• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

More License Requirements 2022

Birken Vogt

Charter Member
Just saw that "they" are going to require some more structured training for new licensees next year....

Mixed feelings on this: surely enough bad drivers out there but going to make it harder for us boot strappers/small towners to get a CDL now....

Spud_Monkey

Occupation
Decommissioned
Just saw that "they" are going to require some more structured training for new licensees next year....

Mixed feelings on this: surely enough bad drivers out there but going to make it harder for us boot strappers/small towners to get a CDL now....
Yep starting Feb 2022 you must have schooling of so many hours to get a CDL, if you already have a CDL and want to add endorsements you don't need it. They have been kicking that can down the road for years, but now Pete Buttplug is in it's going to be enforced.
Taking away opportunity for those who can do without needing to take a class or go to school, it's all about the money.

Spud_Monkey

Occupation
Decommissioned
Also forgot to add all disabled veterans will be thrown under the bus that want a CDL for whatever reason, not all disabled veterans are physically/mentally disabled they can't use a a semi for whatever reason or a pick up truck requiring a CDL to haul whatever is in range.
There is convoluted line on knowing what you can and can't do when you have been stamped a "disabled" veteran and multiple reasons from physically to mental from 10% to 100%. One thing is for sure there is a line somewhere in the bureaucracy that states, if you can take a class or attend a school or anything of that nature i.e. workshop course you will be either de-rated or dropped completely from your "disability" and some cases must pay back.
They wonder why more combat vets have died of suicide than have been killed in all wars post 9/11 it's cause they expect us to go from full throttle killing and on missions to sitting in a house/apartment rotting away doing nothing, I know cause it's how I live life now, tip toeing the line never knowing when or if.

Truck Shop

Problem with the so-called driver shortage the industry has a high number of drivers over 65. And of those over 65 many are being passed
on driver physicals that wouldn't have passed 8 years ago. Some may find that hard to believe but it's a fact. We have eight drivers that
need to hang it up. One reason trucks like ours have started running auto chains-drivers too old to handle installing chains. And out of the
eight 7 have some sort of medical condition. Everyone of our rigs have to have a inverter because 35% of the drivers have a C-Pap machine.
I figure the next item I will have to install is a lift for the scooter chairs and walkers. it's really a pathetic situation plus not funny.

Spud_Monkey

Occupation
Decommissioned
Problem with the so-called driver shortage the industry has a high number of drivers over 65. And of those over 65 many are being passed
on driver physicals that wouldn't have passed 8 years ago. Some may find that hard to believe but it's a fact. We have eight drivers that
need to hang it up. One reason trucks like ours have started running auto chains-drivers too old to handle installing chains. And out of the
eight 7 have some sort of medical condition. Everyone of our rigs have to have a inverter because 35% of the drivers have a C-Pap machine.
I figure the next item I will have to install is a lift for the scooter chairs and walkers. it's really a pathetic situation plus not funny.
Problem with the so-called driver shortage the industry has a high number of drivers under 40 And of those under 40 many are being passed
need to hang it up. One reason trucks like ours have started running auto chains-drivers too weak to handle installing chains. And out of the
eight 7 have some sort of mental condition. Everyone of our rigs have to have a inverter because 35% of the drivers have a social media addiction.
I figure the next item I will have to install is a lift cause they are out of shape and is discriminatory to not have one. it's really a pathetic situation plus not funny.

It’s a slippery slope…

Tones

Occupation
Ex land clearing contractor, part-time retired
Near where I live there's a wheelchair bound owner driver who's terrific at his job. He pulls a semi tipper and won't allow others to help like cleaning the rear of the trailer after dumping a load. Would he be banned from driving in the US?

Truck Shop

Problem with the so-called driver shortage the industry has a high number of drivers under 40 And of those under 40 many are being passed
need to hang it up. One reason trucks like ours have started running auto chains-drivers too weak to handle installing chains. And out of the
eight 7 have some sort of mental condition. Everyone of our rigs have to have a inverter because 35% of the drivers have a social media addiction.
I figure the next item I will have to install is a lift cause they are out of shape and is discriminatory to not have one. it's really a pathetic situation plus not funny.

It’s a slippery slope…

Now that is funny:)

Truck Shop

Near where I live there's a wheelchair bound owner driver who's terrific at his job. He pulls a semi tipper and won't allow others to help like cleaning the rear of the trailer after dumping a load. Would he be banned from driving in the US?

Yes.

Truck Shop

In order to have a CDL here-class A covers doubles and triples which could mean handling dolly's, plus if for any reason a doctor sees the need
for a stress test you have to be able to perform it. You have to be able to tilt the hood, do full pre-trip, and install chains if necessary.
Plus insurance companies have a say.

John C.

Occupation
Machinery & Equipment Appraiser
I believe class A is the basic license for anything over 26,001 pounds. Endorsements have to be added for things like air brakes, hazardous materials, doubles and triples and so on and so forth. You do the sleep test if you neck is too thick. You have to have a physical from a certified doctor at least every two years. Last time I took a man in for a driving test he had to do the pre-trip reciting everything to check and the items that would cause the truck not to be driven. Any mistakes or omissions and the test ended there. Driving test after that required double clutching the transmission shifts and all the usual highway shenanigans that the tester thru at him. That included backing down between a set of lines like parking at a dock. That was just for a class B license. I suppose that now that it is private testers only, one can pay to pass the test.

DMiller

Occupation
Cheap "old" Geezer
My Class A has Multiple Trailer endorsement code on it. Here a Standard basic Class A will get ability to operate a single trailer tractor trailer.

Old Doug

Bring back the trains all the Truck drivers could become hobos. The oldest driver were i work is retiring at the end of the summer they have been looking for a driver for 6 months.

Truck Shop

Class A-Any CMV tractor/trailer combination where GCWR is 26,001 lbs or more.
With endorsements-{T}-Doubles/Triples.

Quoted directly from the back of my CDL. Air brake is part of a class A and automatic with endorsement {T].

Physicals can be given by a certified nurse practitioner.

Most common screw up while testing---shifting while making a turn from a stop sign.

Last edited:

John C.

Occupation
Machinery & Equipment Appraiser
They can only be given by a person who has attended a training coarse given by state personnel. My regular doctor can't do it, he don't have time to play games, but the Osteopath in Auburn can?

I was told I couldn't drive a truck with air brakes a few years ago but now I see that I don't have the restriction on my license. I hadn't heard about the restriction part of a license until now. I had used it as an excuse to not have to drive. Thanks?

CDL Restriction(s)

L: No Air Brake Equipped CMV - Drivers of commercial vehicles with full air brakes must pass the required tests on air brakes. Drivers who do not take and pass these tests are restricted on their CDL to operate only non-air brake equipped commercial vehicles.

Z: No Full Air Brake Equipped CMV - Drivers of commercial vehicles with partial air brakes must pass the required tests on air brakes. Drivers who do not take and pass these tests are restricted on their CDL to operate only non-air brake equipped commercial vehicles.

E: No Manual Transmission Equipped CMV - Drivers that complete a skills test in a vehicle with an automatic transmission are restricted to operate commercial vehicles with automatic transmissions. They are restricted from operating commercial vehicles with a manual transmission.

O: No Tractor-trailer CMV - Drivers that complete a skills test in a commercial vehicle with a pintle hook trailer connection are restricted to operate commercial vehicles with pintle hook trailer. They are restricted from operating commercial vehicles with 5th wheel trailers.

M: No Class A Passenger Vehicle - Drivers that complete a skills test in a class B passenger vehicle are restricted to operate Class B passenger vehicles.

N: No Class A and B Passenger Vehicle - Drivers that complete a skills test in a class C passenger vehicle are restricted to operate Class C passenger vehicles.

K: Intrastate Only - Drivers that self-certify as Non-excepted intrastate or is under the age of 21. Driving is restricted to intrastate commerce.

DMiller

Occupation
Cheap "old" Geezer
We have a Class A /K restriction trainee currently, 20 years old.

The physical doctors here are a joke, a few Osteopaths and Chiropractors have the cert here, a number of people I know should NOT be driving(Vertigo or deaf as a post no aids, one cannot see well enough to read a trip order sheet without a magnifier) and get signed off by a quack chiro in Warrenton MO.

The Peej

They can only be given by a person who has attended a training coarse given by state personnel. My regular doctor can't do it, he don't have time to play games, but the Osteopath in Auburn can?

I was told I couldn't drive a truck with air brakes a few years ago but now I see that I don't have the restriction on my license. I hadn't heard about the restriction part of a license until now. I had used it as an excuse to not have to drive. Thanks?

CDL Restriction(s)

L: No Air Brake Equipped CMV - Drivers of commercial vehicles with full air brakes must pass the required tests on air brakes. Drivers who do not take and pass these tests are restricted on their CDL to operate only non-air brake equipped commercial vehicles.

Z: No Full Air Brake Equipped CMV - Drivers of commercial vehicles with partial air brakes must pass the required tests on air brakes. Drivers who do not take and pass these tests are restricted on their CDL to operate only non-air brake equipped commercial vehicles.

E: No Manual Transmission Equipped CMV - Drivers that complete a skills test in a vehicle with an automatic transmission are restricted to operate commercial vehicles with automatic transmissions. They are restricted from operating commercial vehicles with a manual transmission.

O: No Tractor-trailer CMV - Drivers that complete a skills test in a commercial vehicle with a pintle hook trailer connection are restricted to operate commercial vehicles with pintle hook trailer. They are restricted from operating commercial vehicles with 5th wheel trailers.

M: No Class A Passenger Vehicle - Drivers that complete a skills test in a class B passenger vehicle are restricted to operate Class B passenger vehicles.

N: No Class A and B Passenger Vehicle - Drivers that complete a skills test in a class C passenger vehicle are restricted to operate Class C passenger vehicles.

K: Intrastate Only - Drivers that self-certify as Non-excepted intrastate or is under the age of 21. Driving is restricted to intrastate commerce.

Interesting I took the test in an automatic with a pintle hook trailer and don't have ant restrictions