• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

my logging dio so far

HCF

Occupation
Fabricator
I agree with that. I think they would sell like hot cakes. Even a 5th wheel hayrack trailer.

I think that any new logging equipment would sell extremely quickly if it was well advertised and manufactured in fairly low numbers to see where the market is for it. I was thinking Komatsu Link-Belt or Madill would be great because they are all still being made. I think it's a given that cat forestry equipment would sell fast but it would be real cool to be able to buy a TMY or TSY-50 made by sword or first gear. If we ever got something like that I would be begging someone to build an acme carriage for a small yarder and a boman MKVI for Something like a Berger Marc 2 or a Madill 009 model. I know that the 009 has become pretty popular with the rock heads for pulling a drag bucket. I see them quite a bit in Loggers World for sale from rock companies.

KW850&T800H

COPPA
I disagree with seeing the 009 being produced, the only reason they sold well is because they were cheap, when they broke, they could just buy another one. If a greatly detailed pole yarder was to be made it'd have to be a Skagit BU739. I'm not a fan of Bergers also. As well, madill isn't necessarily being made anymore. Nicholson manufacturing bought them and are fixing them, they will start making more if the demand goes up. I think the log loaders, bunchers and processors are being produced though. And a couple small yarders too maybe. For a log loader (like I said) it'd have to be something you don't see everyday like a Thunderbird or a Madill, the Cat would sell fast as ****, I'd buy one, but it's not classy enough. Log trailers are the thing of the future :D

I agree with that. I think they would sell like hot cakes. Even a 5th wheel hayrack trailer.

I think that any new logging equipment would sell extremely quickly if it was well advertised and manufactured in fairly low numbers to see where the market is for it. I was thinking Komatsu Link-Belt or Madill would be great because they are all still being made. I think it's a given that cat forestry equipment would sell fast but it would be real cool to be able to buy a TMY or TSY-50 made by sword or first gear. If we ever got something like that I would be begging someone to build an acme carriage for a small yarder and a boman MKVI for Something like a Berger Marc 2 or a Madill 009 model. I know that the 009 has become pretty popular with the rock heads for pulling a drag bucket. I see them quite a bit in Loggers World for sale from rock companies.

Last edited:

farmboy26ful

Ya, I kinda figured, and why does everyone have a equipment forum account??? its kinda weird, but I have one to!!!:D: lol

trakloader

If you get the old Cat 225 digging crane, you can quite easily build a Lantec yarder. They weren't a big success, but hey, it might be the easiest route to a 1/50 yarder!

trakloader

My thoughts on a factory made yarder model; Skagit tower would be a very expensive model. They telescope, so that would mean making two closely fitted tubes, plus a locking mechanism to keep it telescoped. Not to mention all the small winches that operate the guylines, and telescope and raise the spar. Add the hydraulic jacks, and hundreds of air lines.... well, $$$$$$$$. The same would apply, of course, to a T-Bird or Berger tower, or a Tyee or Sparmatic, for that matter.

The Madill 009 may not have been the greatest yarder ever, but they were probably the most prolific, and their simple design would be relatively easy to model. Most of the machinery was boxed in, and the pipe is basically one piece. A tank mount could be hauled on a 1/50 lowbed, and it would be fairly easy to make the model fully functional. The 071 of Axe-Men fame would be a good candidate, too.

In swing yarders, Cypress 6280, 7280, or Madill 124 or 144 would be possible, but them lattice booms might drive the price way up. The 144 could be fully functional, as the drums are in line and would be easier to make functional than the side by side drums on the Cypress. A Washington TL-6 might be another possibility, and might even be the most versatile for the 1/50 scale gyppo. They can yard and load, and are fairly simple in their construction. And the rubber mount means you don't need a lowbed. Being about half the size of a 144, price could be kept down.