• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

MF50A oil leak

cpmartin1989

Morning all, I recently got MF50A, everything works as it should on the TLB which is rather impressive for its age. Mainly small stuff on the 5 acres I just bought so I think I will get moneys worth in no time. But it does have one strange issue, it leaks engine oil out of a small hole on what appears to be a gauge for something? Perhaps oil temp? I am not 100% sure and the manual I have does not explain what it is either. It is rather strange to me but while the machine is running it leaks no oil whatsoever, but the minute you shut it off it starts to spew out of this little hole. I took the plate off yesterday and took some photos prior to posting so everyone could have a reference to what I was talking about. Any advice is appreciated IMG_3424.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_3426.JPG
    IMG_3426.JPG
    3.3 MB · Views: 13
  • IMG_3427.JPG
    IMG_3427.JPG
    2.6 MB · Views: 13

Delmer

That's the tachometer drive? Is there a spiral cable inside that outer plastic spiral steel cable? Does your tachometer work? I think I see an o ring in a groove in the second picture, replace that o ring and see what happens.

Delmer

probably just the way it was cast, cools a little as it fills and the ridge looks like a crack.

cpmartin1989

That's the tachometer drive? Is there a spiral cable inside that outer plastic spiral steel cable? Does your tachometer work? I think I see an o ring in a groove in the second picture, replace that o ring and see what happens.
Hey Delmer, yes the tach works great. I will go back and see if I can see an O-Ring, I sure didn't see one the other day. I really thought that, that tiny hole may of had threads in it and a small bolt had fallen out, but it is super smooth. I thought maybe an overpressure relief?

Delmer

Sorry dude, I completely missed the part about the tiny hole. I went out and looked at one, and it looked like it had a sheet metal screw jammed into that hole:D That IS the tachometer drive off the end of the camshaft. Make sure the square part of the cable goes in the square part of the drive when you put it back together.

My guess is that it's a drain hole and there's a seal for the end of the camshaft that is leaking, and that drain hole is to prevent oil from being drawn up the tachometer cable and gunking up the sensitive tachometer. Search "A4-203 perkins tachometer drive oil leak" and I bet you'll find something...

edit: after that, search "perkins tach drive seal"

Thanks, it looks like I need one too.

Last edited:

cpmartin1989

Well shoot, you think i should just jam a screw up there as well? or i searched your first suggestion on google and found on yesterdaystractors that they actually had a seal that was in place there and when oil was leaking out it was to warn you that the seal was bad. I haven't been able to find the exact seal on a quick google search. Also if you have one of these machines i have the ORIGINAL owners manual that the guy still had. Plus I paid the agco price for the backhoe breakdown if you are in need of any info.

Delmer

From the sound of the threads I saw, you should be able to pull the seal out with an o ring pick and stuff the new one back in from the outside of the engine. If the sealing surface of the cam is worn, it may still leak, and you'd need to remove the cam to sleeve it, that's not gonna happen. I bet the new spring loaded seal will make the leak go away enough that it won't matter.

cpmartin1989

Yeah, if I have to remove the cam I'll just keep adding oil to it. Its not an abundant amount. Just enough to **** ya off.
I paid $1500 for it and it has 1300 hours on it (yes the hour meter does work haha) so I will buy that part and see what I can do, if not like i said ill buy oil in bulk