• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

MacMillan Bloedel Ltd. Red & White Iron, Past and Present....

HD Mech

Occupation
Heavy duty mechanic
Calling The Shop.

You will know doubt remember the fine gentleman that drove these two trucks at Kelsey. I just enjoyed coffee with them this past weekend, hadn't seen them in many years.

You must mean Steve and Rudy Katovic? I don't remember the truck numbers that much since I was only at Kelsey Bay for a short while. Mainly Eve River, queen Charlottes guy.

diamondtguy

Occupation
machine fitter/fabricator
Quite the selection of trucks they have there....looks like a cool place to spend some time and get your feet dirty....

HD Mech

Occupation
Heavy duty mechanic
I notice they all have catwalk (maybe the wrong term) supports on them and all have single exhaust.Maybe been repowered by then or KTA powered.Last pic looks like it has dual mufflers

When I worked at Kelsey in 1990 a lot of the trucks had KTA power, they had three older Kenworth's with 12V71's and a few 12V71TT's.

diamondtguy

Occupation
machine fitter/fabricator
I remember putting quite a few KTA engines in the P-16's.I assumed it was a terrain orientated decision.I am sure there was more to it than that tho....Cory

dirty4fun

When I was at the yard last summer as I remember there was a Hayes HDX using a cable to move a Pacific truck around the yard one day. Sure the cable wasn't nearly stiff enough to be pushing on the HDX. Also as I remember it was H17 that had to move the Pacific out so it could go for a ride on a lowboy trailer. Guess they all are better when running, but it did make a dandy anchor for a while till they got enough air in the tank to get the brakes to release.

Blk prince

Occupation
Truck driver semi retired
In the pictures from Kelsey Bay,one shows a trailer with an "I" beam reach. I came across 2 others in all my time I in Nitinat. Not very common

HDX

callingtheshop Yes that was just before the big WEYCO garage sale. They had already taken delivery of a number of the fiberglass fleet trucks from Inland Kenworth in Campbell River. I took pictures of some of them also, didn't know whether to post them or not. I went over there with Ray Sumner who was our truck foreman at the time and Franklin was looking for more trucks. The trucks had been all picked over prior to us going there. H61 was without a doubt the cherry of the bunch. Whoever drove her sure looked after her. I got a pretty good idea how he felt having to walk away from her !!!!Went into the shop and went through the drivers maint books just to see what they were like from a drivers perspective , and the C/H said that the H61 was going to NWB. We ended up with H38 and H58. It was a sad time for the M&B guys because they could see the end was coming like a speeding train. In the Sproat Lake pictures it shows two of the Franklin trucks that had been sent over there for a short time. H60 and H66. H66 was a P16 that had been rebuilt with a Mack E9 500hp engine with the 12 speed manual trans bolted to it. Lots of money spent on her and with the original driver (Gary Cathers) she stood up well. But as things work out he got a new P16 PreLoad and she became just another truck. We in return ended up with the H75 and H154 Never was able to figure that one out. H60 was given to Saratoga Ventures in Campbell River back when Barry Ritchie owned it along with truckloads of other parts and equipment. He eventually sold the business to "Saratoga Joe" Wiley who is supplying parts for the forest industry all over the world. I think her frame is still in the blackberry bush's up there.