• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Memories for us old truckers

DMiller

Occupation
Cheap "old" Geezer
Sand plant dredge crane has a H190 cummins, head gasket leaks fast as fill, Cummins tech looked at it, not repairable as NO Parts for a six bolt head H series. Engine to replace is at Sand Plant shop
Deere Industrial.

1693TA

Occupation
FAA Radar Engineer, (Retired)
Sand plant dredge crane has a H190 cummins, head gasket leaks fast as fill, Cummins tech looked at it, not repairable as NO Parts for a six bolt head H series. Engine to replace is at Sand Plant shop
Deere Industrial.

Olson's can make those gaskets if needed and the expense could be justified. If the old one is sent, a new one would come back if they didn't have it on hand.

Not bucking for them at all but they've served me well over the years with antique engine gaskets.

1693TA

Occupation
Picked up via ebay a set of four new, Dayton wheels mounted and never used 8.25X15LPT tires for my old drop deck last week, so now will be able to have ready spares available. Don't really want any more steel belted tires on this trailer as they tend to explode on their own as they age. In years of late we've only used the trailer for hay work from one field to another amounting to about 75 miles total a year, so not been used on road much but every year a tire explodes whether the trailer is used, or not.

1693TA

Occupation
Problem is-it's better to repower if the equipment justifies it.

Yes it is if the equipment is still being worked. Keeping the old stuff operational is still very feasible with a repower and less costly in the future to maintain.

1693TA

Occupation
Picked up via ebay a set of four new, Dayton wheels mounted and never used 8.25X15LPT tires for my old drop deck last week, so now will be able to have ready spares available. Don't really want any more steel belted tires on this trailer as they tend to explode on their own as they age. In years of late we've only used the trailer for hay work from one field to another amounting to about 75 miles total a year, so not been used on road much but every year a tire explodes whether the trailer is used, or not.

Small world out there for sure:

Those tires I mentioned for my drop deck are now in one of the next small towns over. Turns out the fella whom hauled them 450 miles for me from the point of purchase is the son of a long time customer when I had the body shop operational. I still do some work for the family from time to time and currently have many JD 4020 parts to blast clean for them. I actually installed rust repair rockers, cab corners, and bedsides onto the truck that hauled the tires several years ago. I'm told they are still there and holding up.

The tires will be delivered later in the day. I've found a leaking inner hub seal on the drop deck, and a very slow to release R-12 brake valve, so going to address those issues yet this morning also.

1693TA

Occupation
Zippered another tire bringing it up to 120psi from the 70psi it was at. Glad I have a remote chuck and gauge assembly to inflate large tires as that sumbitch was LOUD inside the shop when it come unglued. 2nd of five 18ply "Hankook" branded tires which I installed several years ago that have exploded with no load on.

Was hoping one of the aged Dunlop branded tires would have let go as it's a 14ply, older yet, and getting thin on tread life. These Hankook T06 tires are still at about 90% but near or better than 20 years old so no real loss due to aging.

The R-12 relay valve is replaced and brake release operation is now normal. The other valve was still dragging the rear brake axle 20 seconds after the brake, or treadle valve was released in the cab. Brake application was immediate, but release was far too slow. I had one of these in my cabinet so no problems there.

Inner "Stemco" seal leakage has saturated the brake shoes. Don't know if I can clean them up or not but certainly going to try. Mineral spirits followed by a very hot water rinse does wonders for this compromise. I had Lucas synthetic hub oil installed and man is that crap sticky to the bearings. Just like it's supposed to be I'd wager but it kept the bearings lubricated as there is no damage there I can see. The trailer has Standard Forge axles and kinda getting hard to get parts for at times. I had these shoes relined about four years ago as they had no cores to build up.

upload_2021-11-29_16-25-24.jpeg

1693TA

Occupation
upload_2021-11-29_17-50-25.jpeg

New and cheap round, black, full of air cruising tires on Dayton wheels.

Blown Hankook T06 on the left.

I done wrapped the wheel end in plastic and put the trailer out back of the shop so no photos. Got some hauling to do for the implement dealer tomorrow so don't quite know if'n I'll get back onto it tomorrow or not. I need to get my aqueous parts washer fired up and up to temperature tomorrow morning. It takes a couple of hours to get just below steam, but puts out very clean parts.

1693TA

Occupation
Had not Heard Std Forge in like FOREVER!!

Oh I know it. Used to be so common too. This trailer is a shop built unit from a much older than titled trailer, (Brown, I think) but has sure been a good one. No spring brakes so got to be sure to block the wheels before backing under it or it really likes to take off. I need to flip it over on it's back and replace the tension strip on the bottom beams, (3/4"X4") as the rust is spreading this apart. I only purchased the steel about 15 years ago for the task. Also the old "Hutch" suspension needs some rust attention in the hangers. I have everything new, just lack the motivation to do anything about it. That old age "Maybe Tomorrow" type attitude.

Truck Shop

Not to **** anyone off but this thread is mainly for antique and newer trucks along with old advertisements
for some equipment but mainly trucks. Trucks posted for sale on Truck Paper or Craigslist are ok too.
But posts about personal trucks and the daily work or tasks to repair them need their own thread, please.

1693TA

Occupation
Not to **** anyone off but this thread is mainly for antique and newer trucks along with old advertisements
for some equipment but mainly trucks. Trucks posted for sale on Truck Paper or Craigslist are ok too.
But posts about personal trucks and the daily work or tasks to repair them need their own thread, please.

If my posts are in error as far as location feel free to relocate them proper. No harm, no foul there.

Old Doug

There was a guy that had a GMC like this one that pulled a 3 axle livestock trailer. He brought horses to the amish . I cant remember were he was from but it was over 600 miles away. The truck was in good shape but had never been painted and had very little paint left it always had a logchain hanging from its front hooks. There was another at a junk yard i went to often i ask the owner about it but never got a price i never seemed to have any spare cash at the time any way it had a gas engine.