• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Looking to buy my first skid steer

md80captain

Picked it up and there was an issue that almost killed the deal. I noticed the trailer had only 3500 pound axles and one was bent. I assumed that it was an appropriately rated trailer...NOT! His response was "you didn't ask." At any rate, I was ready to walk when he offered to knock $500 off the price and tow it for free. I went ahead and went for the deal. Now there were other issues that probably should have caused me pause. One was the condition of the tracks which were badly weathered and starting to delaminate.
No doubt I should have made a trip and looked the thing over before I bid.
At any rate, I've been using it lightly around my property for the last year and a half and have had to put a new battery in. I also had to replace 13 lugs with BAIR products lugs when I went around a corner and ripped them off. I think it was a combination of old tracks and not having the tracks tight enough. Right now I got it up on jacks and am trying to pull the tracks so I can repack all the bearings. It has a couple of bogies that are a little loose and I want to check them out lest the bearing starts spinning on the axle stub. So this is where I'm at now and not having tons of fun. I think overall I made an okay deal as the tractor does run well. Once I get the undercarriage squared away and get around to fixing that leak in the cylinder she should be okay. I did get a bunch of nice attachments with the deal that have come in real handy. I still need to get another trailer though.