• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Miller 250 twin

Equipmentguy224

A guy has a miler two fifty twin ac/dc stick welder for sale. He’s asking $ 300 Canadian but said we can talk about the price since he’s had it listed for a month now. Is this a good machine? Good price or not?
Thanks

John C.

Occupation
Machinery & Equipment Appraiser
Seems awful cheap if it is a working welder. A new one is probably around $3K or more.

Welder Dave

It's an older model from 1972 (according to attached owners manual) to maybe 75/76. Saw another one with a 1975 serial number. Possibly a predecessor of the more popular Dialarc 250 AC/DC. Here's an owners manual. It only lists the one manual on Millers site which suggests it wasn't very popular. $300 seems high considering you could get a brand new inverter from Everlast with at least a 3 year and maybe a 5 year warranty for about the same money. I know a guy who owns some high end welders and bought an Everlast and says it welds every bit as good as his expensive Lincoln and Miller machines. If it was a Dialarc 250 in excellent condition and welded properly it could be worth $300. Being it wasn't a common model I'm guessing it was a lower end model than the Dialarc and the Dialarc replaced it in short order. I'd probably pass on it unless the price dropped to $200 or less and it was like new. A few years ago it would have been worth more but with the new inverters proving to be good reliable machines, some of the older conventional machines have lost a lot of value. Best older single phase machine in my opinion is a Lincoln Idealarc 250 AC/DC. Little nicer welding arc than a Miller Dialarc 250 AC/DC.

https://www.millerwelds.com/files/owners-manuals/O313_MIL.pdf

Last edited:

mitch504

They are pretty nice welders, I bought the Lincoln equivalent at an auction for $250, then another just like it for $25. Welder Dave posted while I was typing, so, I'll add this: The ones I bought were Idealarc 250s, from the mid '70s, which are great welders. A place I worked in the '80s, had those Millers, they were pretty good too.

One thing to watch out for, make sure it is single phase. Unless, of course, you have 3-phase into your shop.

Last edited:

John C.

Occupation
Machinery & Equipment Appraiser
The title of the thread said 250 twin so I thought it was gasoline powered.

Welder Dave

The title of the thread said 250 twin so I thought it was gasoline powered.

I did too till I looked it up. Was thinking of an Onan powered welder. I knew Miller made an Econo Twin 150 amp single phase welder. The Two Fifty Twin is single phase but I don't think it should be confused with a Dialarc 250 which were much more common and still made today. It may be just fine but not being as common as a Dialarc 250 or Idealarc 250, I think $300 is a little high especially if Idealarc 250 AC/DC's are going for $250 or less.