• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Looking to buy my first skid steer

md80captain

I have been looking for awhile. I found this on ebay, seems like a hell of a deal considering all the equipment in the package. I have read some on ASV skid steers and seen some mixed reviews. I talked with the guy and he seems like he's on the up and up and says if I'm not happy with it when I come to pick up (in person) I don't have to pay for it. The hours do seem high and it is a bit of an older unit. He says he has no service records. I'm assuming the undercarriage must have had some parts replaced during its life. What do you guys think? http://www.ebay.com/itm/261203722093?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

k45

I certainly would not make assumptions about the undercarriage. With those hours, it could be ready for the second replacement.

The attachments are only worthwhile if they are in good condition AND they are ones you would buy anyway. A good deal on attachments that you don't really need isn't a real deal. I would also be worried about the brush cutter if he has been cutting 5" trees with it.

YMMV. Good luck.

Bobcatdan

Anytime you are looking to buy a used machine from a private party, have it hauled to a dealership to have a full inspection done. If the seller has nothing to hide, they shouldn't have a problem with this. I see over and over guys buy machines thinking they got a deal and then bring to me for a minor hydraulic leak and I find $3,000 worth of stuff that needs to be fix now. Making it not a deal in the end. Also I found if a seller can't sell a machine locally, there is normally a reason. I have had customers drive clear half way across the country just to haul scrap iron back.

md80captain

Thanks for the advise guys. My biggest concern was the hours on the machine, and since there are no maintenance records, who knows what was replaced and when. I understand the undercarriage can be a costly proposition if it needs lots of parts replaced. I am a Auto and Airplane mechanic as well as a pilot. I don't, however have a whole lot of knowledge of skid steers. You are right about having it checked out. I'm betting the guy won't go for me dragging it to a dealer. How much can a skid steer mechanic do on site? As far as the trailer and attachments go, that's the main attraction for me as all of those things I can use. The only thing he does not have that I want is a forklift attachment. I figure that all the stuff excluding the skid steer would be roughly his asking price if I went out and bought it all new. However, I don't want to get it home to discover it needs some $5000 part right off the bat.

Digdeep

I would have it inspected by a local ASV dealer. I have owned that same model RC50 for quite some time now and I have been very happy with it. However, I bought it when it had far less hours on it compared to the one you are looking at it. Get it inspected.

Ron Burgundy

Banned
I'm looking for a similar thing, but probably a RC60. Would actually prefer a SR70 for the higher power and weight, and fresher machine, but cost and ease of trailering (on a ten thousand pound trailer) brings me down to the 60 level. That is more hours than I'm used to seeing and I've looked a lot. But you know what they say, hours are suspect. You almost never know if they're real. But when they are high I'd assume they indeed are real - the low ones are the suspect ones.
Guys are saying have it inspected. Well, are you or I actually going to ask the owner to go through that hassle for an online sale when there are other people willing to forego that inspection? Nah. I'll buy it and take my chances. I'd prefer to see it in person but out here in Cali there are very few ASV on the market, so flea bay is one of the few ways to find what you want. ASV are concentrated in the Northeast (snow) and southeast (mud).
BTW, I operated a ASV MD70 for years. Tracked skids are awesome. Wasn't too wild about the MD70 track system though. Had to grease the thing almost every day to keep it reliable and normal turning on a hard surface...forget about it.

Ron Burgundy

Banned
Holy smokes! I just noticed that you can't edit your posts here! What's up with that? Never ever seen that on a forum before.

Steve Frazier

Founder
Staff member
You will find we do a number of things differently here at HEF. The author of a post has 10 minutes to make corrections, after that HEF staff are the only ones who can edit.

md80captain

I think the best thing to do is pay a personal visit and look the thing over in person. I am not a skid steer mechanic, but I think I can tell enough about the general condition based on what mechanical knowledge I do have, to make at least a somewhat informed decision. (How was that for a run-on sentence). The fact that the unit comes with pretty much every attachment I'd ever need and a trailer makes this a difficult deal to pass up. I think a 4 hour drive may be in my future.
Okay guys, what are the 3 big things I should pay the most attention to on my inspection? Does anyone know where I can get a checklist?
Thanks.

maddog

One thing that I would be slightly concerned with is the leaking front cylinders. They could be leaking just from normal wear or........ could be from running heavy attachments constantly? If it's from running heavy then you may also be in for some major undercarriage parts replacment. Check those bogies over with a fiune tooth comb. From what you wrote it looks like the guy is on the up and up, BUT, sometimes ya just never know. I just bought a 257b with the ASV undercarriage and all I can write is WOW, compared to a wheeled machine completely different monster. When I buy used I judge the previous owner just as much I do the machine. More then likely if the owner has a sloppy who gives a crap attitude, then you can bet the machine was probably abused and not taken care of. By what you wrote it seems you're mechanically inclined, just make sure you check the bogies and undercarriage, it's a fairly simple setup(IMO) but can be a high expense if it's trashed. Cylinders if in decent shape can be repacked quite cheap, so unless they're bent pitted or????? then that shouldn't be a big deal.

