• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Looking for Feed Back

crane operator

I ran a 870tts for about a year. It had the 138' main (110' also available). These are a 5 section boom, 18,000lbs ctw. Use caution when purchasing used because there is a Grove "update" for the base and innermost mid sections. They tend to pop the weld and reinforcement plate 4' in from the tip side of those sections. The one I ran was within the 10year structural warranty, and there was a repair/ exchange. They are pretty cheap used because of this problem. It really isn't much more crane than your 50 ton, look at the charts. I set some grain legs and did a lot of manbasket work with it. We ran it a lot with only 12,500 of the ctw. mounted, we could road it with a dolly and that amount of ctw. on the dolly. I also ran a gmk 85 ton all terrain, 4 axle, 125' main, 52 jib, 35,000 lbs ctw. It was way more crane. The 870 had all wheel steer (they are available either way) but the all wheel steer system isn't built real stout compared with the all terrain. A used 4070 won't cost much more than the 870. Upkeep/ maintance on the gmk will be a little pricier. I wouldn't say the road speed is a big difference, the 870 topped out maybe 60 (downhill), but average hiway speed is closer to 55, the gmk max speed is 52, but they ride like a car (really), they ride so nice compared to a spring/ walking beam. You can put the gmk anywhere, and the suspension is great for setting up. The gmk are a better buy. You may want to look at the older gmk/kmk 5 axle 120- 130 ton.

Impact

Occupation
Owner
Thanks craneoperator. That's exactly the kind of information I was looking for.

The AT700D I own drives like a dream also, so I know exactly what you're talking about. the old 300 Grove is like riding in a log truck. X-ing the 870 off my list.

liebherr1160

Occupation
Crane Operator
The Biggest whine with the older GMK-KMK model units is the carrier suspension ..

It is great ..no doubt ..but between prox sensors and Mega-Trak cylinder's combined with the suspension locking mechanism's..

holding valves that hold the cylinders when often dont hold ..not a big issue ..means the wheels will creep down when she's on outriggers ..

there's also the O-rings that hold the cylinders while your driving ..I can remember a bunch of times having a corner sag down while going down the road ..,,Its only a 30 cent O-ring takes about 2 hrs to change ..

The Auto-leveler for the suspension ..the proximity switches are forever screwing up or needing replacement ..A guy can get it right manually ..often requires a few walk around to get all the outboard drive shafts rather level

The Drive line requires as per manual ..a greasing (dont hold me to this its been a while ) every 120km

The Mercedes Diesel ..though reliable ..get some injector O-rings ..they go ..not often ..but its the only thing i can remember that would be common place on those engines ..

24Volt every where

Make it a Habit to boom up enough to jack the cab forward in the event of a no start in the morning ..If not your gonna have to jack the boom up manually ...get a box of beer manually ..

As far as the cranes goes ..If you can get it there it'll go ..IVe never had an issue with the crane..
Other than the High speed winch/boom switch on the floor ..If you float of center into the boom up in high speed ..the boom with speed up not the winch ..screws you up the first time it happens ..Its to bad on those older model's that they didnt just put a switch for the hoist alone ..rather than one switch for both ..

I did have Issues with the springs in the high speed directional valve's ..they would break ..after the High speed was disengaged an inadvertant high speed burst was the result on the next funtion ..thats how you know they are broke ..

liebherr1160

Occupation
Crane Operator
Geez, sounds to me like I'd rather have a new "boom truck" for the same price.

Geez ...little extra maintainence,grunt work and the "boom truck" guy wants to run away ...

you cant lift tow cranes, you drag'em of the road and fix'em there ..Thats why boom trucks aint cranes ...

boomguy

1 issue that would be a plus for a boom truck is that depending on the carrier almost any city has a dealer for parts and service. Thats a big issue in my line of work as they are being abused in the oilpatch heavily, due to the fact that traveling and hauling is a large part of what we do. We work with a company that has just cranes (all linkbelt) they say they are grossly underpowerd and parts are a nighmare to get. We have very few issues with getting parts for our manitex and hiab "cranes" :) other than like anything for equipment in the hoisting buisness they are expensive

classictruckman

Occupation
Tree Climber/339A Crane Operator
Effer model 1750

I'm not sure what I would call this one, its a knucle boom obviously, but it has no load carrying capacity and its not a crane. Its rated as a 175 tonner, it will pick 4600lbs at 100' and 1000lbs at it's max radius of 130'

Attachments

• 157592-DSC_0663.jpg
    157592-DSC_0663.jpg
    36.2 KB · Views: 2,248
  • 157598-DSC_0686.jpg
    157598-DSC_0686.jpg
    28.8 KB · Views: 1,602
  • 157599-DSC_0683.jpg
    157599-DSC_0683.jpg
    19.3 KB · Views: 1,414

liebherr1160

Occupation
Crane Operator
In the book it say's "crane or similar hoisting device"

this would be a similar hoisting device ..

