• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Mack-Phase Two

Truck Shop

That barf green I just can't do. The only thing about this rig that will be Mack is some of the sheet metal, cab and radiator. And even that radiator if I had time would get a new look.
The shell design was obviously designed by a blind quadriplegic, no offense to blind quadriplegics. But I definitely have a better design than that mess. Believe it or not it still had the
original core in it. But the holes for the top tank are blind, and those holes were not squared to each other nothing was symmetrical. On center of the old core from end to center the
holes in the front were off a 1/16 one way and the rear 1/8 the other way in order to fit the top tank. Who knows which was drilled first the core or the tank. But the aluminum side
supports should have been built to bolt to the sides of the top and bottom tanks not slid in place between top and bottom tanks and core.

RZucker

Occupation
Mechanic/welder
Sounds like my last three trailer rebuilds. Absolutely nothing square to work with. A 40 footer with one outside rail that's 1 inch longer than the other? I made a King pin clamp to get good diagonal measurements to square the suspension.

DMiller

Occupation
Cheap "old" Geezer
We had Fruehauf vans delivered at Feld in 78, were dog tracking so bad had issues getting them INTO the shop bays. Spent weeks on the Emerson fleet so they would not destroy the tires by scrubbing, many of them were so far off square to be sent back to Fruehauf shop for repairs as we were not accepting them. The old Utility External Frame flats were notorious for being Off Square.

crane operator

Glad to see you getting some progress done, every good body/paint mans shop I've been in has also looked like a mess. I see those spotless shops on the rebuilding tv shows, and I don't know how they get anything done.

I like the color, what's the interior color going to be?

Truck Shop

Fired it up and test ran it today for about an hour. Jakes tested ok set the rpm up to 575 at idle. Oil psi cold 42 lbs hot idle 20-22, that's all good. And power steering works.
Typical BC 855 smokes like hell cold and stutters Mel Tillis for about 10 seconds after start up then smooths out.

Mother Deuce

Fired it up and test ran it today for about an hour. Jakes tested ok set the rpm up to 575 at idle. Oil psi cold 42 lbs hot idle 20-22, that's all good. And power steering works.
Typical BC 855 smokes like hell cold and stutters Mel Tillis for about 10 seconds after start up then smooths out.
It's channelling a 903 LOL!

RZucker

Occupation
Mechanic/welder
That is mean
Nothing worse than a 9 o nothin
I once bought a '76 Pete conventional with a grenaded 903 for nearly nothing, it wasn't a bad looking truck. Figured I could sell the hood and some other stuff and come out ahead, before I got it home I ran across a wrecked cornbinder with a silver 8V-92... Made a few bucks on that crossbreed. :)

Birken Vogt

Charter Member

Is this the type that the first compression stroke sounds like the starter is not going to make it, until it does, and then once you get it rolling over have to help it along with the starter until it catches enough cylinders to stay running?

And smokes like a chimney until you start to drive it.

Good ole days.

RZucker

Occupation
Mechanic/welder
I j
Is this the type that the first compression stroke sounds like the starter is not going to make it, until it does, and then once you get it rolling over have to help it along with the starter until it catches enough cylinders to stay running?

And smokes like a chimney until you start to drive it.

Good ole days.
I just replaced the starter on my old IH yard truck with a Denso gear reduction starter, It doesn't do that ugga-ugga thing now. 400 HP BC 3 with STC. Starts... farts twice and runs smooth. :D