• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

More License Requirements 2022

Birken Vogt

Charter Member
As I suspected I made a big mistake not getting it sooner and this is going to be a PITA. I need my class B so I can move from the shop to a service truck. Might get lucky enough to find someone who needs a field mechanic bad enough that they would pay for me to get it… I just think that it’ll be a lot easier to make the move if I already have the CDL. I had a friend who was going to quit and they ended up throwing him in a kw service truck because he already had his class B. I’m an IUOE mechanic currently and I could do the CDL training through the union next year for free, but it still take like 14 days of training through them.

Get a full class A and be done with it. There is an outfit around in CA that rents a 5 speed synchro little RV toter like truck with air brakes and a short 5th wheel gooseneck for testing with no restrictions. But I find myself dragging an over 10k trailer with my pickup once in a while to haul some machine and there is probably something they could get me with, but at least I have the right license. And I could go drive for Bob's sand and gravel if times got tough for some reason.

cfherrman

I got my b back in 06/07 and could have taken the a with a pickup and a trailer and had a full a but never took the time. I recommend if your getting your CDL to go straight for the a from the get go.

Pulling a heavy trailer with a pickup only matters if the pickup is a 1 ton, because reasons lol. Always use a 3/4 ton or a pickup with 10k# or less tag listed on the inside of the door, gvwr I think.

Keep this in mind when buying new pickups too, a srw f250 is more legal to pull heavy then duallys and srw 1 tons.

skyking1

As I suspected I made a big mistake not getting it sooner and this is going to be a PITA. I need my class B so I can move from the shop to a service truck. Might get lucky enough to find someone who needs a field mechanic bad enough that they would pay for me to get it… I just think that it’ll be a lot easier to make the move if I already have the CDL. I had a friend who was going to quit and they ended up throwing him in a kw service truck because he already had his class B. I’m an IUOE mechanic currently and I could do the CDL training through the union next year for free, but it still take like 14 days of training through them.
Do the IUOE school. You've paid for it, use it. If you get dispatched to the right employer they might pay for you to go.

crane operator

If its 3 weeks at the IUOE school, can you get unemployment while you go through?

I think if you can swing a layoff from your employeer with a firm return to work date, you don't even have to apply at any other jobs to get your check.

Heavywrenching

If its 3 weeks at the IUOE school, can you get unemployment while you go through?

I think if you can swing a layoff from your employeer with a firm return to work date, you don't even have to apply at any other jobs to get your check.

Possibly I’m not really sure. The problem is I work for an equipment dealership so we never get laid off like the contractor guys do. That doesn’t ever really give us the opportunity to use the union training center. Which is unfortunate because it’s a very impressive facility.

DMiller

Occupation
Cheap "old" Geezer
Locally the License Testing department is waiving off actual test to the schools, the schools sign off as appropriate as well candidate suitable and the test is used for road test under state guidelines.

1693TA

Occupation
FAA Radar Engineer, (Retired)
It's like Birken stated to get a class "A" and be done with it. Get the air brake endorsement also. I was grandfathered into the program when it started as I had an IL class "DM" license since 18th b'day. Class "D" in IL used to be for heavy truck trailer combinations, (before the CDL program started) and "M" is motorcycle above 150cc. I've not needed a CDL is over 15 years since selling my operating trucks but have always kept it in place as a "just in case" scenario. I don't need a CDL for my antiques but I do deliver farm equipment for a local implement dealer and it's needed for their rig. But that is a voluntary gig for me. Doesn't cost much to keep the CDL in effect once you have it other than the medical certificate every two years from a participating doctor's office.

Birken Vogt

Charter Member
Doesn't cost much to keep the CDL in effect once you have it other than the medical certificate every two years from a participating doctor's office.

Except even the requirements for the Dr. keep going up and most doctors won't do it any more. Found one guy that does, quick and efficient but of course on my paperwork and mine alone, the DMV did not like some meaningless thing and made them change it.

cfherrman

Here the Dr is $100 and is easy for me, but I can see the older guys might have health problems. I can't stress enough that current non drivers go to the DMV and ask about intrastate so they don't need a medical card. I think it's changing your type from one to two.

To the guy wanting to do service truck, ask what's the pay for service truck and compare to what you get now, being out of work for 2-3 weeks and the raise in pay over a year should justify it. Once your a CDL a you will always have a job somewhere, and that pay is only going to go up from here.

John C.

Occupation
Machinery & Equipment Appraiser
The last saw bones I went to was a DO. He told me he had to take some days off and fly to the mid west somewhere for a class. He didn't say how long the class was but I'm sure it was more than a day. That gave him a piece of paper that said he could give transport physicals. He was already certified to give flight physicals but that apparently doesn't count. He said most doctors won't shut down their business for that time and the physicals don't generate enough money for them to justify it.

Truck Shop

Class A-Any CMV tractor/trailer combination where GCWR 26,001 lbs or more.
If you have or get a doubles/triples endorsement--that automatically covers anything to do with air brakes.
Your license will not say air brake endorsement with doubles/triples endorsement.

John C.

Occupation
Machinery & Equipment Appraiser
I'm grandfathered in on the Class A CDL and when I checked on air brakes the regs said something about there being a restriction for air brakes and not an endorsement. I believe new drivers do have to take a written and practical test on air brakes as part of the Class A CDL for vehicles with air brakes. Does that sound correct?

1693TA

Occupation
FAA Radar Engineer, (Retired)
The Dr. visit where I go is $54.00 if out of pocket. Every two years to stay current. Air brake authorization used to be called an "endorsement" before the CDL program took effect in 1992 in Illinois. For a while I had a Texas DL also and at the time you could have both states. Both were heavy truck licenses and air brakes included. I never took any driver's test for Texas as had a clean Illinois DL, they just issued the license after an eye test and collect the fee.

heymccall

I understood that a medical card was required for anything interstate over 10k#. PA grandfathered 17k# and under for no medical card.
I've been fined on my Class M license for no Med card in my old 23k# gvw service truck, in PA.

skyking1

I met an #^$!# car hauler today on the 66th ave bridge @ river road, @John C. can describe it to you. He was on the far side as you see it in this picture, and on top of the yellow lines. I slowed and eased by with my right mirror inches from the steel structure, and slapped mirrors with him and then straightened mine out. He had no business on that bridge it is limited to 28' trailers from every possible approach, and he had no need to be on the line.
193473-L.jpg

It's a bad right angle narrow bridge but you can use it if you know how to operate. They need something, I'm not sure more requirements is it but when you come to a stop stay between the lines!!

LeveePondPark4.jpg

Truck Shop

I'm grandfathered in on the Class A CDL and when I checked on air brakes the regs said something about there being a restriction for air brakes and not an endorsement. I believe new drivers do have to take a written and practical test on air brakes as part of the Class A CDL for vehicles with air brakes. Does that sound correct?

That is correct-with a doubles/triples endorsement it's automatic because there are no doubles/triples
with electric brakes. In school a person will go through air brake training for CDL class A endorsed D/T.