• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

My first track loader!

OldandWorn

O&W, I think I read the book about the Jeep too.. the main characters found it in an old barn, got it running, then hid it back in the barn and finally wound up buying it at auction. Does that sound like the same book to you? I think you were close on the title too...

I Googled it and you were right on! Year of the Jeep by Keith Robertson.

http://www.amazon.com/Year-Jeep-Keith-Robertson/dp/0670793574

Steven Meader wrote a number of books in the same vein as Bulldozer.. young man makes his way in the world with a bit of luck and hard work and honesty. Not bad ideals to instill in young people! T Model Tommy also runs along that line..
Bulldozer made a lot of people want to be D2 owners... worked on me too and now I have one!

Alan

That is the book Alan although I don't remember much other than they found it in a barn and eventually got to keep it. I actually drive a Jeep but buying one at a dealer isn't near as exciting as finding one in the woods. :D

alan627b

Occupation
Heavy Equipment Operator
The closest I've come is finding part of a T2 traxcavator in a pasture where it's been for 20+ years.. it can only be seen in the fall when the leaves go and the weeds die. I have to go get it one of these days since it might supply some parts for my D2 dozer. There are scattered parts of several brands of crawlers lying around, I think it was where a small company dismantled their worn out equipment at one time.

Last edited:

boone

Anytime I take a country drive, my eyes always gravitate toward any equipment I see in an open barn shed or out in a field. I always wonder what the real story is on some pieces I see that look left abadoned. I'm sure there are some cases where a good machine was left to sit there and deteriorate to point of no return :(

boone

Thanks Dobbada. It's finally putting out the work we expected it to.

nova481

Occupation
Retired Union Electrician
Hi Boone

I just found this thread the other day and read the whole thing. It is a great read. Glad to see that after a lot of hard work everything turned out so well. Beautiful looking farm.

That picture of the track loader in the barn with its lights on reminded me of a very old movie titled KILLDOZER starring Clint Walker. It was about heavy equipment coming alive and terrorizing its operators.

boone

I've heard of that movie nova. Sounds like maximum overdrive. I felt pretty terrorized by our loader 2 or so years ago when we found out it had some major problems. But it's been an educational experience and the results on it and the farm have been well worth it. Thanks for the compliments.

boone

Just in time for high fuel prices

Very close to finishing up our little fuel tank project. I'll post up a few pictures of our past and present progress over the next few days.

Two years ago when we first used the loader over at the farm we used 5 gallons cans to fill the equipment. We never failed to make a big mess over the back of the loader. The old farm tank had about 4 year old fuel in it. We hesitantly used a little out of it, but decided to pump out the remaining old fuel and use for starting the brush fires. We had the tank filled by the coop fuel truck last year and emptied the tank out by summer's end, but we still never cleaned it like we had planned and we were beginning to see a lot of sediment in the golden rod tank filter. With our "new" engine in the loader and my brother's newer tractor we figured investing some time in the old tank would be well spent in minmizing fuel issues with the equipment. Plus, the more we used that old pump, the more it leaked. It was time for retirement or a rebuild. The old tank in all her glory before we took her away...

oldtank.jpg

Took the old tank back to our shop and worked on getting it cleaned up. Having no experience with fuel tank pumps, we kinda scratched our heads over how the old diaphram pump was attached to the tank. Figure it must screw out, but there was no good place anywhere on it to attach a wrench. Slung a sledge hammer at it and what do you know, it spun a little. Pump started to turn by hand and came right out. The back of the old tank has sat on the ground for as long as I can remember. Figured it would be close to rusting through but it wasn't too bad. Unfortunately, the drain plug on the back side had no intention of coming out without a fight. Took a while to break it loose. Several heating and cooling cycles, blaster and hammer pecking did the trick.

Hoisted her up and drained decades worth of old black dirty fuel and sediment. We mixed a gallon of proForce degreaser with about a gallon of water and put in the tank and rolled it around the yard for awhile. Pressure washed it inside and out. Repeated the degrease and wash twice.

underside.jpg

plug.jpg

boone

Using that old pump was about as much fun as doing push-ups. Figured we'd let modern technology give us a break. I ordered a new fill-rite 15GPM pump from NorthernToolWarehouse. Shipped quick and cheap. Came with pump, nozzle, hose, pick-up tube, elbow and even some tephlon. We'll buy filter and fittings here locally.

After debating on whether to get the AC or DC pump we decided on the AC since the tank will always be stationary. The upfront setup work will be more as we have to run a wire from the old shop building to the tank.

pumpbox.jpg

pumpout.jpg

CM1995

Administrator
Occupation
Running what I brung and taking what I win
I ordered a new fill-rite 15GPM pump from NorthernToolWarehouse. Shipped quick and cheap.

Boone, there is a Northern Tool store in Birmingham, don't go there if you want to keep your money in your pocket, they have a lot of stuff you just can't live without...:D

Fill-Rite is a good pump, it will give you many years of good service.;)

boone

LOL, thanks for the warning! That wouldn't be at the Galleria would it?

We've heard good things about the fill-rite. It's funny how many transfer tanks I now notice with those red pumps on it.

CM1995

Administrator
Occupation
Running what I brung and taking what I win
LOL, thanks for the warning! That wouldn't be at the Galleria would it?

It's on Greensprings HWY right off I-65 in Homewood, at the Oxmoor Road exit.

boone

Thanks CM!

I have to admit Robin, we didn't give much thought to turning it into a gravity fed tank. Which is odd considering we don't like to spend anymore than we have to. Gravity is not only trouble free but a lot cheaper than a pump. Guess we just figured we'd keep it in the same old spot and position for sentimental reasons. That's the best excuse I can come up with anyway.

red_man80

I have spent most of the afternoon reading this, and I enjoyed it and learned a lot. Your machine is excellent and I agree with everyone that you done a excellent job getting it up to par. Keep it up

basicequipment

Occupation
manufacturer
Awesome thread! Just gave it an excellent rating. What I like most is that this is a family working together. Used to do everything with my step-dad. He's gone now but this thread brings back a lot of good memories. Can't wait for my son to get up old enough to take on one of these projects with me. Stumbled on this thread looking for info. on my Cat 943. The hydrostat is always slow to begin pulling when you start traveling for the first time. Runs great and shifts with no problem after it gets going. New filters! I think it is related to the charge pump but I'm not sure. If anyone can point me to a thread that will help I would be greatful! I am also needing information on adjusting all of the linkages. Did not mean to high jack the thread. Thanks!

TD-20G

That's my dad's 1968 TD-25C just after he painted it, note the blade is still off. Picture is probably 20 some years old

TD-20G

We have a 175C now. They are built proof machines. Dad bought one in the early sixties. It was the first IH with a powershift. He used it for everything. Sorry bout the picture, it's the first one i've ever got posted, kind of in the wrong thread.

NoCrapmatsu

Boone i will start off buy saying great thread and great job on the loader. I have never run a track loader, dont even see many areound here, but i will say i have always thoufht they were pretty cool. Anyways good luck with your tank, and pump. Little tip, when fueling up take the gun and pull the lever before you switch the pump on, this way the pump is pushing liquid as soon as it turns on and will improve the life of the pump. I dont know if that is common knowledge or what, but I never see guys do it and i was taught that way a long time ago and our pumps seem to last forever. If this was common knowledge sorry for my ignorance everyone.