And who ever set that one up needs to go back to "Crane Set up 101 ...and check the page where it says get the beams parallel..

the right rear one is way off ..a novice operator ..probably just got the in house training ..and away you go ..

Every trained operator knows this ..

Last edited:

boomguy

i will just ignore liebherr's 1 track mind lol. That knuckle boom clasictruckman is amazing where did u find those pics? I like how the outriggers cross beams, probably to get full 360 chart. I noticed the new 55 ton national has the same on the front outriggers to get away from the jac mounted on the front bumper

liebherr1160

Occupation
Crane Operator
1 issue that would be a plus for a boom truck is that depending on the carrier almost any city has a dealer for parts and service. Thats a big issue in my line of work as they are being abused in the oilpatch heavily, due to the fact that traveling and hauling is a large part of what we do. We work with a company that has just cranes (all linkbelt) they say they are grossly underpowerd and parts are a nighmare to get. We have very few issues with getting parts for our manitex and hiab "cranes" :) other than like anything for equipment in the hoisting buisness they are expensive

Funny ..we have defered to Linkbelt for cheaper prices for the same parts for our Grove's ..not that they are any easier to get ..

Solenoids,Electrical cable and such ..quite often if the part preforms a basic function it pays to shop around..

I remember when the PTO pneumatic cylinder went in a Grove 700E ..couldnt just replace the cylinder nope ...the whole mounting bracket ..a steel plate on the back of the transmission had to get changed ..for about $800.. a year later I called the shop I had the original one in my hand at Princess Auto ..for $45..a quick look and the replacement cylinder was there to ..for sightly more money ..

Last edited:

heavylift

And who ever set that one up needs to go back to "Crane Set up 101 ...and check the page where it says get the beams parallel..

the right rear one is way off ..a novice operator ..probably just got the in house training ..and away you go ..

It also appears to be rather close to an electrical line

liebherr1160

Occupation
Crane Operator

In away yes ..but its drop line ..off 3phase ..usally shielded ....Its a grey area ..an average person should be able to touch that ....Hes got a good 40ft to the High tension ..

You missed the no dunnage as it appears ..but hard to say with the snow ..

But then it begs the question ..why the snow wasnt cleared ..dosent matter what you put down on snow ..it turns to ice and in turn leaves a guy open to be a passenger on a giant skate ..

liebherr1160

Occupation
Crane Operator

As I said earlier ..novice ..my brother got the Hiab half day Hail Mary full of Grace course and away you go...
When I asked him about the hydro ..He said it was only touched on and the point was not to get to close ..Limits of approach ..I faxed him a copy ..

boomguy

Funny ..we have defered to Linkbelt for cheaper prices for the same parts for our Grove's ..not that they are any easier to get ..

Solenoids,Electrical cable and such ..quite often if the part preforms a basic function it pays to shop around..

I remember when the PTO pneumatic cylinder went in a Grove 700E ..couldnt just replace the cylinder nope ...the whole mounting bracket ..a steel plate on the back of the transmission had to get changed ..for about $800.. a year later I called the shop I had the original one in my hand at Princess Auto ..for $45..a quick look and the replacement cylinder was there to ..for sightly more money ..

Its amazing how as soon as its bought from a dealer they up the price.
I was lowering a 120' flare stack with a 30 ton terex/stinger the stack swung around and parts from the a2b switch rained down beside the truck, any way i priced out just the switch from danco in Edmonton 3200.00 as i was picking myself off the floor i noticed that the greer made switch had a 1-800 number on the back i phoned them with the part number, with shipping and import fees the total price came to 395.00. A tad bit of a mark up:eek:

classictruckman

Occupation
Tree Climber/339A Crane Operator

I'm not sure his state requires licensing or even training, but this guy runs his own tree service and not only does he operate this crane, but he does it while in the tree via radio remote. He's like me a climber and an operator except he does them at the same time.

liebherr1160

Occupation
Crane Operator
Its amazing how as soon as its bought from a dealer they up the price.
I was lowering a 120' flare stack with a 30 ton terex/stinger the stack swung around and parts from the a2b switch rained down beside the truck, any way i priced out just the switch from danco in Edmonton 3200.00 as i was picking myself off the floor i noticed that the greer made switch had a 1-800 number on the back i phoned them with the part number, with shipping and import fees the total price came to 395.00. A tad bit of a mark up:eek:

Thats a bit much ..

Even the Pat A2B's are not that bad and they have a internal resistor