md80captain

One thing that I would be slightly concerned with is the leaking front cylinders. They could be leaking just from normal wear or........ could be from running heavy attachments constantly? If it's from running heavy then you may also be in for some major undercarriage parts replacment. Check those bogies over with a fiune tooth comb. From what you wrote it looks like the guy is on the up and up, BUT, sometimes ya just never know. I just bought a 257b with the ASV undercarriage and all I can write is WOW, compared to a wheeled machine completely different monster. When I buy used I judge the previous owner just as much I do the machine. More then likely if the owner has a sloppy who gives a crap attitude, then you can bet the machine was probably abused and not taken care of. By what you wrote it seems you're mechanically inclined, just make sure you check the bogies and undercarriage, it's a fairly simple setup(IMO) but can be a high expense if it's trashed. Cylinders if in decent shape can be repacked quite cheap, so unless they're bent pitted or????? then that shouldn't be a big deal.

Thanks for the Reply. Yes I do have an extensive mechanical background in both automotive and aviation. However, I know very little about skid steers.
One thing you said that peaked my interest was the possibility of "running heavy attachments constantly." I noticed the brush hog seems awful big and heavy for that machine and I'm wondering if the thing even has enough lifting power to effectively manage the weight especially on slopes.

md80captain

check out this video guys the machine actually looks pretty good to me. Considering the trailer and all the attachments that comes with it. It seems like an incredible deal. I imagine the skid steer as it sits has to be worth at least 12K right? The rest of the equipment is surely worth more than 8K. Just that brush hog is about a $5000+ dollar unit and the trailer would go for at least 3,000. What do you think.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=BbSveLLrBMw

maddog

Md80captain; I think it would be worth lookin at. Like I wrote the ASV uncarriage is pretty straight foreward/simple. The bogie wheels are very basic you have an axle a bogie wheel couple bearings and seals. The drive is also simple check out the "track loader parts" site they give diagrams of how everything goes together.

md80captain

I've decided to take the plunge and he has accepted my offer. He says if I don't like what I see when I get there, no problem, he'll even refund the deposit. The undercarriage looks pretty good in the video IMHO. I know the road wheels are subject to chunking, and they really don't look that bad. It seems like the tracks have some life left two. Also the engine sounds good and looks clean which is a pretty good sign. For the price, and considering all the extra stuff that comes with it, I don't see how I can go too wrong.
Thanks for the input. Now there will likely be more questions once I get it here.

maddog

I've decided to take the plunge and he has accepted my offer. He says if I don't like what I see when I get there, no problem, he'll even refund the deposit. The undercarriage looks pretty good in the video IMHO. I know the road wheels are subject to chunking, and they really don't look that bad. It seems like the tracks have some life left two. Also the engine sounds good and looks clean which is a pretty good sign. For the price, and considering all the extra stuff that comes with it, I don't see how I can go too wrong.
Thanks for the input. Now there will likely be more questions once I get it here.

:thumbsup :drinkup

md80captain

Wednesday I'm going to pick the thing up. I have not paid for the thing yet, and he did say if I wasn't satisfied with what I saw when I got there I could walk away no problem.
So I still have time to save myself. Like I've mentioned before, I've read both good and bad stories about the ASV and most of the good and bad comments pertain to the undercarriage. I have done some pricing online and it seems that there are sources for aftermarket parts that in some cases are superior to OEM for example aluminum road wheels and nylon drive sprocket rollers. The prices I've found are not all that bad on the parts, and I'm certainly capable of doing the work myself. I have not read anything else in particular that is problematic with the machine aside from some guys complaining about the hood and the pan under the engine. Personally, I think the layout of the engine makes good sense as it appears that one can easily access all sides of it as opposed to the sideways mounting of a bobcat.

Since this machine is primarily for personal use, it is going to have a pretty easy life in it's retirement. It will probably be years before I have to replace anything in the undercarriage. However, I do plan to do a major service when I get it home (after I play with it a little of course). I'll go ahead and change all the filters and fluids and fix those leaking cylinders (or replace as need be they aren't that expensive). I'll take off the tracks so I can more closely inspect the wheels. Probably go ahead and repack bearings replace seals and put those nylon rollers on the drive sprockets while I'm at it.

Any final comments about things I should look for?

Ron Burgundy

Banned
Lucky you to found one in your own state. Most of the used ones seem to be in the rust belt and I've seen lots of rust in online photos - I'm guessing salt has something to do with it or maybe they're all stored outside, or both. I used to have a MD-70 - you'll like the ride and soft terrain performance. Just keep those wheels greased, if they aren't sealed bearings. And stay off solid surfaces as much as possible.
I can't believe that guy was chewing 5" stuff very often though with that sized machine. The MD-70 had 70 horses and hi-flow and it would bog down just mowing thick grass. But the infinitely variable hydrostatic is gold. Love these machines.

Last edited: