• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Memories for us old truckers

JPV

In the early 2000's I drove a 79 Peterbuilt transfer dumptruck with a 300 Cummins with no jakes and one of those 7 speeds. The truck came out of the flatlands in Texas, it didn't work very good in Western Washington. We did a lot of upgrading to that old girl and it is still on the road last I new.

mitch504

I used to have 5 CH 613 tractors with EM7-300s and straight 7-speeds, 4:56 rears. They would pull hell off the hinges-slooowly. Ex Matlach tanker yankers. Great trucks, if you weren't in a hurry.

SC declared a state of emergency after back-to-back tropical storms, had a mud boil under the dam at Pinopolis. They called in trucks that could haul 10,000 lb+ armor stone from everywhere, I had 2 big rock trailers, we ran 24-7 for 15 days. We were only 30 miles from home, but there were trucks from 1000 miles away running with us. One day we loading on the quarry floor at North Columbia, because they couldn't bring it up fast enough.

they were loading 3 trucks at a time, to 100,000, and we took off up the ramp. I shifted twice climbing the ramp, but the 2 road trucks behind me couldn't get out of low. The 2 drivers went crazy on the cb, I had walked off from a 550 and a 600. They wanted to know what I had, I told them a Maxi-torque 300, and they demanded to see it, then accused me of switching valve covers. We rolled off the scales and onto the hills on I-26. I walked away from them up to 25 mph, then I topped out at 30, and they went 60. Then they believed me!

DMiller

Occupation
Cheap "old" Geezer
Pushed that 3406E I was driving across Antire Quarry hill here at average 60mph at top W to E with somewhere well over 50K of grain on it, 6% grade for just over a mile, drop three(incl Splits) gears climbing with last few hundred yards steady speed. Not WA state but severe enough for around here.

Truck Shop

15 years ago the company had two Signature 600 Cummins. Those two would run but drive tires took a beating. About 30,000 miles less on a set of drives than our other rigs rated at 525.

dieseldog5.9

Something special about how an old mack makes power, forget that those 2 engines are years apart but the Cat is 15 liters and the mack is what 11.

The lower the RPMs on the mack get the more the turbo spools.

Truck Shop

That's quite true, but from the stand point of torque to rpm the cat comes in level at 1200 at 1850 and stays there. And like said the cat is around 1450 at 1025. Those two drivers
in the post above weren't out of power they were afraid to shift on a grade that was the problem plus they didn't step into it from the git-go. IMHO. I've been around the 300 maxi torque.

crane operator

dieseldog5.9

L9000 vs LTL, still have a soft spot for an LTL, must be all those ertil toys as a kid in the 70s.
images

mitch504

The Macks have always tolerated low RPM operation better than others, reference nothing else would live in front of a 5-speed at 80,000lbs.
I doubt those highway trucks had 5.56 rears, either; but, I like Truck Shops interpretation that it was ALL DRIVER SKILL! :p

Truck Shop

When I ran into Vancouver B.C. every night I had two routes, the freeway or cross at Sumas and go up through Cloverdale through Surrey. After Cloverdale there were two 10% grades
up over two ridges one after another with a stop light at the bottom of each. If you made the light you just backed out of it and waited, dropped it in the low side fourth gear on the grade.
you couldn't down shift fast enough. I was coming down the last one-one morning and watched a truck power out coming up. He was trying to down shift finally grabbed one and shot the
driveline on the pavement. Driving is way more than holding a steering wheel. The reason mitch504 pulled away from those two is he knew what he had and drove it so.

crane operator

Ah, the dreaded stoplight at the bottom of a hill. There are two worse things- a stoplight just before the top of a hill, and of course- the one in the middle of a hill. Let off the brakes, on the throttle and let the clutch out all at the same time- without smoking the clutch, killing the engine, or leaving the driveline lay. I think I've done all three at one time or another. I may have done all three at the same time..........

And well - 4.56-5.56- if you can't just throw out random numbers among friends and liars, what kind of truck driver would you be?

I won't even tell you the story of my 2 stroke 60 series detroit, that put out 1878 hp to my 76,000lbs planetary sun gear, hub pilot dayton rears. It had a 24 speed multiplex, brownie power tower, syncromesh spicer, running double overdrive with a big hole. It was in a set back front axle, long nose freightshaker. 152" wheel base with a 87" condo sleeper. I drove from the sleeper sitting on a milk crate, that anderson erickson dairy is still going to prosecute for having in my possession.

Cobra 29 locked in with a linear ham radio amplified mofset, running 157 amps through twin 102" whips- they could hear me on the moon. Those were the days :rolleyes:

Truck Shop

I'm not sure but I think crane operator watched a little too much in the way of TV truck'in shows.;) What would make that better is a convoy of cranes.

Last edited: