• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

My first track loader!

boone

Looks like new with the new paint.
Okay thanks Boone. Looks like I'll wait and just rebuild the engine this winter. Not a whole lot of dirt I can push in the winter without just making a mud hole.

We enjoyed restoring it and making it look new. The new decals really set it off too. All the cosmetic work made us feel better about everything we had invested in it. :) Goodluck on the TD7 Zack. Keep us posted on your progress.

boone

Hello Boone, you'll NEVER guess what I just came across!!! YEP!!! A 93 Dresser 175C with a 4-in-1 bucket, 800 hours on an "overhaul", and it's even in MY area, AND in my price range!!!!! Imagine that!!! I have read this entire thread, and I'm VERY scared, and VERY excited, at the same time! After seeing the problems you encountered, well of course that's the "scary" part! HOWEVER, seeing the "end result", that's the "exciting" part!!! I'm going to check it out though, this COULD be the machine I've been looking for, since it has the 4-in-1 bucket, as I would REALLY need that option!!! Anyway, I will let you know, but I may just wind up with it, needless to say this thread has given me MORE than enough stuff to "look at and consider"! So maybe, if nothing else, you're "misadventure's" may help me to avoid the same!??! IF I keep my wits about me!!! Thanks SO much for posting ALL of this! Your loader looks STELLAR!!!!!
Best wishes,
JD in Missouri

That's great JD. Maybe this thread hasn't "scared" anyone too much. As most anyone who's probably on this forum knows, owning any heavy equipment isn't for the faint at heart.

Sounds like you're really doing your research and so that should pay off for you. Look it over good. The 175 has been good to us since fixing most of it's demons. We've put almost 200 hours on it since putting the new engine in. We've found parts are available at our local Komatsu dealer, but they are expensive. We would definitely buy another 175 again, but our radar would be on high alert when buying another one. Goodluck with it and keep us posted!

JDDozerman

Occupation
Disabled Farmer
Thanks Boone, this was a VERY educational, and enlightening, thread for sure!!! It has given me a LOT to think about, consider, and watch for, when I go looking at different machines. I totally understand how you, and your Dad, overlooked the crack in the block, because the "tractor ran so good", and thus did not look too closely at the "physical" traits of the motor. I'm absolutely sure there are MANY who are "guilty" of this same "oversight". In fact, I would honestly have to say, I would have most likely done the same thing! Who would have thought this tractor would have had so many "issues", considering how good it looks, plus the fact that you DID drive and operate it, and it performed so well, at that time!??!!??! It's just one of those things that more or less proves "we are only human", and thus we make "human errors", what matters is whether we learn from them, or not! I'm so glad to see it's working out so well for you now, and that your "demons" appear to be behind you now! I am VERY impressed with the results of your work, i.e. the repairs, cosmetic work, etc. that you all have done to this machine! I would really like to have a "good" 175C with the 4-in-1 bucket, so we'll see how it goes. There is another guy on here, that also has one for sale, that I'm going to look at as well, so hopefully I will wind up with one. It's the closest thing I can come to right now, as far as having both a "dozer" and "crawler loader", all in ONE! I can't afford to buy both right now, so this would be the "next best thing", at least IMHO! Thanks again Boone, I will keep you informed, and please keep us updated as well, I sure enjoyed all your wonderful pictures as well, thanks for sharing them with us!!! How big a farm is it that you're working on? Are you "taking over it" for your late Grand dad? Looks like some beautiful country!!! There's nothing quite like "farming", again IMHO!!! I can't imagine doing anything else! Take care and best wishes!

JD

boone

Thanks JD. I couldn't have said a lot of that better myself. We make mistakes and all we can do is learn from them and try to not to repeat them. Honestly, I'd be scared to death to look at another machine for fear of missing something. It'd be really hard to catch every issue with a machine. Looking back, one thing that should have caught our attention was the antifreeze was low (at least not visible from the rad cap) when we first looked at it. That should've been a red flag. But the owner had also had the motor replaced not long ago and so we thought for sure he had a good motor in it. Anyway, all that is water under the bridge now...

The farm we are working on is 106 acres. My brother and I "bought the farm" from the family and so we're just trying to keep it up. The year before we bought the 175, my brother and I, with the help from a hired hand, reconditioned the old red barn you've seen in many of the pictures. We replaced a lot of the footers, jacked it up and put new supports under the loft beams. We also rebuilt one end of a shed that the winds had damaged and we replaced the floor in the old corn crib. We put up new metal on the back and rebuilt the big sliding door. That was a project in and of itself that I wish I'd documented with pictures, but i didn't :( We hadn't intended on using it store the loader, but it's made a perfect home for the 175. It just fits!

DSC04352-640.jpg

My grandmother has lived on the place for probably 75 years. My grandparents were small dairy farmers. I'd spend summers over there helping grandad with the cattle. Working corn and hay. They never made much money on the farm, but they had a decent life and they knew how to live from the land. Lot of hard work. I don't think my grandad would've wanted to do anything else.

The old place is more of a hobby right now for my brother and I. Dad has been gracious to help and plus he's really enjoying the loader! We may put some cattle on the place one day. There is only 30-40 acres that'd be tillable, but we're increasing the pasture land every saturday we work. :)

I really hope you find a good machine and get a lot of enjoyment out of using it! I love seeing other pictures of other track loaders working. Hopefully we'll see some of your on here soon.

Last edited:

JDDozerman

Occupation
Disabled Farmer
That's really great Boone, I am really enjoying keeping up with this thread, and I too HOPE I will have some pictures myself to post on here soon! I've narrowed down my search to possibly one of the 175's, or the Fiat Allis 14C dozer. I had a chance to check out the 14C with a heavy equipment mechanic, that is a friend of mine, and he was VERY impressed with it! The undercarriage is basically brand new, it has under 50 hours on it, that includes everything from the chains, grousers (pads), rollers, pins and bushings, idlers, sprockets, etc., and it has the self lubing pins and bushings on it, which is kind of nice. It runs great, it looks pretty darn nice as well, and my mechanic friend said I'd be "crazy NOT to get it", especially for the price, which is only $10,000.00, plus it's only about 50 miles from my farm! However, I am still wanting to check out the 175's, so I am going to wait until I see them before making my final decision. The guy with the Cat D6-9U turned out to be another one of those people who just likes to waste other people's time. I just now finally heard from him, he never sent any additional info, pics, or video, as he had promised, and now just says that "it's probably not a good machine for me", which just tells me it's probably not as good as he claimed, oh well! Anyhow, thanks for all the great information, pictures, and history, about your farm, that's really great what you and your brother are doing! I'm so happy to see people getting back into preserving their family farms, and heritage, that is just outstanding, and my hat's off to both of you!!! As soon as I get a machine I will start posting pictures myself, and God willing, it will be SOON, as I am VERY far behind already! Take care, and please keep the great pics, and updates, coming, I for one, never tire of it!!!
Best wishes to you,
JD

JDDozerman

Occupation
Disabled Farmer
Hey Boone, I was hoping maybe you could answer a question for me, do you know if a Cat 951B is the same size, and horsepower, as the Dresser 175C's??? I appreciate your time and help, and the barn looks GREAT, good job you and your brother did on that as well! I really enjoy your pics, and threads, keep 'em coming, HOPEFULLY I will be able to start mine soon! I'm try to push myself to make a final decision this week, otherwise this could go one indefinitely, and I just have WAY too much to do for that to happen! Take care, and I hope all is going well!
Jeff
(JD)

boone

Hey Jeff, 175 is a bit bigger than the 951. Cescoused.com has some spec sheets for some 1970's models. Looks like they only have the C model listed. I'm sure the numbers are ball park for B series. Someone else could probably weigh in on specifics...

A 1977 951C weighs in at 27.2k lbs and has a 3304 @ 95 HP. This model has 15,710 lbs of breakout force.
A 1978 175C weighs in at 31.7k lbs and has a DT-466 @134 HP. This model has 24,575 lbs of breakout force.

Back in the 80's dad hired a guy to clean up his current property and the guy had a 951C. It was in great shape and that guy could really use it. It could take down any tree he wanted. He cleared and graded ditches with it like a pro. The guy also had a CAT D5 but he only used the 951 for the work he did for dad.

For the work we've done at the farm, I wouldn't want anything smaller than the 175. Maybe once everything is cleared up a smaller loader would be fine for maintenance work, but bigger is better if you have the projects that warrant it. Unless you have plenty of time.

Sounds like the Fiat Allis might be a good buy if it's in as good a shape as it sounds. Parts would be the only thing I'd be worried about on that machine. Who supplies parts for Fiat's HE? I've enjoyed all your comments! Best of luck finding and purchasing your tractor.

JDDozerman

Occupation
Disabled Farmer
Thanks so much for the kind words, and information, Boone, I was just curious about the 951's, I was trying to figure out if they were comparable, I would have to agree that "bigger is better"! My biggest "debate" right now is whether to go with a dozer, or a crawler loader with the 4-in-1 bucket, since they both have their advantages, and draw backs. I have narrowed down my choices to about 4 machines, the FA 14C dozer, a Dressta/Dresser 175C w/4 in 1, Case 1550E dozer with only 2800 hours, and even a Komatsu D85E-12 dozer I just found, that is only 75 miles from me, and has 1600 hours on a rebuilt motor, transmission, and torque converter, plus it just had the right final drive replaced, and it has 80% remaining on the UC! It's quite a bit larger machine then I was looking for, with 225 hp, but for the price, and low hours on the rebuilds, in addition to being very close, I'm wondering if I should consider it?!?!? I also believe parts would be much easier to get for this Komatsu, which is a big "plus" as well, I can buy it for $20,000.00, maybe even a little less, if I can talk him down some. Anyhow, regarding parts for the 14C, I have been talking with Nelson (Animal), he also has been very kind and helpful, he said Case/New Holland should be able to get me parts, and I have a Case dealer close to me, though I have to still find out if they carry, or can at least get, the parts for "construction" equipment, since they are an "Agricultural" dealership. At any rate, I do feel better that I have at least narrowed my search considerably, and I still hope to make a final decision by weeks end, God willing, and my brain doesn't explode!!! It sure would be great if ONE of the machines just "jumped out" as the "best deal", but in all fairness, they ALL have their "positive points"! Actually this is probably a good thing, since I feel confident that which ever machine I do chose, will be a "good deal", I just have to try to figure out which is the "best" for my overall situation. I can't wait to get something, so I have to keep my "urgency to buy" under control, so I don't go off making too "hasty" of a decision, just to get something! Well, I guess that's all for now, thanks again for all the great info, and for your continuing support, and assistance! Hope you have a wonderful Monday!

Jeff (JD)

boone

At least you have several choices! I'd like to play with a 4 in 1 for awhile. I'm sure it would be handy for several chores like lifting and moving trees. Probably best I haven't used one...might really want it.

One of my favorite threads on this forum is about a Case 1550 dozer.

https://www.heavyequipmentforums.com/showthread.php?6809-Fun-and-Games-with-my-Case-1550-Dozer

Goes to show you that when buy used and plan to get a lot of work out of it, anything can go wrong and usually does. Good thing is, there are several Case gurus on here.

Depending on the shape of that D85, I'm sure it could move a lot of dirt.. Would hate to pay the fuel bill on it though.

Part of the thrill is the hunt. I know what you mean about keeping your "urgency to buy" under control. I know something will pop up that fits the bill for ya. Goodluck JD!

JDDozerman

Occupation
Disabled Farmer
Good day Boone,
Hey I know, and read, that entire thread posted by "EddieWalker" as well, holly crap Batman, that was BRUTAL!!!:eek: It was VERY impressive from the standpoint of what he accomplished,:notworthy but it was also VERY "disheartening" as well, considering what the poor guy went through!:Banghead It also sent up a barrage of "red flags", so to speak, just reaffirming that we all need to use EXTREME caution, due diligence, and DEFINITELY put our "thinking caps" on, prior to "making the plunge"!!!:duh:exactly The fact is, unless one is on direct "speaking terms" with the "Almighty", and "He" personally tells you the machine is "good to go", this really can happen to ANY of us!!!
I gotta say, I have about chewed all of my fingernails off worrying about making the right decision myself, praying that I select a machine that really is in good mechanical order, and hopefully avoiding finding myself in the same boat!:badidea On the other hand, I have a GREAT deal of respect for those of you who have gone through those unpleasant, "knuckle busting", and "wallet draining", experiences, and didn't "cave", but persevered to the end!:salute
Boone, I have also been operating under the "delusion", that since I narrowed down my search, that the choice would be "easier", NOT!!! If anything it's actually become harder, because each one of the machines in question has it's good points, and draw backs, silly me!!!:spaz It's just like the proverbial "kid in the candy store", I want one of those, and one of those, and those,..............., and here comes "Ma", "now Junior, you can only have ONE! :crying WHY???!!! Oh well, here we go again, the "saga" just goes on, and on, and on!
Have a great one Boone, I WILL decide on something, eventually! ;)
Best wishes,
JD

JDDozerman

Occupation
Disabled Farmer
Hello Boone, well I'm going to go looking at machines again tomorrow (Friday). I'm going to check out the Komatsu D85, a Komatsu D53, and a Cat 977H that I also just learned about, that is in my area. I'm a bit hesitant on it though, because of it's age, although I will just have to see how it looks and runs. It also doesn't have a 4 in 1 bucket, which I would really need if I'm going to go with at crawler loader, instead of a dozer! How's everything going with you? Doing any "digging" lately? Hope everythings going great for you, I will let you know what happens tomorrow, should be pretty interesting, maybe?!?!?! Take care!
JD

boone

Agreed Scott, I still "window shop" from time to time even though I sure don't need another one. :D

JD, best of luck on your hunt! Hope you find a treasure! Haven't been doing much here in the past month in regards to the loader. My wife and I were just blessed with our first child - baby boy! So I've been learning to change diapers and all things associated with a new born. Have been enjoying the little one as much as I can. Everything else has taken a back seat to that. I thought working on the loader was hard work...Haha!

We did get in a couple of work days at the farm a month or more ago. I'll try to round up some pictures and post an update when I'm back at my home PC.

Jlillie2

Occupation
Media services
Congratulations, he'll be flicking levers in no time. B-)

Agreed Scott, I still "window shop" from time to time even though I sure don't need another one. :D

JD, best of luck on your hunt! Hope you find a treasure! Haven't been doing much here in the past month in regards to the loader. My wife and I were just blessed with our first child - baby boy! So I've been learning to change diapers and all things associated with a new born. Have been enjoying the little one as much as I can. Everything else has taken a back seat to that. I thought working on the loader was hard work...Haha!

We did get in a couple of work days at the farm a month or more ago. I'll try to round up some pictures and post an update when I'm back at my home PC.

boone

No doubt Jlillie. I'm sure he will...I can hear it now, "Don't press that button!", "Not that lever!!", and when we get home from the farm, my wife saying, "How'd he get that dirty?!" LOL!

boone

Few pics from the last couple of months. Haven't had to do much wrenching on the machine thankfully. Just keeping her fed with fuel. The only thing we've turned wrenches on are the shanks. Everytime we go to refuel and grease, we check the shanks and tighten any that might have a little slop. We've been trying to keep them nice and tight and in the process of torqueing some of the old bolts, thye break. They’re easy to replace. The replacement bolts were bit too long but they were all we had in the truck the morning we were tightening them.

bucket.jpg

Heavy duty wheelbarrow. Tore down the old garden tiller shed and dumped on the burn pile.

barrow-640.jpg

It was wet enough to set some piles on fire.

fire.jpg

boone

The section we're in has a bank of rock on it...what a pain. Again, trying to get these out of the way so we can bushhog it. BTW, the new dirt teeth have held up well against this stuff.

rocks-640.jpg

peelingrock.jpg

OldandWorn

Looks like you are having a lot of fun Boone...and congrats on the little one :thumbsup

That's an interesting looking ratchet you got there. I can't wait to push down a tree or 2.