than just a kit..
liner, blades>standard or oversize, metering valve & shim> standard or o/s, delivery valve>standard or o/s & spring, pilot tube & epoxy, shut off clip, & a weight cage if your rivets are smashed..
> a T45 torx bit & an inlb torque wrench & the knowledge to use them.
PM heading your way.

thepumpguysc

Occupation
Rod, I'm not here to argue. but that information you have was written in 1960..??
Housing pressure, {case pressure,LOL} runs 8-12 psi.
That info sounds like it came from a high school or tech school manual?
& once again, his equipment does not have a check ball return, ANYWHERE in the system.
So we're discussing nothing of any importance to the mans problem.
GRANTED, the flex ring could have gotten into the small return line going back to the fuel tank & clogged it..
BUT.. HE ALREADY SAID, its clear.. POST #1..
IF you have ever read any of my posts concerning inj. pump diagnostics.. you would see that the primary diagnostic is to remove the check ball return fitting & run the engine w/o it..
I DO THAT for pumps THAT HAVE A check ball return fitting..
Thank you for playing..

walkerv

Found DB reseal kits on e-bay for $30.00 bucks shipped. Have not decided what to do yet. Neighboring town pump shop wants $450.00 to reseal.
I helped out a friend with oe of them roosta pumps kits are cheap ,knowledge to do it correctly is not, 450 i think is around what he paid to have his pump done also probably one of the cheapest pumps around to have rebuilt correctly .

thepumpguysc

Occupation
"Roosta" Lol
Being in the injection pump industry for over 30 years I've heard dam near every variation of pump names..
They crack me up, STILL. Lol
The actual pump name{ before the name change} is Roosa Master..
My absolute favorite is> Rooster Masher... LOL!!!
IF you can imagine, having a really bad day.. picking up the phone is the service dept.[friggin phone]
& on the other end, a Southern Gentleman saying.. I gots me one of them thar Rooster Masher pumps & I thinks it needs to be gone thru.?? w/ a SLOW, "HEAVY" Southern accent..
It STILL cracks me up..

rodcap

Occupation
Rod, I'm not here to argue. but that information you have was written in 1960..??
Case 530, Manufactured 1960-1969.
animated-smileys-embarrassed-64.gif

Some information is exactly worth what you pay for it..
Just know, we're all in the same boat here.
I did find where this system does not having a check, so you are correct(this time).
animated-smileys-hands-fingers-31.gif

Thank you for playing..
No problem. Glad I could help.
animated-smileys-hands-fingers-33.gif

walkerv

"Roosta" Lol
Being in the injection pump industry for over 30 years I've heard dam near every variation of pump names..
They crack me up, STILL. Lol
The actual pump name{ before the name change} is Roosa Master..
My absolute favorite is> Rooster Masher... LOL!!!
IF you can imagine, having a really bad day.. picking up the phone is the service dept.[friggin phone]
& on the other end, a Southern Gentleman saying.. I gots me one of them thar Rooster Masher pumps & I thinks it needs to be gone thru.?? w/ a SLOW, "HEAVY" Southern accent..
It STILL cracks me up..
Glad i could bring you a chuckle at 5:30 am

kshansen

Occupation
Retired Mechanic in Stone Quarry
It STILL cracks me up..

You for got to mention the half a bag of Redman tabacky he had to have in his mouth.

I used to talk with a guy at one of our company's mechanics at a plant just north of Richmond Va., Dooouuug, or at least that's how he seemed to spell it! Maybe left out a few "o"s or "u"s. Had to wipe out my ear and the phone after a call from him! Great guy and I was lucky to actually get to spend a few days working down there with him and the other guys at that plant. Almost got to understand what they were saying 80% of the time!

thepumpguysc

Occupation
I know whatcha mean.. I found myself finishing peoples sentences, just because I cant wait that long..
ESPECIALLY.. when they're telling you a symptom you ALREADY KNOW..
IIIITS got lo poooer'.. then..then.. then... iiiiit shut ooooff... NOOOW itititit wonts staaaat...
THAT stuttering "I" will make my skin crawl every time.!!!!
& THEN they gotta go into what they did & what they found..
ALL I NEED TO KNOW is> whats your address & phone #..

harleyboy1

Ordered a DB service and repair manual off e-bay to study. Not sure what direction I'm going in yet. My or may not take the plunge. Was reading about a Bristol screwdriver, have a shop full of tools and never heard of that one. I guess, never to old to keep learning.