1. Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!
  2. ALL NEW MEMBERS READ THIS FIRST!! Thank you for joining Heavy Equipment Forums! If you are new to forums we communicate with "Threads", please search our threads to see if your topic may have already been answered and if not then click "Post New Thread" in the appropriate forum. This will allow all of our members to see your question and give you the best chance to be answered. After you've made a number of posts you will graduate to Full Member status where you'll see a few more privileges. Following these guidelines will help make this the best resource for heavy equipment on the net. Thanks for joining us and I hope you enjoy your stay!!

Memories for us old truckers

Discussion in 'Old Iron!' started by Truck Shop, Feb 27, 2017.

1. DMiller

DMiller Senior Member

Retired
    Mack has one edge, Double Reduction gearing in those old Top Loaders.

Truck Shop likes this.
  2. Truck Shop

Truck Shop Senior Member

fry cook
    Co knows both those engines front to back and sideways too-because he had a monster 2 stroke series 60.:p

colson04, JPV and DMiller like this.
  3. RollOver Pete

RollOver Pete Senior Member

Operating Engineer/mechanic
    Big Ben, this here's the Rubber Duck and I'm about to put the hammer down 10-4.

DMiller likes this.
  4. crane operator

crane operator Senior Member

All kidding aside- I don't think it really matters. The 3406 is expensive if you have to have a head reman. Rebuilding the cat injection pump won't be cheap either. The cat will make more torque and power. The cummins will have better jakes and parts will be cheaper.

Really for just pulling around a lowboy with a excavator/ backhoe/ dozer, it won't make any difference. Don't turn your nose up if you can find a truck with a 12.7 detroit either- I have one of those too and its a good engine.

I think you just look at the overall condition of the truck, buy it right so you have some $$$ to fix what is going to break, and run it. I can't usually find exactly what I want when buying a truck, so I just try to find one that's close to what I want at a price I can live with. Change what absolutely won't work for what you want to do, and go on with life.

They all break and all have things go wrong, but anything in a 12.7, 3406 b or e model, or big cam/ n14 cummins in the pre 2000's trucks are going to be fine. You'll always find guys that will only drive cat, or only cummins, or only a KW or Pete- kind of like the Ford/chevy/ dodge pickup arguments. but really its about point a to point b with the best reliability for the least cost, and I don't think any of those engines is a bad choice.

5. Truck Shop

Truck Shop Senior Member

fry cook
    Crane operator my company is looking at changing over from the DD15's to Cummins X15's what do you think of those? being you have a new occupation as a trucking industry consultant.
    We want to make the right move and keep the costs on the super low side.

DMiller likes this.
  6. dieseldog5.9

dieseldog5.9 Senior Member

With the X15 did they solve the problem of the pistons coming out the side of the block?

Feel like nobody talks about detroits, they just seem to run cargo up and down the road. The caterpillars have the braging rights because they have the coolist stickers to put across the window, if trucking was about stickers Cat would be the bestest.

DMiller likes this.
  7. crane operator

crane operator Senior Member

I hear your company has excellent mechanics doing all the work, so it makes no difference what you buy. I hear this new stuff is all computer controlled and will tell you through the screen whatever might be wrong. They order their own parts - simple simple simple. They even have changed these brake systems to disc instead of drum- will save on your labor and moving those heavy drums, less moving parts and a better system all around. Its all about making it easier to service and identify the super rare hiccups in the system. The manufacturers are all looking out for you today.

As far as saving costs- I doubt the trucks are getting cheaper- seems like labor and overhead in the maintenance facility may be the only place to cut. Looks like no more starbucks coffee in the break room. Break times are going to have to be cut, and no more OT either. There's going to be a stop to the 1 1/2 hour lunches on the expense account too.

I heard scuttlebut about putting in to the county rotation and to do some AAA lock out and jump start calls with the tow truck to make ends meet. I think I saw a report about taking in some outside trucks and doing tire work too. Everyone will just have to pull together in these tough times. :)

8. Truck Shop

Truck Shop Senior Member

fry cook
    Damn I was right! I knew you would steer a straight line, in your first life you must have sold vacuum cleaners C.O..

Camshawn and DMiller like this.